G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:16 PM
obsidiansamurai
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Congrats, love these cars. Interior looks great.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 04:33 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Unfortunately not. I don't like the wheels, especially compared to last years wheels.

And the Continental summer tires (not the same model as yours) are garbage compared to the PSS.
+1 on the wheels, just didn’t want it to be the first thing I mentioned about your new car lol. Thankfully, it’s a simple cosmetic correction if the rest of the car is on point. And it seems to be in pics.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
I liked those wheels until I saw that picture of the older ones. Those look waaayy better
Old 08-18-2018, 06:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm

+1 on the wheels, just didn’t want it to be the first thing I mentioned about your new car lol. Thankfully, it’s a simple cosmetic correction if the rest of the car is on point. And it seems to be in pics.
Same. Wheels can be replaced. The important thing is one of us here moved into their next car and got exactly what they wanted.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:29 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

I took a closer look at the Golf R now and it really seems to have everything I want. Good tech, decent power, adaptive cruise, etc... I'm just not really a hatch or a VW fan. Maybe I should go drive one.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm

No worries, the wheels are my least favorite part of the car. But it's also an easy fix.

Originally Posted by iCrap
I took a closer look at the Golf R now and it really seems to have everything I want. Good tech, decent power, adaptive cruise, etc... I'm just not really a hatch or a VW fan. Maybe I should go drive one.
If you're not a hatch fan, and don't want 6MT, then check out the Audi S3, as it's 'basically' the same car. And while I'm a die hard 6MT guy, i recognize the 6/7 speed DSG is the better trans. You're a downpipe and tune away from the 12s.

After 75 miles, my overriding impression is how much lighter this car feels, and it should, because it weighs about 350 pounds less. Seats are killer, Fender radio is fantastic, functional cup holders are awesome, Apple Car Play is much appreciated, the DCC works as advertised, and I like the blind spot monitoring. Shifter sucks, and the OE tires are garbage. Both of those are fixable. Anyone want to guess how long I make it before I tune this thing??
Old 08-18-2018, 08:23 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Eh, the S3 is really tiny isn't it? plus it seems like it costs way more for the same thing + an Audi badge. I just looked and found two blue Golf Rs locally for only like 35k, brand new.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Eh, the S3 is really tiny isn't it? plus it seems like it costs way more for the same thing + an Audi badge. I just looked and found two blue Golf Rs locally for only like 35k, brand new.
The S3 is about the same size, although less ultimate trunk space, because hatch FTW. I'd say front space room is about the same as the G, but there is more rear space in the Golf. Rear map pockets/bottle holders and the HVAC vents make it a little more livable.

There is an excess inventory of Golf Rs right now, with a disproportionate share being 6MT. Pricing is pretty aggressive because the 2019 is getting the optional color palate, 5 no cost colors, 40 optional colors. I got mine for a shade over 36k, and VWs 6/72 bumper-to-bumper warranty is pretty much the industries best.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:42 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by qpham45
Yeah they are affordable now. I bought my E a few couple years back. Its a great roomy and comfortable car. Its no means a fast car but it can pick up speed pretty quick. A stock G or Q50 3.7 or even 3.0t can't pass it up on the freeway if you want something to compare. From a stand still it can be slower or about the same when in sport mode but that will depend on the driver as well.
I'm pretty sure a stock 3.0TT q50/q60 can put a gap on a e350 on the highway. I have a g37 with only HFC + exhaust and out ran a 2014+ e350. Im sure a stock 3.0tt can beat me.

what all does the amg package have? I don't think the one I ran was a amg package. It was at night
Old 08-20-2018, 02:18 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
ugh, that golf R you have is exactly the one i want (minus maybe the wheels). I stare at the R's when I see them drive by, but I am interested in the review of how it rides. Im a little hesitant with the problems I heard it has after a certain amount of miles.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
IDK so much about being a worthy replacement for the G, but the new VW Arteon sure is appealing, in replacement of the outgoing CC, which was a fine car, too.

I see VW also has directional spoke wheels on the Arteon. (sigh)

Old 08-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
ugh, that golf R you have is exactly the one i want (minus maybe the wheels). I stare at the R's when I see them drive by, but I am interested in the review of how it rides. Im a little hesitant with the problems I heard it has after a certain amount of miles.
I really couldn't find many long term issues with the R. I know the early 15s had issues with the turbo, and like any DI car, there is potential for carbon buildup, and some guys report DSG issues.

I need to figure out a way to fund wheels. I still have a set of new PSS I never mounted on my G. Maybe that, plus flipping the OEM wheels will get me close to something less hideous that the OEM 'Englishtown' wheels

Originally Posted by Rochester
IDK so much about being a worthy replacement for the G, but the new VW Arteon sure is appealing, in replacement of the outgoing CC, which was a fine car, too.

I wasn't aware of that car. No 6MT, but it would be a good replacement for my wife's Accord when the time comes.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

much less dramatic on the sedan... May be due to the colour tho
Old 08-20-2018, 03:45 PM
NW_6MT
Registered Member

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Hadn't rechecked this thread in a while. Sorry for the little derail. Apologies for my grammatical formatting... I was a microbiology major
Everyone has their reason and no one, myself included, will fault you for wanting to take care of your kids. Thanks for the additional insight.

On track: I really like the golf R. (Love sporty wagons/hatches in general). Anyone remember the RS6 avant...? Lusted after that car in high school. Not embarrassed to admit that I really wanted a V70R at the time too.

I wish they still made an STI wagon or even offered the STI forester stateside.

Friendly advice: If you do upgrade the golf, don't straight pipe it. True story, I was getting some new flowmasters on my fox body at a local shop and there was a kid with a slammed golf R with some kind of DIY straight pipe kit. It was obnoxiously loud! I talked to him while waiting and he was actually there to see if they could add a resonator or something because he couldn't handle the noise.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Tuckermaclain
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is my replacement. Almost 3 years old now. Mods were a full tune with methanol injection and larger heat exchangers for 593 WHP. New rubber is Nitto R555R's in 305/30-18 in the rear, and the newest Michelins in factory size on the front. Put tactilestranducers in both front seats with a 750W mono sub amp to shake bass without being loud. It is just a pleasure to drive. You can pick up a used one pretty cheap and it will give you tons of fun. Fun to toy with stock Mustangs and Camaros. These rear wheels are good in the rain, but for laying down all the power I use Toyo R888Rs in 305/30/19. Not as good in the rain though. Too bad its not AWD. It is totally a hoot to drive. A few friends still have the G and they have loved this when they drove it.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?