Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Rear subframe bushing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:58 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Rear subframe bushing

I got my oil changed today at an Infiniti dealership today. After the service was done they gave me my report of the free inspection and this is what I got back.

Transmission mount is collapsing, has excessive movement - $459+tax
Upper radiator hose seeping - $219+tax
Rear subframe bushing torn at bottom. Dampening fluid leaked out bushing comes assembled into subframe - $2680+tax

Anyone else have these issues? Radiator hose is a simple fix, but the other two sounds kinda complicated. Thanks for any input.

My car is a 2013 G37S 6MT with 50152 miles on it. I have KW V3 coilovers along with Hotchiks sway bars with SPL front and rear endlinks.
The following users liked this post:
Oakenfire (05-11-2020)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:22 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
The transmission mount is easy.

Whiteline makes a replacement bushing, but install is kinda complicated. I paid I think $500 for the bushing + install at a local shop. I wouldn't have Infiniti replace the subframe assembly, it's a weak link and will break again.
wowwed (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The transmission mount is a 1/2 hour install for a mechanic, and that includes lift time. At worst, you'll get a minimum one hour charge. So buy the part yourself and have a local shop do the work. An aftermarket transmission mount (like Z1 Motorsports) runs $200, however it's not for everyone. Lots of NVH.

The upper radiator hose can't be more than $25, and is completely accessible as a DIY project for anyone. That price they quoted you was probably inclusive of a coolant flush.

The main rear bushing is a known point of failure. Unfortunately, Nissan only sells this as an installed component to the entire subframe, hence the many thousands of dollars. Still... that's nuts. An aftermarket kit (like Whiteline) will cost you $100, and expect another 4 hours labor at a good shop. Even if they charge you an entire day for the job, it's still a massive savings over the quote you got.
wowwed (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

I was planning on doing the Z1 transmission mount but not sure if I would like the NVT, but then again I have other things that's already making some NVT so what would a little more do right?

Where exactly is this rear subframe bushing located?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:11 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

rear bushing
Is this the part you're talking about Rochester? Which kind coolant would you recommend I put in after I change out the hoses? I'm planning to just do a coolant flush since I'm replacing the hoses. I'm replacing the hoses with the Z1 silicone as the OEM go bad. There seems to be a lot different ones and certain color matters.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:02 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
wat happens if a person doesnt do the sub frame bushing replacement? i believe mine popped a while a go before i bought the car. there is no noise from movement or anything. for me ima just leave it doesnt seem to have any neg effect. id recommend same for op unless theres something going on back there
wowwed (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
wat happens if a person doesnt do the sub frame bushing replacement? i believe mine popped a while a go before i bought the car. there is no noise from movement or anything. for me ima just leave it doesnt seem to have any neg effect. id recommend same for op unless theres something going on back there
I drove around on mine for at least a year. Aside from an occasional clunk on the 1-2 shift and a somewhat looser drivetrain, it wasn't really that noticeable.
wowwed (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

I hope nothing bad will happen if I don't replace it. I plan on keeping this car until it completely dies. I ideally would like to keep it running as good as possible. I'm still trying to figure which part that actually needs to be replaced. I'll probably jack up my car next week and take a peek around to look for it.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by wowwed
rear bushing
Is this the part you're talking about Rochester? Which kind coolant would you recommend I put in after I change out the hoses? I'm planning to just do a coolant flush since I'm replacing the hoses. I'm replacing the hoses with the Z1 silicone as the OEM go bad. There seems to be a lot different ones and certain color matters.
That's the kit. IDK what to advise you about coolant fluid.
wowwed (09-18-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Mbsk01
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Zerex Asian vehicle formula is what went in my wife's FX35 when I replaced her radiator. It seems to be well enough regarded.
wowwed (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:08 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

I looked inside the overflow part and its blue liquid instead of green. Not sure what the big difference is.