General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Headlight - Left Front (HID) Problem G37 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 PM
andy404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight - Left Front (HID) Problem G37 Sedan

Hey all,

I've got a 2009 Infiniti G37 Blue Slate Sedan. Recenly, I eclipsed the ever so infamous 60k mile mark. Lucky me, it was only after this point a comedic series of things started to go wrong with my car: the light behind my clock went out, the instrument cluster backlight failed, the brakes need repairing, all of my tires appear bald (only kidding, that's my fault). I took my car in today because I noticed the left front headlight would not power on at night. I performed a small amount of troubleshooting (turn the lights on and off several times) and eventually the light would flicker, then slowly a charge would build and the light would eventually come on. However, that was two weeks ago and now I am to the point now where that no longer works effectively. The dealership and they quoted me a whole new light assembly (go figure) with labor for $1,500. They claim the only issue is that the ballast in this headlight is not working correctly and sometimes may not produce a charge and that the headlight is perfectly fine.

I'm curious, can't I take this to an import shop and have them just replace the ballast? The part online is relatively inexpensive. The dealership claims you must replace the entire assembly, but my gut tells me otherwise. Anyone else have this problem? Any advice on the issue is much appreciated!

P.S. This month was also my last car payment
Old 09-13-2014, 07:28 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by andy404
Hey all,

I've got a 2009 Infiniti G37 Blue Slate Sedan. Recenly, I eclipsed the ever so infamous 60k mile mark. Lucky me, it was only after this point a comedic series of things started to go wrong with my car: the light behind my clock went out, the instrument cluster backlight failed, the brakes need repairing, all of my tires appear bald (only kidding, that's my fault). I took my car in today because I noticed the left front headlight would not power on at night. I performed a small amount of troubleshooting (turn the lights on and off several times) and eventually the light would flicker, then slowly a charge would build and the light would eventually come on. However, that was two weeks ago and now I am to the point now where that no longer works effectively. The dealership and they quoted me a whole new light assembly (go figure) with labor for $1,500. They claim the only issue is that the ballast in this headlight is not working correctly and sometimes may not produce a charge and that the headlight is perfectly fine.

I'm curious, can't I take this to an import shop and have them just replace the ballast? The part online is relatively inexpensive. The dealership claims you must replace the entire assembly, but my gut tells me otherwise. Anyone else have this problem? Any advice on the issue is much appreciated!

P.S. This month was also my last car payment
Try replacing it yourself

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...placement.html

Telcoman
Old 09-17-2014, 06:43 AM
thedonjp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes you can take it to a tuner shop. Have them to look it over before buying anything unless you know for sure it's the issue.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:59 PM
bmy986
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you haven't done this yet look at HID Ballast Replacement thread i started. Its pretty straight-forward.