Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car rolls when parked on a snowy incline

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Madam Fab

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car rolls when parked on a snowy incline

(reposting because I accidentally posted the first one under off-topic and I think it'll get seen by more sedan owners here)

Ok so after lurking here for over a year, I finally bought myself a 2011 G37x a week ago today. It's got about 150,000 km on it and a clean carfax. I live up in Nothern Ontario, so I had to travel about 4 hours south to Toronto to find one.

I was so happy! It drives so well, it's so comfortable, it's everything I wanted it to be.

Fast forward a couple of days, when I go check on a friend's place while he's away and park it in his very steep hill of a driveway. It's snow-covered but not icy. I park, throw the e-brake on too just in case and go inside. I'm not inside for 2 minutes when my friend who was with me shouts that my car is rolling down the driveway!!

I run outside, and luckily it stopped at the bottom of the driveway as soon as the back tires hit dry flat ground.

Of course, I panicked, thinking something was definitely wrong with it. I took it to my brother who is a hobby mechanic and he tries a bunch of things and everything seems ok, so we figure it must have been a fluke where the wet snow slid or something.

Today, after some errands, I am sitting parked behind my place and after a few minutes, I feel the car roll backward. So I instinctively hit the brakes. Now the laneway that I was parked in is only on a very slight incline. It's hard packed slush but it's not super icy. I've tried to recreate it a few times both facing uphill and downhill and I've gotten it on video. (link at the bottom)

As far as my brother can tell, there's nothing wrong with the transmission and it is doing what it is supposed to but is just poorly designed and that snow tires would solve the problem. I can't imagine that this is the case, I feel like I would have seen at least SOMEONE somewhere complaining about it.

For the record, there are brand new all-seasons on the car. I do plan on buying a set of winters but I'm worried that there's more to it than that.

I've been driving rentals for work for the past 2 years and NEVER did I have to worry about some junky little Hyundai Accent or something equivalent rolling down a snowy hill unattended and the rental places use all-season tires around here. It just seems like a problem I shouldn't be having.

TLDR; Are you able to park your G37x on a snowy hill and have it stay put??

(I honestly don't know which answer would be worse - that there is something horribly wrong with my long-awaited car or that this is normal and something I just have to deal with if I want to own a G37x in a snowy climate...)

Videos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yYmJSkQX2tvnEest9
The following users liked this post:
flipmode007 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:08 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I moved your post to Off-Topic because I don't think you have a problem with the mechanics of your G. I suspect you have a tire issue and that's not a coupe or sedan issue. I suppose I could have moved your post to Tech/Wheels & Tires...

Please use the thread in the Off-Topic forum. If mechanical issues become apparent, I'll move your thread to a more appropriate forum.

Thanks..