G37 Sedan

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by milosz
And although I mostly drive my car like an old man (because I AM an old man!) it's nice to know that some guys do actually enjoy G37's on the track, especially with a few up-rated mods. There's a kind of prestige in driving a car that is considered THAT capable.
Glad us track rats can help. The G37S 6spd. sedan is definitely a nice sleeper with most of the parts of the 370Z underneath while maintaining the common styling of the regular G37 you see everywhere to fit in.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:07 PM
1 sick G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
call me crazy but seriously looking at the hellcat charger
Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 PM
Rhudson

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Me and my buddy debate what our next cars will be all the time and every time it comes down to...
Audi A7/S7
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Cadillac CTS-V
Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 PM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhudson
Me and my buddy debate what our next cars will be all the time and every time it comes down to...
Audi A7/S7
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Cadillac CTS-V

These are all good cars to drive - when new. Real questions remain regarding reliability, however. Consumer experience has shown that the Audi and the Cadillac are not as reliable as late model G37's.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...13/reliability
2013 Audi S7 Long-Term Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...14/reliability

Regarding the Alfa, Fiat-Chrysler products in general have near to the worst reliability in the industry. The Alfa is a pretty new model, so there isn't any long term experience with them, but reports indicate that so far the new Alfas have spent as much time at the dealer getting fixed as they have on the road

http://jalopnik.com/the-alfa-romeo-g...art-1776852795

Consumer Reports' 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Basically Lives at Dealer

Compare to the G37

Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Rhudson

These are all good cars to drive - when new. Real questions remain regarding reliability, however. Consumer experience has shown that the Audi and the Cadillac are not as reliable as late model G37's.

Regarding the Alfa, Fiat-Chrysler products in general have near to the worst reliability in the industry. The Alfa is a pretty new model, so there isn't any long term experience with them, but reports indicate that so far the new Alfas have spent as much time at the dealer getting fixed as they have on the road

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2<\/title><path d="M10,3.5l3-3,3,3Z" style="fill:%23fff;stroke:%23fff"/><path d="M0,3.5H10l3-3,3,3H26" style="fill:none;stroke:%231b3a4d"/><\/svg>')}.f_branding_on.blog-group-deadspin .editor-inner.post-content .pu

Consumer Reports' 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Basically Lives at Dealer

In all reality, each of those cars would be a pure lust purchase. I've driven each one and the driving experience is second to none. But I wouldn't purchase any of them except for the Giulia pending 3-5 years down the line when we see how it fairs. If it even stays in production until then. I'm a huge vintage car guy, I wouldn't be selling my G for anything, I'd probably keep it in addition to adding a few other project cars in the mix.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 PM
milosz
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
In all reality, each of those cars would be a pure lust purchase. I've driven each one and the driving experience is second to none. But I wouldn't purchase any of them except for the Giulia pending 3-5 years down the line when we see how it fairs. If it even stays in production until then. I'm a huge vintage car guy, I wouldn't be selling my G for anything, I'd probably keep it in addition to adding a few other project cars in the mix.
I always wanted to get my business to the point financially where we could lease a pool of fun cars, like one convertible- a Jaguar maybe, one nice fast sedan like maybe an Audi maybe, and maybe a muscle car like a Camaro or something. All brand-new, in-warranty, and only keep 'em a year or two. Car leases can work out well in a business, you can write off the cost as a business expense if you're clever.

Sadly, with my business, in order for an expense write-off to work, we'd have to be making some PROFITS first that we'd be taxed on.... if you LOSE MONEY there's no taxes to write off expenses against.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:57 PM
Rhudson

I always wanted to get my business to the point financially where we could lease a pool of fun cars, like one convertible- a Jaguar maybe, one nice fast sedan like maybe an Audi maybe, and maybe a muscle car like a Camaro or something. All brand-new, in-warranty, and only keep 'em a year or two. Car leases can work out well in a business, you can write off the cost as a business expense if you're clever.

Sadly, with my business, in order for an expense write-off to work, we'd have to be making some PROFITS first that we'd be taxed on.... if you LOSE MONEY there's no taxes to write off expenses against.
Haha yeah I sold cars for awhile, the only times I ever leased vehicles to customers were for business personnel. Most of them were high end real estate sellers, always wanted to have something classy to have a good first impression on their clients. Leasing is a fun way to shop above your budget as well if you can keep the mileage down below 10k.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:39 AM
ljjhw
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hellcat?
Old 08-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
I was looking back on this thread, and realized that I brought up the Chevy SS, but hadn't seen one yet. So a few weeks back was the G37 meetup, and Mike brought his SS 6MT. It's dropped and modified with long-tube headers, and you are keenly aware of that mod all the time. It's both awesome and exhausting. Constant, snarly, crackling exhaust. Really was a great moment driving that car around.

The looks of the car was unique and appealing, although there wasn't a significant sense of being "upscale", just clean and appealing. Unfortunately, that's mostly an up-close assessment, because if you step back and you see a big brother to the Malibu. You just do. And nothing wrong with that, if you like being stealthy. The interior is nice, but without being rewarding. The tech is great, but then I'm not too up on what tech is in vogue these days. Very roomy car, both in the front, the back and the trunk. It's really a unique car, while at the same time being somewhat boring, which is a conflicting thing to process.

It has serious two-ton heft, which you can feel from the seat, yet the car ate up road imperfections while keeping things flat and taut. That magnetic suspension is really nice. The shifter is longer and more rubbery than I'm used to, but insofar as factory shifters go, it wasn't awful. Shifting and clutch pedal action is pretty effortless, neither wimpy nor overly sporty.

And then there's the power. Yikes! It's a whole new level. Given my mods and my gears, I'm feeling like my G takes the 8th with a better launch, but loses the 1/4, if that makes any sense. Just spitballing, though, and I think the SS has launch control, so... who am I kidding, it's just a faster car. The SS is a freaking rocket.

It's certainly not a car I would replace my G with, but if something happened to my G... the SS would be a fine choice. Even with all the Holden conversion items, pretty cool car.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:46 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
SS is awesome but she's a big girl. I think the G is the biggest I can go. I definitely want something smaller next go round.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:58 PM
filipinoy

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I just traded in my G for a Macan and I don't regret it one bit!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Rhudson

Originally Posted by future62
SS is awesome but she's a big girl. I think the G is the biggest I can go. I definitely want something smaller next go round.
Agreed, I don't feel like I can go any bigger in the sedan segment.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:37 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by filipinoy
I just traded in my G for a Macan and I don't regret it one bit!
Tell us more
Old 08-28-2017, 12:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 sick G
call me crazy but seriously looking at the hellcat charger
Do they have a widebody version for the Charger too, or just the Challenger?

Audi A7/S7
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Cadillac CTS-V
Have you looked at the ATS-V? Twin turbos are always fun...

Haha yeah I sold cars for awhile, the only times I ever leased vehicles to customers were for business personnel. Most of them were high end real estate sellers, always wanted to have something classy to have a good first impression on their clients. Leasing is a fun way to shop above your budget as well if you can keep the mileage down below 10k.
A lot of people lease now as they want a new car more often and lower payment. We also have a lot of people lease who do high mileage because a lease is only 10 cents/mile on a Nissan lease and a car depreciates at about 50 cents/mile.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I was looking back on this thread, and realized that I brought up the Chevy SS, but hadn't seen one yet.

The looks of the car was unique and appealing, although there wasn't a significant sense of being "upscale", just clean and appealing. Unfortunately, that's mostly an up-close assessment, because if you step back and you see a big brother to the Malibu. You just do. And nothing wrong with that, if you like being stealthy. The interior is nice, but without being rewarding. The tech is great, but then I'm not too up on what tech is in vogue these days. Very roomy car, both in the front, the back and the trunk. It's really a unique car, while at the same time being somewhat boring, which is a conflicting thing to process.

It has serious two-ton heft, which you can feel from the seat, yet the car ate up road imperfections while keeping things flat and taut.
I have looked at that car a few times myself and thought the same things. Kind of plain looking inside and out and also large and heavy. A good sleeper, but too sleepy and plain for me.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 AM
Absinthe
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Compare to the G37

In all honestly, your not going to drive a 600+ HP CTS-V the same way you drive a G37S, there not even on the same planet. Since reliability testing does not take this into consideration, I tend to take reliability measures with a grain of salt. Hell, I got a quarter million miles out of a Mustang Cobra so FWIW, Ill take a bit in the reliability backside for the crazy a$$e'd grin I'd get every time I nail the go pedal in the CTS-V

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?