General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Buying my first g37s tomorrow, what's the verdict 2013 on clutch life?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 06:17 PM
SupraTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying my first g37s tomorrow, what's the verdict 2013 on clutch life?

Hey guys I'm new to the board. Just sold my 91 Nsx and I am to pick up an 08 g37s. I've read that the clutch slave/master cylinders are notorious for going bad on these cars. Or are they? In the Nsx community we were always taught to flush and replace out clutch fluid every year to avoid particulates damaging the cylinders. Similarly many people thought the Nsx ate clutches for breakfast until it was discovered that many were novice stickshifters. Is this the case with these cars? Debris clogging and eventually damaging the cylinders, or are they just faulty cylinders? I've also read that some cars were recalled for the 6mt transmissions also, aside from synchro issues. Can we hear both sides of this. Is the clutch issue something that can be avoid with good driver skill or am I doomed to the same fate as some of these owners? How many of you are on the stock clutch? please post your year/mileage and whether youve just changed your smc/cmc preventatively or as a result of failure.
My prospective car has 65k miles with no previous records of maintenance work. I buy it in good faith, plus it's offered at a price I can't refuse.

Also, has the battery drain issue officially been resolved as being the emissions valve?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Your help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to being part of the community.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
The stock clutch does have a learning curve. Some of us get by with just replacing it with the weaker assist spring. This changes the pedal feel for better feedback. Or for ~$250 or so, you can get a fully adjustable pedal bracket that lets you vary the friction zone window.

I don't drive too many miles annually, so my fluid change schedule is every 2 years (brakes/clutch). But agreed, deterioration and debris in the fluid is what likely leads to eventual breakdown of the slave (CSC).