Sponsored by:

G37S sedan / winter driving - hills

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:51 PM
jusseth

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question G37S sedan / winter driving - hills

Hello guys,

Haven't been on here for a while, nice to see people are still active.

During my "hiatus", we ended up moving from Houston to Jersey and now that we are here, I'm a little bit worried about the G and winter driving.

I know I've seen several threads on this matter and from reading on those, I should be ok as long as I get proper winter tires for the ride. Thing is, it's very hilly around where we are at and I'm worried about sliding somewhere when that snow starts to hit out here.

You guys think I should worry at all or should I blow the trigger on trading her in for something AWD? (don't really want FWD)

it's a '13 G37S sedan, Auto 7sp with 63k (love the thing)

thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:24 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Dont trade your G, especially if you love it! Jersey isn't too bad for snow. The dangers of icy hills are stopping distance and corner grip. Both are primarily dependent on tire compund AND driving style. Give yourself double the room for stopping. Even with good tires!

If you've never lived in blizzard country, get a good set and practice in an empty lot on the first snow. You do have to be diligent about controlling that lead foot, but a RWD with proper throttle control and a good winter shoe will outdrive an AWD CUV on all-seasons every single day. As a teen, I learned to drive in winters with a 2001 335ic BMW. It would have been a proper weapon if I didn't have snow tires and plenty of parking lot snowcrosses with my dad.

TLDR; Get cheap OEM rims (there may be a $77 rims link on this site still), and the best winter rubber you can get. AND give yourself double the stopping distance.
The following users liked this post:
jusseth (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:34 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I find driving with winter tires on a S sedan to be acceptable. Stopping has not been an issue (chicago is relatively flat after all). Where I do find issue is turns. The tires I use (michelin xice 2) just don't grip well when making turns in snow/slush. The car understeers severely. Also, while possible to take off without wheel spin, too much throttle results in wheel spin. Too much doesn't even mean a lot, just enough to exceed available traction.

Both of these issues are mitigated by maintaining safe speed, keeping good following distance and exercising common sense
The following users liked this post:
jusseth (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Spgoode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you have an S sedan, you have a limited-slip differential. I've had two G sport sedans and have found that they have better grip in the snow than the front wheel drive cars I've had.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:22 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
You have the Akebonos? If so, the 17's won't fit over the brakes. I agree with picking up another set of rims and running Winter dedicated tires. The thinner the better.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:38 PM
jusseth

Originally Posted by Spgoode
Since you have an S sedan, you have a limited-slip differential. I've had two G sport sedans and have found that they have better grip in the snow than the front wheel drive cars I've had.
really??? gtk
Old 08-21-2018, 03:40 PM
jusseth

Originally Posted by RMB5190
You have the Akebonos? If so, the 17's won't fit over the brakes. I agree with picking up another set of rims and running Winter dedicated tires. The thinner the better.
Yes I do, pain in the neck finding other 18's to fit. Thinking about using stock Enkie wheels it has with winter tires and then getting another nice set for summer.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:35 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
^ good idea. many have done the same.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by jusseth
Yes I do, pain in the neck finding other 18's to fit. Thinking about using stock Enkie wheels it has with winter tires and then getting another nice set for summer.
old 350z 18's are great winter wheels and fit over the akebonos...they are dirt cheap and abundant...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by jusseth
That's always been my MO. Summer wheels and high-performance, summer-only tires, winter wheels and snow tires. If you add up $100+ tire swaps twice a year, after 5 years you blew a grand on tire swaps. If you ever think you might like a nice set of aftermarket wheels, your summer vs. winter needs helps make that decision.

Here's a tip: avoid High Performance snow tires, and get studless Ice & Snow tires, like Micheline X-Ice. Any snow tire marketed as "high performance" will be lacking in dry/wet pavement performance, and lacking in ice & snow situations. It's not the best of both worlds.

Personally, I think NJ winters are relatively warm, and less challenging than just a few hundred miles north.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-22-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:03 PM
jusseth

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's always been my MO. Summer wheels and high-performance, summer-only tires, winter wheels and snow tires. If you add up $100+ tire swaps twice a year, after 5 years you blew a grand on tire swaps. If you ever think you might like a nice set of aftermarket wheels, your summer vs. winter needs helps make that decision.

Here's a tip: avoid High Performance snow tires, and get studless Ice & Snow tires, like Micheline X-Ice. Any snow tire marketed as "high performance" will be lacking in dry/wet pavement performance, and lacking in ice & snow situations. It's not the best of both worlds.

Personally, I think NJ winters are relatively warm, and less challenging than just a few hundred miles north.
Thanks!!!!! and yes, it makes $$ sense to get other wheels in the long run.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

@Rochester Which winter tires are you using? If michelin xice, are you having similar results as I am in post #3 (225/50/18 all 4 corners)?
Old 08-22-2018, 02:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
@Rochester Which winter tires are you using? If michelin xice, are you having similar results as I am in post #3 (225/50/18 all 4 corners)?
Can't really say yet, Jsolo.

For a number of years I was using Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60, and they sucked. Two years ago I replaced the rears with Michelin X-Ice, and ran both together. Much better forward traction. This winter, I'll be ditching the Blizzaks in the front and replacing them with X-Ice.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:42 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Maybe I just have higher expectation of winter tires. I don't remember having such issues when I had blizzaks (ws15? or 40... This is around 2001) on the camaro. They bit much better into snow.

Next time around will probably go with general winter tire of some sort. Problem is I drive the car so little and even less in the winter. Current tires have less than 4K miles on them over 7 winters. At this point age might be contributing to diminished performance too. Will probably go another 3 winters then replace them.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Starter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2011 S and the original equipment UHP summer Bridgestones were garbage if you even said the word snow. I replaced them UHP all seasons, first Hankooks and now Yokohamas, and they were fine for use here in the Baltimore/Washington area.

Quick Reply: G37S sedan / winter driving - hills