General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Strange noise at start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2011-G
Started having the same issue with my G

The belt or pulley noise is extremely loud at cold starts and then eventually goes away when the car gets warmed up - I replaced my serpentine belt about 200 miles ago and the noise just started recently - I know for a fact it's not the belt. The noise seems to be coming from the water pump pulley

Super annoying!!! Strange that it's got quieter after getting a full tank of Gas - Not even sure how the 2 are related but just throwing it out there.. I might have damaged the tensioner pulley while replacing the belt but the noise started after 200-300 miles of belt replacement.

Any one knows what this is? Is this common?
Houston TX area G-owner as well with this same problem. Cold mornings and nights and it is scary loud and squeaky sound. I have 122k miles on my G and no more warranty. Has anyone else figured this out yet???
Old 01-04-2018, 07:02 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by vdpinc01
Houston TX area G-owner as well with this same problem. Cold mornings and nights and it is scary loud and squeaky sound. I have 122k miles on my G and no more warranty. Has anyone else figured this out yet???
So if you follow the path of the serpentine belt then it’s a short list of things it could be:
  1. The belt itself. Highly unlikely bc it’s new but keep in mind this new belt is tighter and shorter than old belt, therefore creating the noise. Move onto the next bullet below.
  2. Idler pulleys - I don’t recall how many idler pulleys there are, but it could be 2 or 3. These are held on by a single bolt. They have bearings that wear over time and will squeal when cold and worn. A tighter belt will definitely add more noise in this serpentine path. These are cheap and easy to fix (<$20 and a single bolt). Try this replacement first.
  3. Belt tensioner - 2nd least expensive, easily changed if you chg the idler pulleys. It is right in front of you. 1-2 bolts.
  4. Power steering pump - more expensive than previous but could be a culprit
  5. A/C pulley - prob the most expensive fix if this is going bad.
  6. Crankshaft pulley - highly unlikely but never rule out.

This is the key post for the DIY’r: https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...an-09-g37.html

My guess to why it stopped making noise after filling it up is that the engine sat idle and warmed up the grease/bearings to stop the noise.

You’ll get it but I would start with replacing the idler pulleys and tensioner. <$150 if you DIY

Last edited by petemo94; 01-04-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Fixing formatting that didnt work on the phone
Old 01-04-2018, 07:49 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Forgot the Alternator as being in the loop of the serpentine belt.

Also, here's the diagram of the components that will help things.

The following users liked this post:
vdpinc01 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:18 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Originally Posted by petemo94
Forgot the Alternator as being in the loop of the serpentine belt.

Also, here's the diagram of the components that will help things.

Thanks Petemo, I will definitely try the pulley's out first.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:22 AM
rajpatel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any update on this?

Having the exact same issue and have a video if anyone wants to see. Mechanic is thinking starter, but wasn't able to reproduce yesterday. They will try again today
Old 02-08-2018, 01:48 PM
mitheralice
Registered Member

My car makes a similar sound, I've chalked it up to be the clutch release bearing, as the clutch begins to rotate.

To be noted: I did a power steering flush, and clutch fluid flush and I haven't heard that sound since. These were done approx 2000km ago.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Datdude1119
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So did anyone ever figure this out?

My car makes the same exact noise that is in the video. Typically only happens after the car has sat over night in the garage. There aren't any other strange noises happening at all other than that one and only for a split second after a cold start. I've attempted to pin point where the noise is coming from by having someone start the car several times while i listened with the hood up. After about 4-5 times of starting and shutting the car off, attempting to find the origin of the noise, it stops making it. This is why i'm having a hard time believing it could be the starter as some have suggested, and makes me question the pulleys. Seems like after a few times of starting, something warms up and the noise goes away.

I was thinking it could be either a idler pulley or maybe one of the pumps/compressors. Any new ideas? or has anyone solved their issue?