G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:58 PM
emerilnut
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
You know what, I rescind my appreciation for the Jag XE. Because it was on my mind, I swung by the Jag dealership this afternoon and took a look. Didn't drive the car, because I wasn't even remotely interested to go that far. The overall in-person impression was much less than impressive. It looked kind of cheap, actually. Even with a $50K+ sticker on the window.(sigh)
That's interesting. I'd have to go look for myself... because you got me thinking about it.

Oh well, this is all a moot point since I'm going to be keeping my G another four years at least. But the next time I'm in the market, it will be for a 4-5 year old car, and those cars are coming out right now. And today, I'm sad to say, I'm not seeing anything and going "I want to have that car one day."
Old 07-21-2017, 05:06 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by emerilnut
That's interesting. I'd have to go look for myself... because you got me thinking about it.

Oh well, this is all a moot point since I'm going to be keeping my G another four years at least. But the next time I'm in the market, it will be for a 4-5 year old car, and those cars are coming out right now. And today, I'm sad to say, I'm not seeing anything and going "I want to have that car one day."
Same. Its funny that I have a 10 year old car and no desire to upgrade. There's just nothing that great on the market right now.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (01-30-2022)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by mdigiorgio35
@4drz, wow man that a great idea. I didn't think of that, besides the performance on the R the other thing that led me to it was it has AWD, where (unfortunately) the GTI doesn't. Living in Boston its almost a must haha, but who knows, maybe I'll be elsewhere in a few years.
Trust me, you will be fine with FWD in Boston. I live in WI where we get tons of snow. You can also get a GTI w/ a limited slip diff so technically you have just as many wheels spinning as you would in a Golf R with its open diffs. If that does not work for you, just get snow tires. Then you will have much more grip than a Golf R in the snow and have thousands of dollars left over for mods. I do just fine in a foot of snow in my RWD G37 with snow tires and you would be even better with FWD.

Just get the Golf R if you like all the extra equipment and want to have more sideways fun in the snow with AWD.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:45 AM
Ihtbealexxx

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts
My G sedan is actually my first car and after building it for 2 years, I couldn't be more happy with it. When I do decide to upgrade, I'll be going for something a bit more refined from the factory and more luxurious. I fell in love with the F80 M3 when it first came out. Have another year of college left, so hopefully by the time I graduate I'll have enough saved up that I can buy a somewhat low milage one at a decent price.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Oh to be young again^^^^^

As far as the Jag F coupe, seen a few, and one type R, really are gorgeous cars, and WIDE!

A neighbor just bought a black on black Jaguar F-Pace SUV, damn that's a bad a$$ AWD, best looking SUV that I've seen. Those Brits are doing things right these days, not sure about long term reliability, but by the time Rochester's ready for his he should have a clear picture on that.

S2Ks have always been on my wish list, could be a good extra vehicle for fun weekend road trips.

And another vehicle that Rochester has mentioned, and no one else has in this thread, the Porsche Cayman S. I know it's not a family hauler, but when you get my age, they can get their own ride
The following users liked this post:
MrHarrisMath (06-25-2020)
Old 07-23-2017, 11:19 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
^ I have an S2K now and I love it but it could never be a replacement. It only works as a secondary car. Mainly because there is just no space in it. I have a hard time even using it to go the post office to drop off some packages.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
^ I have an S2K now and I love it but it could never be a replacement. It only works as a secondary car. Mainly because there is just no space in it. I have a hard time even using it to go the post office to drop off some packages.
Yeah, that's why I said an "extra" car for weekend road trips, Honda really nailed that one!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:56 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Easily going to be a Iconic car a few years down the road. Would love to see another one enter the market but with the Type R I doubt it happens.

Anybody else think cars in general though are just getting too damn fast? I mean, I feel like the avg. speed of the cars mentioned puts them around sub 4s 0-60 and 12.0 in the quarter?

I remember when breaking 5 second 60 times was super car material....now it's the standard.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:04 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Oh to be young again^^^^^

As far as the Jag F coupe, seen a few, and one type R, really are gorgeous cars, and WIDE!

A neighbor just bought a black on black Jaguar F-Pace SUV, damn that's a bad a$$ AWD, best looking SUV that I've seen. Those Brits are doing things right these days, not sure about long term reliability, but by the time Rochester's ready for his he should have a clear picture on that.

S2Ks have always been on my wish list, could be a good extra vehicle for fun weekend road trips.

And another vehicle that Rochester has mentioned, and no one else has in this thread, the Porsche Cayman S. I know it's not a family hauler, but when you get my age, they can get their own ride
i test drove a cayenne, they're filthy and the interior is unlike anything i've seen before.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:06 PM
mdigiorgio35
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Trust me, you will be fine with FWD in Boston. I live in WI where we get tons of snow. You can also get a GTI w/ a limited slip diff so technically you have just as many wheels spinning as you would in a Golf R with its open diffs. If that does not work for you, just get snow tires. Then you will have much more grip than a Golf R in the snow and have thousands of dollars left over for mods. I do just fine in a foot of snow in my RWD G37 with snow tires and you would be even better with FWD.

Just get the Golf R if you like all the extra equipment and want to have more sideways fun in the snow with AWD.
hm never thought of that either...definitely something to remember. I appreciate it, I could be making a move in the near future where AWD may not be a thing to think about
Old 07-23-2017, 04:10 PM
wlmmn
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on what type of car I'll really, truly want to have when it's time to replace it. My '13 G37x is doing great at 44K, but I've already starting putting away a bit of money each month to buy a really nice replacement car in 10 years, as my G37's already paid off.

My last car was a BMW, and it was great but high maintenance, and it's nice that my G37 is much lower maintenance, so I don't know if I'll want to go back to a fun, exciting driver's car that's also an expensive headache.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Anybody else think cars in general though are just getting too damn fast? I mean, I feel like the avg. speed of the cars mentioned puts them around sub 4s 0-60 and 12.0 in the quarter?

I remember when breaking 5 second 60 times was super car material....now it's the standard.
At least with the increase in speed came marvelous advancements in dynamic stability control. That said, It does sorta boggle my mind that you can operate a honda civic and a GTR on the same class of drivers licence. Then again, i also think our licensing standards should be more like some of Scandinavian countries. You know, a real skills test rather than just driving around the block and parallel parking in a spot twice the size of your car

Last edited by Victory; 07-24-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190

Agreed. It is a great time to be a gear head. We now have a lot of suvs that will absolutely annihilate the super cars that were around when I was a kid.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:21 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Victory
At least with the increase in speed came marvelous advancements in dynamic stability control. That said, It does sorta boggle my mind that you can operate a honda civic and a GTR on the same class of drivers licence. Then again, i also think our licensing standards should be more like some of Scandinavian countries. You know, a real skills test rather than just driving around the block and parallel parking in a spot twice the size of your car
Could not agree more. I say this at least once a week after navigating traffic on my way home. A simple test required at 16 should not be good for a lifetime. At least some type of re-test or evaluation should take place every 5 years or so.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:37 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Agreed. It is a great time to be a gear head. We now have a lot of suvs that will absolutely annihilate the super cars that were around when I was a kid.
Seriously, the scene isn't dominated anymore by 3-5 companies and the fact you can now modify anything to suite your desires makes most categories a wash. That said, you're really paying for name brand anymore with anything since most cars on, if not on, close to premium brand quality.

Hard to justify spending $40-50k on a brand new BMW or Lexus when you can get similar comfort and styling in a Mazda or performance in a Ford for substantially less. Or, you have the option of waiting a few years and getting it used considering cars don't seem to hold their value like they did in the past. A yr. old Q50 RS with less than 10k miles can be had for <$40,000 and they're near $50k new? At that rate, it will be less than $30k in 3-4 years easily.

That said, Vic made a good point in that a regular driver's license puts you behind the wheel at that thing? That's crazy to think about. As someone who enjoys driving, it's fantastic but nuts lol.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?