G37 Sedan

Is there a brand of sunshade that fits/works well in your sedan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Is there a brand of sunshade that fits/works well in your sedan?

To try to keep my car cool in the summer and save my dash I have been using some universal sunshades that fold up to store well, but do not fit the best. I don't really see any specific sunshades for our cars. I was just wondering for those of use that use sunshades- which ones are good and which ones are garbage before I order one? They seem to range quite a bit in price. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Covercraft.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...g37-sedan.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
backman_66 (10-13-2022), TheOnlyForte (06-20-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks Rochester. You still use that one and like it? It sounds like the cover gets pretty hot. Do you have to put down the visors to hold it in place?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Thanks Rochester. You still use that one and like it? It sounds like the cover gets pretty hot. Do you have to put down the visors to hold it in place?
Still have it, still use it in the summer. Wife's car too. Yes, the visors keep it in place. The fitment is OEM perfect, and the build quality is excellent. Highly recommend it.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:39 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Does it make a big difference? I had a generic bendy / fabric one and it was junk... threw it out.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Still have it, still use it in the summer. Wife's car too. Yes, the visors keep it in place. The fitment is OEM perfect, and the build quality is excellent. Highly recommend it.
That's good news. Do you ever use it for a full 8-12 hour day in the sun? I'm only asking because it sounds like a number of people say it gets super hot to the touch.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 PM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
11$ at wally world....few color choices if silver is not your thing and it works as well as anything out there ....i mean it blocks the sun...voila ...had mine for 2 summers and it started to wear out a bit...but that's FL summer...pretty much April to October lol...so a lot of use...so for price bought another ...unless it's got a solar type cooling fan or some other gizmo...its just a barrier and not worth spending much on achieving basically the same result...

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That's good news. Do you ever use it for a full 8-12 hour day in the sun? I'm only asking because it sounds like a number of people say it gets super hot to the touch.
The family car, sure. The G, not so much since I started working from home. But those first few years it would sit in the office park all day, and I don't remember there being an issue.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 AM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Weathertech makes a nice shade too. I have one for my G coupe and my Q50, fits great, has a reflective side for the summer and a black side to attract heat in the cold winter months (this is what attracted me away from covercraft).I leave it up in the hot sun during the entire daylight hours. It does its job and when I take it down its not hot, it's barely even warm.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:01 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I got some twist and pop style shades from Pep Boys. They cost about $10. They are not custom fit obviously, but good enough for me. They are about 2 years old and so far holding up very well.

I chose these mainly because when they are folded, i can fit them in the mesh pocket behind the front seats.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KidJai06
Weathertech makes a nice shade too. I have one for my G coupe and my Q50, fits great, has a reflective side for the summer and a black side to attract heat in the cold winter months (this is what attracted me away from covercraft).I leave it up in the hot sun during the entire daylight hours. It does its job and when I take it down its not hot, it's barely even warm.
How do you use the black side to attract heat in the winter?

Originally Posted by antirice
I got some twist and pop style shades from Pep Boys. They cost about $10. They are not custom fit obviously, but good enough for me. They are about 2 years old and so far holding up very well.

I chose these mainly because when they are folded, i can fit them in the mesh pocket behind the front seats.
This sounds like what I use now. Small silver square-ish discs with wire around them (see below) so they twist and fold up to about half their normal size for storage. They seem to work decently, but I don't get 100% coverage in some corners and they require a try or two to stay up behind the mirror. I guess I thought a full size custom cut one would fit better and stay up better while keeping more heat out due to the thickness, but now I am not so sure. It looks like the best cut ones still require you to put down your visors to stay in place and have some decent gaps that let in a fair amount of light.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Rochester
Administrator

How do you use the black side to attract heat in the winter?
Turn them around, black-side facing out.

This sounds like what I use now. Small silver square-ish discs with wire around them (see below) so they twist and fold up to about half their normal size for storage.
We have a pair of those in my kid's Sentra. OMG, I can't hate on those things enough whenever I'm forced to drive her car in the summer. It's way too much bother to fold them up proper and tuck them away somewhere, so they just get thrown in the back seat. And the coverage sucks, it's almost impossible to get them properly situated between the mirror and the visors. About the only good thing I can say is they're better than nothing.

Then I use the Covercraft shades in my car or my wife's, and it's so easy because the fitment is perfect.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:31 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Turn them around, black-side facing out.
Why would you want to do that? It wouldn't really heat the car much. If the sun were out at all it would melt snow and ice from the outside, not the inside. Or is the idea that it may help a little bit if you have just ice on your windshield and it is really sunny? I would think a good scraper would work better.

We have a pair of those in my kid's Sentra. OMG, I can't hate on those things enough whenever I'm forced to drive her car in the summer. It's way too much bother to fold them up proper and tuck them away somewhere, so they just get thrown in the back seat. And the coverage sucks, it's almost impossible to get them properly situated between the mirror and the visors. About the only good thing I can say is they're better than nothing.

Then I use the Covercraft shades in my car or my wife's, and it's so easy because the fitment is perfect.
That's strange. I just toss them in the trunk. I only fold them up in the fall when I am done using them for the year. Looking at the pictures it seems like mine provide a little bit better coverage than the "cut to fit" ones do. I don't have to drop the visors with mine at all. They just sit behind the mirror. Maybe mine are just a bit bigger? They usually overlap a touch.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Why would you want to do that? It wouldn't really heat the car much.
Beats me, I've never done it. I agree, doubt it would make a difference.

That's strange. I just toss them in the trunk. I only fold them up in the fall when I am done using them for the year.
Which means accessing the trunk to use them, and accessing the trunk to put them away, hence the inconvenience. If I left my shade in the trunk over the summer, odds are I'd never bother getting it out. But I'm not you and vise versa.

Looking at the pictures it seems like mine provide a little bit better coverage than the "cut to fit" ones do.
I can't imagine how that's possible, but OK. Maybe you already have the shades you need.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:11 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Which means accessing the trunk to use them, and accessing the trunk to put them away, hence the inconvenience. If I left my shade in the trunk over the summer, odds are I'd never bother getting it out. But I'm not you and vise versa.
Oh so you fold up your shade and just leave it in the back seat when you drive? I guess I could do that because it would probably be heavy enough not to get blown around too much while on the highway with the windows down. The ones I have now are too light for that and that is why I throw them in the trunk. I feel like I am grossly over analyzing this, but then again, it seems like we both do this and it usually leads to the right decision in the end.

These things take just enough time to put up and take down that it is a bit of a hassle every time it is hot and sunny outside. My wife's Maxima has a power sunshade for the back seat. This got me thinking that a cool feature for new cars would be a power sunshade that automatically went up to cover the windshield once the cabin reached a certain temp. It could even have solar panels on it to trickle charge the battery or run the A/C like the sunroof in the old Mazda 929. There's my next million dollar idea. Help me get it into production so we can retire.

Quick Reply: Is there a brand of sunshade that fits/works well in your sedan?