G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 05:44 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Search the thread for Jaguar XE... it's been discussed often.

The XE is one of those cars that takes a fantastic picture, and checks all the right boxes by reviewers. And yet for me, personally, it's an underwhelming experience in person. So much so that I didn't even bother test-driving.
I've popped in and out of this thread and never happened upon one of those discussions I guess. I'll admit to seeing it at an auto show and not liking it quite as much in person as in the pictures, but I think it will still be worth a drive for me since it ticks so many boxes.

Of course it's not the Jag I really want. I happened upon a silver F-Type parked streetside a few weeks ago and went a bit weak in the knees. I've been utterly infatuated with it since it launched. Not going to get into my price range, I'm afraid.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
If some of you guys are just waiting for M3's and ATS-V's to drop in to your price range, it probably won't be long. I too would prefer $40k instead of $50k. It looks like the ATS-V is depreciating faster, but there are fewer of them out there than the M3. I think it came out in '16 so maybe a number of 3 year leases will start hitting the used market soon.

A kid stopped by today to trade in a beautiful red '14 GT-R w/ 39k miles. I was tempted, but he took it to a couple of track days and the front tire edges tell me he hit the brakes way too late as it at least needed new front tires and rotors. A car with that kind of wear worries me a bit. Great car though!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:21 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If some of you guys are just waiting for M3's and ATS-V's to drop in to your price range, it probably won't be long. I too would prefer $40k instead of $50k. It looks like the ATS-V is depreciating faster, but there are fewer of them out there than the M3. I think it came out in '16 so maybe a number of 3 year leases will start hitting the used market soon.

The only thing is, you then have a 3 year old car. And that projects out to a 8 year old car when you have it paid off, with X many miles, assuming you finance for 5 years. Any extended warranty is probably over, and I'm right into another car payment, instead of enjoying a couple years of no payments.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The only thing is, you then have a 3 year old car. And that projects out to a 8 year old car when you have it paid off, with X many miles, assuming you finance for 5 years. Any extended warranty is probably over, and I'm right into another car payment, instead of enjoying a couple years of no payments.
Oh you're financing. Ok, no problem. Get the ATS-V and buy a good extended warranty (it has to be a lot cheaper than the M3) or just keep the car longer.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Trialmountain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just sold my 2010 G37 6MT and will be going to an F10 LCI 535i.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Saw my first Tesla Model3 in the wild yesterday, right here in little Rochester, NY. In fact, not even a mile from my humble neighborhood. We were side by side for a while, and stopped at a few lights.

Design-wise, the visuals on this car are extremely appealing, particularly in red. I know that reviewers are split about many things, but all I can comment on right now is my impression of how it looks in traffic from an outside perspective. And it looks pretty nice.

I don't want one, just saying... saw it yesterday, and liked the looks.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Saw my first Tesla Model3 in the wild yesterday, right here in little Rochester, NY. In fact, not even a mile from my humble neighborhood. We were side by side for a while, and stopped at a few lights.

Design-wise, the visuals on this car are extremely appealing, particularly in red. I know that reviewers are split about many things, but all I can comment on right now is my impression of how it looks in traffic from an outside perspective. And it looks pretty nice.

I don't want one, just saying... saw it yesterday, and liked the looks.
Interesting, I have seen a few on the road over here and especially in red and white its is quite striking from most angles...but from some angles it seems to have kind of bulbus proportions in the greenhouse area...like they shrunk the design of the Model S overall but then had to make the roofline higher to still fit people in making it look a little weird
Old 07-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hashim
Interesting, I have seen a few on the road over here and especially in red and white its is quite striking from most angles...but from some angles it seems to have kind of bulbus proportions in the greenhouse area...like they shrunk the design of the Model S overall but then had to make the roofline higher to still fit people in making it look a little weird
Not surprised you're seeing them in Toronto. I expect them to be more rare this side of the lake. Much smaller town here.

Yes, bulbous. I would agree with that. It does seem a little bulbous.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
I don't think ANY Tesla looks good except the Semi and Roadster. They all are pulling the Jetson bubble. Every time I see one I scream a cacophony of sounds...yep there's a 100k ugly car that can't drive long distance. Congrats. Colors are uninspiring. Performance is undeniable. Dash sucks (sorry not sorry). Wheel selection is bleh. Sound is ok for stereo. I guess I could see this as a viable purchase if I never ever traveled more than a few hundred miles round trip. But down here in the redneck south YEEEE HAWWWWW there's only something like 10 superchargers in the entire state of NC. All on I-40 and I-95. If I want to take a drive through the mountains or I need to drive to BFE NC...I'm screwed with that car.

I just don't get it. The $35k could be appealing with some modifications...like manually adjusting vents, emergency handle releases in the rear seats, and a less bulbous proportion. But given that only the $70k models are being made, I'll pass.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
I don't think ANY Tesla looks good except the Semi and Roadster. They all are pulling the Jetson bubble. Every time I see one I scream a cacophony of sounds...yep there's a 100k ugly car that can't drive long distance. Congrats. Colors are uninspiring. Performance is undeniable. Dash sucks (sorry not sorry). Wheel selection is bleh. Sound is ok for stereo. I guess I could see this as a viable purchase if I never ever traveled more than a few hundred miles round trip. But down here in the redneck south YEEEE HAWWWWW there's only something like 10 superchargers in the entire state of NC. All on I-40 and I-95. If I want to take a drive through the mountains or I need to drive to BFE NC...I'm screwed with that car.

I just don't get it. The $35k could be appealing with some modifications...like manually adjusting vents, emergency handle releases in the rear seats, and a less bulbous proportion. But given that only the $70k models are being made, I'll pass.
I see tons of them in Charlotte. There is a gallery a mile from my work. It's someplace I've never considered killing time in over lunch

I think the majority are owned by bankers commuting uptown from the 'burbs so the range isn't an issue.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
lol, exactly, just like a Jetson's Bubble...or even
Old 07-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think the majority are owned by bankers commuting uptown from the 'burbs so the range isn't an issue.
Maybe. The one I saw had two 30 something women in the front, two kids and an infant carrier in the back. I'll leave any inference to anyone who sees one.

While certainly sporty, it is not a sports sedan, IMO. Respectable design and impressive acceleration notwithstanding.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The Teslas seem to have cleaner lines and tighter panel gaps than most cars. I think this makes them look a bit futuristic. They all have a very simple design as well, which probably helps with the clean look.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:05 PM
En Laret Mo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lexus CT200h

I'm seriously considering a used Lexus CT200h hybrid hatchback. I test drove one the other day and although not in the same class as a G37 it seemed like a more practical car.I really nice interior and outside looks overall good as well. Still had enough get up and go for my tastes and obviously MUCH better on fuel as it's based on the Prius. I know some will laugh but for me all the horse power in the G is mostly wasted as I have a short commute and never really have the time to drive it in a spirited fashion.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Today's review of the Genesis G70 on AutoBlog is pretty interesting. The photos are excellent, and that interior pops with the diamond-stitching in red threads on the black leather.

Wow.

http://www.autoblog.com/2018/07/16/g...-drive-982307/

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?