Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

09' 6MT Sedan vs 2-3year old CPO 6MT 550/Sport package!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 01:17 PM
stratos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09' 6MT Sedan vs 2-3year old CPO 6MT 550/Sport package!

I had this dilemma for a while, I still do in some ways, and even though I have pretty much decided what to get I'd like to read what you guys think about this.

Here are my thoughts to start this up:

1. Price is a toss up. It will depend on the 550's mileage and how close to 2 years old it will be.
2. Performance wise, I like both. I don't think I will be missing anything going either way.
3. Size, I like the Bmw more. I'm 6.4 with 2 kids and I can see me being more comfortable in the 550
4. Prestige.. lol. I don't care about it directly but indirectly I do(hypocrite??). You see, friends and family will be more impressed with a 550 on my driveway. But the G is already a major upgrade from my maxima so whatever...
5. Looks: I like the Gs interior better of course but exterior I have my doubts. I've seen a couple of 550s with the sport package and they are sexy. I just light up whenever I spot one, and they are a rare car to spot.
But then again, I spotted a garnet ember 6sp once and I was drooling so much I almost changed direction to follow it.

And last but not least:

6. Reliability.
This is the clincher for me. There is no way I will accept as normal to know the service tech's first name. It seems that the majority of bmw owners are in a first name basis with the dealership's service techs. To me a visit to the dealership for something wrong with the car is a visit too many. Extra(factory+CPO) warranties be damned. There are cases where people had no problems but I don't like my chances of getting one of those cars. Look at this car for example. Why would I want to consider continuing this car's saga of visits to the dealership? And this is a certified car?? OMG!

For the G, other than the software bugs with the AT(irrelevant in my case), I haven't heard anything go wrong with the car. So the choice is clear, at least to me.

I'm curious to see what you guys think just in case I'm missing something or if I am thinking the wrong way about certain things. For the record, I know this is the G forums and you guys will be probably biased but I don't dare post this on the 5 series forums. There are some members there that their blind loyalty to the brand is pretty disturbing.

Thanks for the input,

Stratos.-
Old 04-23-2009, 01:43 PM
emtrey

I have owned 5 BMWs, 2 MINIs , 2 Volvos and an Audi..I just bought my wife a G because I am tired of the after warranty nose bleed repair bills. Under warranty , a 550 is no doubt "more car" than any G or M Infiniti if you like the styling ( I am not crazy about it but would love a 1 series). BUT...be prepared to go infor more frequent and more costly service once BMW is done paying the bill.

I bought the G because I felt it was the car that came as close as possible to the German sedan feel w/ better relaibilty and less costly repairs.So far, I really like driving the car. I hope I am right on the reliability.

After I bought the car, I was talking to the sales mgr who used to be at their BMW store down the street. I told him how much I liked driving the G37X and that I wanted a BMW/Audi feel w/o the bills. His response..than you bought the right car. We don't do anywhere near the amt of service per vehicle as at the BMW store. Not good for ME (him) as we have to rely more on sales and aftermarket profts to keep the store making money. That says it all.

PS...I still drive a MINI and a german sports car but not a DD so I can live with the costs.

Last edited by emtrey; 04-23-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
G37nS2K

so you are going to choose the G for reliability issue?

my car is a year and 3 months old, 12 problems(7TSBs) been in the dealership for almost 2 months....

i hate my car with all my passion only if it was not lease

i would get a rid of it in a heart beat.!