General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Opinions on Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Stevew999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Oil Change

New G owner here and just wondering what the conventional thinking is regarding on oil change service: dealer's service department or one of the standard speedy places?

I just got the car and have not dealt with Infiniti as a service provider so any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I have considered DIY and probably will at some point but to start I want everything done as per standard specs.

Thanks, Steve.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 PM
MrBig

I would go to Infiniti or Nissan if you don't DIY. Most people put in synthetic, that can get pricy at the dealer. Sometimes you can save a few $$$ if you bring in your own oil.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Stevew999

Thanks- I appreciate the insight.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Sunny's G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea to get it done at the dealership. Doesn't cost much anyways. Plus you can trust people who are trained precisely for your car (although there are exceptions).
On the flip side, check this out.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...otsa-pics.html
Each can decide which route to go with and what to trust
Congrats on the new car !!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Stevew999

Thank you- great info. I'm VERY happy with the car. I have had my eye on one of these for a long time and was very close to an '08 TL then happened upon this one. Way more car than the Acura.

Taking this one in Friday to have the exhaust replaced (due to the infamous rattle), have them look at the steering wheel bezel scratches as well as some cracks forming in the driver's seat. I just called the dealer today and he told me to plan on an hour or so for the muffler issue. I was expecting some kind of pushback but he said he would do a replacement without even hearing the noise. I thought that was quite impressive as I was expecting them to want to hear it, then plan a remediation.

Not sure how far I will get with the steering wheel and seat but it's worth a try.

I am also doing some research on my paint. It's black so it has swirls but there are some very strange little 'dots' (for lack of a better description) on the surface of the hood. I hadn't noticed them until about my 2nd wash. I am going to clay, then polish with the PC 7424XP and hope all is well in the end but I'm also going to ask about this when I go back to the dealer.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Yea I used Synthetic -mobil 1-every 2500 like clock work at the dealer. 63$ well spent.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:30 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I am going to say what everyone is saying in reverse.

Anywhere except a franchised speedy oil place.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevew999
Thank you- great info. I'm VERY happy with the car. I have had my eye on one of these for a long time and was very close to an '08 TL then happened upon this one. Way more car than the Acura.

Taking this one in Friday to have the exhaust replaced (due to the infamous rattle), have them look at the steering wheel bezel scratches as well as some cracks forming in the driver's seat. I just called the dealer today and he told me to plan on an hour or so for the muffler issue. I was expecting some kind of pushback but he said he would do a replacement without even hearing the noise. I thought that was quite impressive as I was expecting them to want to hear it, then plan a remediation.

Not sure how far I will get with the steering wheel and seat but it's worth a try.

I am also doing some research on my paint. It's black so it has swirls but there are some very strange little 'dots' (for lack of a better description) on the surface of the hood. I hadn't noticed them until about my 2nd wash. I am going to clay, then polish with the PC 7424XP and hope all is well in the end but I'm also going to ask about this when I go back to the dealer.
It might have been repainted at some point. You can tell if there isn't any stock "orange peel" on those areas and it is mostly flat. Stock orange peel is very easy to spot on black in the shade (if the car is decently clean).

I basically had my entire passenger side repainted when someone's window blew up on my car as they were passing me on the right on the freeway.

As for oil changes, the worst part is removing the air deflector/shield to get access to the oil filter & drain. It isn't like honda where you have a beam or something in the way that causes oil to splash everywhere.

Get some race ramps, buy some Mobile-1 at costco or walmart, and save yourself some money!

Last edited by cruzmisl; 04-18-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
As for oil changes, the worst part is removing the air deflector/shield to get access to the oil filter & drain.
You DO NOT have to remove the shield, just remove the 5 rear bolts, and fold the flap forward!!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 PM
brainpa

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"I just called the dealer today and he told me to plan on an hour or so for the muffler issue. I was expecting some kind of pushback but he said he would do a replacement without even hearing the noise. "

That's cause there is a TSB out for it... I had it done as well.

I use the dealership and buy and bring in my own Royal Purple.