G37 Sedan

2012 6MT Sport Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 12:40 PM
gannicus
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 6MT Sport Sedan

I just wanted some feelers out there. Long story short, I am pretty over driving a manual. I work from home and barely drive it and the times that I do I just wish I had an automatic.

It has about 105k miles. Changed the clutch and installed a CMAK kit in January 2023. I work remote so I barely drive it.

I was thinking either an f150 or a Forester XT, something with some utility but automatic.

I didn't post this in the G's FS since I don't have a price or have pictures.

Located in SoCal. I have the pink slip.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:52 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 244 Likes on 204 Posts
The 6MT is highly sought after by enthusiasts @gannicus , so you should snap some pics and list the car for sale to see what you could get as the mileage is reasonable for a 2012 (~9500 miles per year?).

Is the car stock for the most part? In addition to the standard rock chips found on an 11 year old car, any bumps, bruises or curb rash on the wheels? Interior in good shape? Have you kept up on the maintenance?
Old 06-08-2023, 02:22 PM
gannicus
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
The 6MT is highly sought after by enthusiasts @gannicus , so you should snap some pics and list the car for sale to see what you could get as the mileage is reasonable for a 2012 (~9500 miles per year?).

Is the car stock for the most part? In addition to the standard rock chips found on an 11 year old car, any bumps, bruises or curb rash on the wheels? Interior in good shape? Have you kept up on the maintenance?
When I first bought it I was an enthusiast. These days, not as much and certainly not enough to keep driving a manual. I am posting it here first because I would like it to go into good hands.

As far as condition:
- it is parked outside so the top has some clearcoat peeling despite my efforts with weekly washes and spray wax; I keep a car cover on it now.
- Wheels have seen better days but not bent or anything like that
- Interior is in good shape but the driver seat has the leather cracking on the left side (not where you sit but the side of the seat)
- There are minor dents on the exterior (which I assume is from people opening their door on my car in the parking lot) and the dog chewed on the front fender. You can miss it on first glance, but you can see it on further inspection (will show in pictures).
- Maintenance I have been OCD about. Oil changes every 3700 miles with either pennzoil platinum or mobil 1. I added a setrab oil cooler. Brake fluid, differential fluid and power steering fluid changes. Brake pads are akebono. SS clutch and brake lines. RJM Pedal. I would change the drive belts in the next 15k miles (regardless of condition) but they look good with no cracks.
- The only issues were a water leak years ago that was fixed by the dealer under warranty; the oil gallery leak that was fixed under warranty with updated oem metal gaskets
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 02:36 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 244 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by gannicus
When I first bought it I was an enthusiast. These days, not as much and certainly not enough to keep driving a manual.
You live in LA, so no need to explain as I have often wondered if entrance into hell required navigating rush hour El Segundo/LAX traffic on the 405 with a stick shift. San Diego traffic is also much worse as a result of the pandemic as many people from the Bay and LA have moved here and work remotely; I romanticize about owning one, but I'd likely end up in the same shoes as you. SoCal in general is a no-Stick zone for all but the most dedicated enthusiasts.

Nonetheless, as the G sedan platforms becomes increasingly collectible as a balanced, affordable, reliable used JDM sport sedan with excellent performance out of the box, your 6MT will only become more desirable. Especially since the car has likely never seen inclement weather (i.e. snow and salted roads, which destroy cars).

Having the gallery gasket repair done under warranty is a huge plus (known issue on earlier models) as that eliminates one of the most costly repairs a buyer "may" encounter (not every G is affected); your maintenance history also looks solid. Drive belt is a DIY or reasonable cost job at the dealer (I had mine done there at 65K with some other work).

Inquiring minds want to know what a dog was doing chewing on your fender :-)

Last edited by socketz67; 06-08-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:45 PM
gannicus
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
You live in LA, so no need to explain my as I have often wondered if entrance into hell required navigating rush hour El Segundo/LAX traffic on the 405 in a stick shift. San Diego traffic is also much worse as a result of the pandemic as many people from the Bay and LA have moved here and work remotely; I romanticize about owning one, but I'd likely end up in the same shoes as you. SoCal in general is a no-Stick zone for all but the most dedicated enthusiasts.

Nonetheless, as the G sedan platforms becomes increasingly collectible as a balanced, affordable, reliable used JDM sport sedan with excellent performance out of the box, your 6MT will only become more desirable. Especially since the car has likely never seen inclement weather.

Having the gallery gasket repair earlier under warranty is a huge plus (known issue on earlier models) as that eliminates one of the most costly repairs a buyer "may" encounter (not every G is affected); your maint. history also looks solid. Drive belt is a DIY or reasonable cost job at the dealer (I had mine done there at 65K with some other work).

Inquiring minds want to know what a dog was doing chewing on your fender :-)
Exactly the issue with having a stick in so cal. Plus I barely drive it now due to being a remote worker. The last oil change was actually done sooner than 3k miles because too many months passed for my comfort.

LOL the dog chewing is a simple one. She was a shelter pitbull puppy; that breed is notorious for chewing as pups. She had ropes, *****, nylabones; pretty much any chew toy. Well one morning I heard some crunching and ran out to make sure she wasn't chewing rocks or something....nope there she was near my fender.
Old 06-09-2023, 11:34 PM
gannicus
Registered Member

Bumping this. Here are some images of my G. I am not a good photographer but did try to highlight some of the flaws.

https://imgur.com/a/qECBoCS
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (06-10-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 09:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,605 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Use the FS forum to sell your car. No feeler threads.

/closed