Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Can anyone recommend a site to buy a cat converter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Jones
So the same shop wants to charge me $50 to see if there's a leak, and another $160 to install new gaskets
That seems right. A $50 minimum charge for lift-time to look around, and a two-hour estimate to replace gaskets... which could mean removing the cats if we're talking about the gaskets between the headers and the cats.

However, since they did the install, checking for leaks should be on them. They might simply not want to work on your car anymore. That happens.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:34 AM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
If you plan on replacing the sensor (I would hold off on this) than get the oem part # and check ebay. Call your infiniti parts department and get the part #.

they can be had for $120 or so on amazon and ebay.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Jones (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Never thrown a code w/ my Resonated test pipes, they have the same counter flow 02 port as the Fast Intentions RTPs and HFCs, I think this is the only design that won't throw a code.

I guess maybe it's just me, I had FI Resonated, Z1, and Berks and all of them threw lights with in 10K miles. The latest version of the Z1 Had J extensions but still got a CEL? but that my be because they are only 100 CEL .

John you don't count man-- how man miles you drive in three years 5k LOL , JK man!!

And remember most tuners will automatically turn these off. Not saying the guys that state "never" have tunes, just putting that out there.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:01 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I guess maybe it's just me, I had FI Resonated, Z1, and Berks and all of them threw lights with in 10K miles. The latest version of the Z1 Had J extensions but still got a CEL? but that my be because they are only 100 CEL .

John you don't count man-- how man miles you drive in three years 5k LOL , JK man!!

And remember most tuners will automatically turn these off. Not saying the guys that state "never" have tunes, just putting that out there.
My 200 cell Z1 HFC have not thrown a CEL within the recent new year. It threw one on and off for about 4 month period but suddenly stopped out of nowhere. Not sure why or how, but it did. Hasn't come on since.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 PM
370gt_alej

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000? Woaah that’s too much

I was wondering if any of you could help me find a website to buy them? The shop said I needed both sides. It's a 2012 g37xs sedan.

I don't need fancy ones, I'm not an enthusiast, there's 92k miles on the car, the cheaper the better.

Some local shops wants to charge me around 2 grand for the pair and install, which I cannot afford.

I appreciate it guys.

edit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263803447023 $260 for a new pair on ebay? Will that work?
my install costed 250, and I found a place after the job that could have done the install cheaper. In that case I would have gotten some FI RHFC. But oh well
Old 11-17-2018, 07:28 PM
DevilMC0721

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here what occured....

CEL just came on tonight Assuming I get the same code when I take it to the parts store tomorrow, what do you guys recommend I should do?

-possibly get new o2 sensors?
-have them clear the code, then if it comes back just ignore it?

-will the care still be safe to drive / will I be causing any harm to it? Assuming it's the same code.
My lite came.on months ago. Now.im having to check cat converter. Evap. And O2 sensor. Originally it was my mesh pipe which caused a leak located under my passenger and driver seat exhaust system. Drove 2000 miles with air flowing through the mesh leak. Now im back yracking locating my problem...... Dont gey it this far. I was 80 mph on the free way when my g37 lost power and redlines. No power to drive train. Clutch and tranmission checked and all passed..... Now I'm diagnosing at the shot....
Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 AM
Mr.Jones

Drove the car around for 20 mins today, noticed I had noticeable white-ish smoke coming from the back so I stopped at a gas station to investigate. As soon as I stopped the CEL came back on. I took a small video of the exaust and put it on youtube for you guys if anyone has any opinions. Bear in mind, it is 25 degrees outside right now, but It was noticeable when I started it in the 45 degree or so garage.

also noticed a small drip coming from exaust

I think the best option is to take it back to the shop who did the work on the cat, tomorrow. Or should I wait and order some thicker z1 gaskets first?

Other thoughts? Thanks guys
Old 11-19-2018, 01:28 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

That's normal.... you said it's 25 degrees outside. The exhaust gases coming out your tail pipe is hot.

what happens when you exhale out of your mouth on a cold day? Same thing...
Old 11-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Every exhaust will drip water under the right conditions. It's just water. If it were gasoline, that's a problem, but it's just water and water vapor. You're being hyper-sensitive to seeing ghosts where there are none.

And now you've got a CEL because of your new high-flow cats, which you should have suspected but still seem surprised about anyway. Odds are your car is running fine, and this won't be an issue until you need to get inspected. You've got between now and then to figure this out. Go with the obvious, and get sensor extensions on those cats. Have the shop look for leaks while that's happening.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Mr.Jones

Originally Posted by Rochester
Every exhaust will drip water under the right conditions. It's just water. If it were gasoline, that's a problem, but it's just water and water vapor. You're being hyper-sensitive to seeing ghosts where there are none.

And now you've got a CEL because of your new high-flow cats, which you should have suspected but still seem surprised about anyway. Odds are your car is running fine, and this won't be an issue until you need to get inspected. You've got between now and then to figure this out. Go with the obvious, and get sensor extensions on those cats. Have the shop look for leaks while that's happening.
Yea I'm probably being paranoid. Car is back in the shop. If there's no leak, do I want the defouler extensions just on the downstream 02 sesnsor, or both?

The code p2a00 is saying upstream sensor.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Defoulers are for down stream o2 sensors only. Car will run like **** if you put it on the upstreams.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:55 PM
kiingraj

i seen you’re original thread on the catalytic converters p0420 codes. my car is not wanting to move from a deadstop, and if i get up to 40+ the car will just rev up and not really go any faster ? is this the issues you were having ? i’m super stressed about this and it would relieve me so much to know i just gotta replace the cat