General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Anyone try racing fuel in their G?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
EVO-to-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unless your tuned for it i doubt you'll see a huge difference...maybe a very slight difference.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
I fill up with 98 octanes over here..living on racing fuel lol
****, I'd run my lawn mower on that stuff if it was 10 cents a gallon too. lol
Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by xcess torq
That compression ratio is why you run premium. My primary point is that most cars are not designed to advance the timing to take advantage of a higher octane fuel. They can retard timing to run on lower octane to prevent knocking. But I doubt they reverse this. Also, I believe higher octane has a different burn rate which again could cause your car problems in the long run.

I am sure a quick google search will provide more expert information, I am mostly going from memory. And I am sure my opinion is an over simplification of the issue. Regardless, it is a waste of money to run over 91/93 octane. It may be "fun" but it is costly.
This post is right. Unless you change the programming too, this is a waste of money.

Originally Posted by VIP G
^^bc it burns the higher octane fuel, basically an injector cleaner is an octane booster, aka racing gas is higher in octane.
This is not correct. Racing fuel is not like a fuel cleaner of any type.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Frank

+1 waste of money. Any difference you might feel will be all in your head.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
pass1over

put a s2k on the dyno with 93 octane and to0k base numbers. Put it back on the dyno with a tank of 110 octane and it made LESS power.

These cars arent tuned for anything over 93 probably, your just wasting money.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
This is not correct. Racing fuel is not like a fuel cleaner of any type.
Yes it is, this def helps keep everything clean in there
Old 01-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Yes it is, this def helps keep everything clean in there
The fuel/air mixture burns cleaner but the fuel does not "clean" anything. If you have carbon deposites on the back of the valves or any gumming of the injectors, running race fuel will not fix that.

Many people get the "burns cleaner" confused with being a fuel system cleaner. Two totally different things. If you're saying that 'by running higher octane fuel from day one, you can keep everything cleaner', then you would be right. But if you're saying 'high octane fuel can be used as a substitute for a fuel system cleaner or an injector cleaner', then you are wrong.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
aznutx

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I fill up with 98 octanes over here..living on racing fuel lol
isnt the whole octane measuring system different over there and over in the states?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
The fuel/air mixture burns cleaner but the fuel does not "clean" anything. If you have carbon deposites on the back of the valves or any gumming of the injectors, running race fuel will not fix that.

Many people get the "burns cleaner" confused with being a fuel system cleaner. Two totally different things. If you're saying that 'by running higher octane fuel from day one, you can keep everything cleaner', then you would be right. But if you're saying 'high octane fuel can be used as a substitute for a fuel system cleaner or an injector cleaner', then you are wrong.
No again you are incorrect. The higher octane gas does help keep the injectors and everything in there cleaner. I'm not saying use that instead of a cleaner but it does clean everything in there.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

No again you are incorrect. The higher octane gas does help keep the injectors and everything in there cleaner. I'm not saying use that instead of a cleaner but it does clean everything in there.
Please post a link to the source of your information, or any proof of this being true.

FYI, I searched this for almost an hour today and everything discredits your claims except one shady fuel manufacturer. I've spent more time researching fuel system cleaners than I ever care to admit. I have more knowledge on this subject than most and would love to share it if asked. Saying I'm incorrect doesn't make it so. Maybe I am incorrect, just prove it.

This isn't talking about racing fuel, just higher octane ratings: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut12.shtm

One good point I read a lot of today was that higher octane fuels usually have more cleaners than the cheaper fuels to go along with the higher price tag. But were talking racing fuel here and most those don't have any cleaner in them.

Please post a creditable link proving that racing gas (100+ octane) cleans the injectors. I would love to see that. I'm always open for more information and knowledge on this subject.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Please post a link to the source of your information, or any proof of this being true.

FYI, I searched this for almost an hour today and everything discredits your claims except one shady fuel manufacturer. I've spent more time researching fuel system cleaners than I ever care to admit. I have more knowledge on this subject than most and would love to share it if asked. Saying I'm incorrect doesn't make it so. Maybe I am incorrect, just prove it.

This isn't talking about racing fuel, just higher octane ratings: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...tos/aut12.shtm

One good point I read a lot of today was that higher octane fuels usually have more cleaners than the cheaper fuels to go along with the higher price tag. But were talking racing fuel here and most those don't have any cleaner in them.

Please post a creditable link proving that racing gas (100+ octane) cleans the injectors. I would love to see that. I'm always open for more information and knowledge on this subject.

This is the correct post.

Actually, isn't higher octane going to be a combustion inhibitor, therefore if anything, it would increase the possibility for carbon deposits?