G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:32 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 451 Likes on 379 Posts
I'd been AFK for a few days and honestly, backed out of that conversation as not car-related. But if the questions are still there...

So my wife is the fiscal conservative (she is an engineering analyst for a major aerospace firm) and I'm the spender. What I meant was that she will look at a thing, right there in the store, that we need or seriously want, and say that we can't afford it - when I have the money for it in my pocket. She was convinced her family made under $40k a year until they paid cash for a custom built half-mil house. She's the one I have convince to spend money, even on stuff we need. I on the other hand don't think spending $6500 on a gun is out of the question (it's a very special gun, and one *I* would have to save for, not to mention waiting for another production run). I don't like to talk about my work online, but I'm a lawyer by trade and we lawyer each other over major expenses - anything more than $200 or so, not that that number is major but it was a convenient consensus amount. Right now I could **** away $200 and just get a raised eyebrow. Five years ago it would have meant a missed bill payment. Just as I have to talk to her about spending any $, she has to get my approval before buying or paying for a thing or service - I do the research on options and worth. My poor daughter is learning to argue by cross-examination and introduction and refutation of evidence. We have to warn her teachers every year and I pity the hell our of her first romantic partner.

My wife and I make about the same. She does our finances and I get a play budget - think 80s Japanese family. Technically she does too but she hasn't used it in years. Honestly, when she switched from Quicken to Quickbooks and started doing double-entry subaccount budgeting she lost me more or less - I could pick up and pay the bills if she couldn't, but what $ in our savings account is earmarked for what upcoming cost center I have no idea. We both cook (love/hate pretty much evenly) and clean (both hate) and I pay for 100% of the yardwork I don't want to do (_all_of_it_). She does a good bit more childcare than I do because she gets home 1.5 hours earlier. It works out.

So the relevant answer is, we *could* afford another $300 car payment + insurance if we really wanted to. But her budget is focused on paying off aforementioned living expense debt quickly, and I support that goal. She grew up not believing in frivolities and that has made me a better person - and I have made her unbend and enjoy life more. And as I mentioned, in a few years when all that debt is gone we will talk about me getting a Miata or something with a top that goes down. Maybe instead of spending money on a play car we'll travel more. Maybe we'll decide to start buying real estate to generate some passive income - I ain't getting any younger, and like most lawyers, my retirement plan is to die in the office chair.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:34 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Now to try to get back on topic, Carbuzz just announced another rumor about the Mazda "RX-9."
LALALALALA I can't hear you.

This is in the same category as HalfLife3 and Bigfoot. I'll believe in it when I see it.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:59 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by ngolbuff
I honestly would be interested to see a new thread open up about budgets/house plans/spouse (significant other) chore split.
It would be an interesting conversation I am sure and it could quite possibly give some of us bargaining chips in comparisons to other's situations. Or it could create lots of arguments with our significant others.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
She does our finances and I get a play budget - think 80s Japanese family.

So the relevant answer is, we *could* afford another $300 car payment + insurance if we really wanted to. But her budget is focused on paying off aforementioned living expense debt quickly, and I support that goal.
That's interesting. This confirms my hunch that the 3 people who had issue with spending a relatively small amount on anything extra have their wives in charge of the finances. Perhaps my situation was different when I got married. I had already paid off my house and my car and was already paying all of the bills. My retirement and various investments were already in order so it wasn't like I really took over any finances that I wasn't already doing. Probably just a different scenario. I totally understand you wanting to pay off any debts first. I am old school and really try not to finance anything to avoid any debts.

LALALALALA I can't hear you.

This is in the same category as HalfLife3 and Bigfoot. I'll believe in it when I see it.
Do you think we will live long enough to see it?

And now back to car news- I read an article today talking about the BMW M2 being the best used M car you could buy right now. They made the argument for it over the newer competition model because it was cheaper and rode better so they considered it a better daily driver. Has anyone driven an M2 Competition? This is one of the cars on my short list and I fear it may ride a bit rough as most high performance M cars usually do. Great car, but I still think the M3 has better proportioned styling.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
Relating to everyone's automotive values is easy, because of the G. And based on the finances of owning and modding the same-ish car, there are bound to be similarities in what brought us to that car, and where we're going next... the whole point of this thread.

Focus that "discussion" through the vague blender of car forum comments, and it can feel like we're all like-minded, even though the reality of different careers, different ages, families, regional and cultural differences, and a mix of regional & social values will make us all completely different people.

All I'm saying is, the only truly relatable sensibilities are the car. Everything else is coincidence.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:17 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

To make it car-relatable, I appreciate the person that has put tons of time and work into a fancy show car, even though I myself would never want a car with all that bling. Yes, I know that there are show car categories for performance modded rather than appearance modded, and yes you know the other cars I'm talking about.

Long ago my wife and I realized that we don't get most other (american) couple's dynamic, and that they don't get ours. It's OK.

Worthy replacement-related content - I'm seeing a lot on Jalop and other car news places about how in a few months the market is going to implode - car dealers even in the face of tanked demand and deadly virus are still requiring face-to-face negotiation tactics because they don't know any different. The inventory pipeline will overwhelm them in a few months so this fall you should be able to get an absolute steal on a new car. If that Miata hits incentives making it under 20... :hrm:
Old 04-19-2020, 11:05 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That's interesting. This confirms my hunch that the 3 people who had issue with spending a relatively small amount on anything extra have their wives in charge of the finances.
You should go re-read what I posted since I'm one of the 3 and don't have "issues with spending a relatively small amount on anything extra". You're coming across kind of silly with this hunch about who is in charge of finances hunch and it's implications.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:15 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

To make it car-relatable, I appreciate the person that has put tons of time and work into a fancy show car, even though I myself would never want a car with all that bling. Yes, I know that there are show car categories for performance modded rather than appearance modded, and yes you know the other cars I'm talking about.

Long ago my wife and I realized that we don't get most other (american) couple's dynamic, and that they don't get ours. It's OK.

Worthy replacement-related content - I'm seeing a lot on Jalop and other car news places about how in a few months the market is going to implode - car dealers even in the face of tanked demand and deadly virus are still requiring face-to-face negotiation tactics because they don't know any different. The inventory pipeline will overwhelm them in a few months so this fall you should be able to get an absolute steal on a new car. If that Miata hits incentives making it under 20... :hrm:
I agree with you on the car show part. I like a nice looking car, but I would prefer a bit of a sleeper with much better performance and handling than anyone in their right mind would suspect. That surprise is part of the fun.

The dealership I work at is definitely ahead of the game in that the entire transaction can be done online and we can deliver the car to you. Pretty revolutionary in the industry and most dealerships drag their feet kicking and screaming at any kind of change. I think soon these types of dealerships will realize they need to change with the times or sink.

I think new car sales will be a bit different. I believe all of the factories are shut down right now meaning that inventory will be quite low. Especially once people can go out again and buy things. Cabin fever usually leads to a big increase in sales. As does warmer weather, and especially when people have extra money to spend like their tax return and now federal stimulus checks on top of federal aid to unemployment payments. There are also a lot of people waiting to turn in their leased cars who will need new cars.

The drastic flip side to this is if people being cooped up for so long finally realize that they can live just fine without spending money all the time and their car is ok, then we will see what you are talking about. I think you will see a nice drop in used car prices though. The longer they sit on dealer lots, the more they depreciate. Cars are also sitting at auction waiting to be bought and there are a lot of lease returns waiting to be turned in which will also flood the used car market.

Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-19-2020, 02:33 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
As someone who swore I'd never own one, mainly because of the individuals who are typically associated with them, I picked up a third Gen 2013 WRX wagon in immaculate condition at market value (no subie tax) on Friday. I couldn't stand to have the Volvo in my driveway for another day, so I looked at the inventory of the guy I buy all my cars from and saw a WRX with under 55k miles. All the service records were included and everything was performed at a Mercedes dealership. A quick look underneath revealed not a lick of rust...even surface rust was absent. The interior was in even better shape. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was brand new.

Couldn't believe one this clean existed with the mileage it had. The car has a Cobb intake, Cobb cat-back and SPT boost gauge. Also has a OTS stage 1 Cobb tune which I'll be getting swapped once I add a few more bits and take the car to IAG to see what their thoughts are. I can get an idea of how far I want to take the build at that point.

I have to say...I get it. They're a riot to drive and the boxer rumble is fun to hear when you row through the gears. Pending how this treats me (still in honeymoon phase), the new STi is going to be heavily considered when the G goes.
Old 04-19-2020, 03:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
As someone who swore I'd never own one, mainly because of the individuals who are typically associated with them, I picked up a third Gen 2013 WRX wagon in immaculate condition at market value (no subie tax) on Friday. I couldn't stand to have the Volvo in my driveway for another day, so I looked at the inventory of the guy I buy all my cars from and saw a WRX with under 55k miles. All the service records were included and everything was performed at a Mercedes dealership. A quick look underneath revealed not a lick of rust...even surface rust was absent. The interior was in even better shape. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was brand new.

Couldn't believe one this clean existed with the mileage it had. The car has a Cobb intake, Cobb cat-back and SPT boost gauge. Also has a OTS stage 1 Cobb tune which I'll be getting swapped once I add a few more bits and take the car to IAG to see what their thoughts are. I can get an idea of how far I want to take the build at that point.

I have to say...I get it. They're a riot to drive and the boxer rumble is fun to hear when you row through the gears. Pending how this treats me (still in honeymoon phase), the new STi is going to be heavily considered when the G goes.
Good for you! Sounds like a nice car. I have a lot of experience with Subaurs (just look at my avitar of my 1st Subaru) and tracked them heavily for about a decade. I may be able to help if you are looking for the right parts or a good company to work with for parts. I am also very interested to see the next gen STI as I think they have a perfect opportunity to bring out something really good. I just wish we didn't have to wait another 2 years for it.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:19 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Thanks! I'm really enjoying it and I find myself coming up with excuses to take it out. IAG is right across the road (literally 5 minutes away) so I'll probably be going to them for tuning needs. Any advice on prolonging the life of the 5 speed (EJ in general?)? I've seen some people using blast plates but there is speculation as to what works and what doesn't. I think if I happen to get the itch I'll perform the STi 6MT upgrade (to include rear axles and R180). My current plans are to get a downpipe, bigger TMIC then a re-tune. Thoughts on TMIC vs. FMIC? I figure that puts the car in the 270-280ish whp arena and maintains reliability. Are you aware of any cheap/free mods I can do to? For example, I saw some people mention removing some filter and possibly replacing the plastic BPV for a metal one; any advice there? Maintenance intervals as well as the maintenance schedule says either "I' for inspect or the book recommends taking to dealership for service. I'd like to replace the drive line fluids and plugs so I know everything is fresh. Any guidance is appreciated. The car is going to be mainly a weekend car only. We can talk through PMs so this thread can stay on topic but I'd like to pick your brain about the WRX and what I can expect.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2020, 04:28 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
As someone who swore I'd never own one, mainly because of the individuals who are typically associated with them, I picked up a third Gen 2013 WRX wagon in immaculate condition at market value (no subie tax) on Friday.
pics???????
Old 04-19-2020, 05:30 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
I can't say I like the unequal header sound but I do like the new WRX's sound (or STI's with equal length). One of my co-workers has a 2017 WRX Stage 2 and we chat cars every day so I'm getting quite familiar with them lol. I know exhaust sounds are subjective but FA WRX with Tomei <3.

I'd love to have a FA WRX as a daily instead of my G35X.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:11 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

I'll throw up some tomorrow if I get a chance; as well as a sound clip if I can. The few mods are quality pieces so I can't see myself swapping them out. The FA WRXs are cool but I like the character and drama of the EJ. I'm sure they'll become the new norm in time since the new STi will probably have an FA variant but the wagon was also a big draw for me. Was never a hatch guy but got on a kick when I started looking into MK7 GTI but the Subie spoke to me.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:21 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
I have looked around a little bit and haven't seen much mention of the Audi A7. Base model A7 is similar HP (~335) and higher torque (~325) on a supercharged 3.0 V6. Honestly, it checks off a the same boxes plus a few more for me: more storage space as the rear seats fold down, REAR SEATS THAT FOLD DOWN, similar power that can be made into more power easier than our cars, nice smooth lines that make the car seem newer than it actually is, great tech inside, ability to go up to ~600 horsepower (if you have more coin in your pocket for the RS7).....need I go on?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm really enjoying it and I find myself coming up with excuses to take it out. IAG is right across the road (literally 5 minutes away) so I'll probably be going to them for tuning needs. Any advice on prolonging the life of the 5 speed (EJ in general?)? I've seen some people using blast plates but there is speculation as to what works and what doesn't. I think if I happen to get the itch I'll perform the STi 6MT upgrade (to include rear axles and R180). My current plans are to get a downpipe, bigger TMIC then a re-tune. Thoughts on TMIC vs. FMIC? I figure that puts the car in the 270-280ish whp arena and maintains reliability. Are you aware of any cheap/free mods I can do to? For example, I saw some people mention removing some filter and possibly replacing the plastic BPV for a metal one; any advice there? Maintenance intervals as well as the maintenance schedule says either "I' for inspect or the book recommends taking to dealership for service. I'd like to replace the drive line fluids and plugs so I know everything is fresh. Any guidance is appreciated. The car is going to be mainly a weekend car only. We can talk through PMs so this thread can stay on topic but I'd like to pick your brain about the WRX and what I can expect.

Thanks!
That's amazing that you have IAG right across the street. You probably won't need too much help from me then. Let's see, I had one WRX and one STI and both were pretty bulletproof on track for a long time, but I think it is because I did not get too carried away with power mods. Power-wise I kept it pretty simple for reliability and went Cobb stage 2 with their enormous bellmouth downpipe (looks like a cast iron sewer pipe) and exhaust. I spent much more money replacing every bushing in the suspension and most of the suspension and braking system in the WRX. It was a beast on track, but I would have been better off starting with an STI.

If I were you, I would stay away from a boost controller or different turbo and make sure the car is tuned to run with that intake. Typically, the WRX runs pretty lean with an intake. I just used a K&N drop in filter on my Subarus. I wouldn't get too concerned about a larger TMIC or a FMIC unless you are drag racing the car and it sits for a while. You really shouldn't get any sort of heat soak on the street or a spirited weekend drive if that is your objective with the car.

A lot of people swore by replacing the up pipe with one without a cat. It is a bit labor intensive and I could never tell any difference. Some people say it was safer in case part of the cat broke off and got mingled into the turbo.

Everyone always said that the transmission was like glass, but I never had any issues because I always kept that in the back of my mind and made sure I took it (relatively) easy on the transmission and always kept good fluid in it. I sold my WRX with over 90,000 miles and lots of track days and never had an issue. The other common issue is head gaskets leaking. I think I got lucky there as I never had the issue, but knew plenty of people with it. It stinks if it happens because you almost have to pull the engine to get to them.

Other than that, it should be a really fun car for you, especially in the snow.

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
I have looked around a little bit and haven't seen much mention of the Audi A7. Base model A7 is similar HP (~335) and higher torque (~325) on a supercharged 3.0 V6. Honestly, it checks off a the same boxes plus a few more for me: more storage space as the rear seats fold down, REAR SEATS THAT FOLD DOWN, similar power that can be made into more power easier than our cars, nice smooth lines that make the car seem newer than it actually is, great tech inside, ability to go up to ~600 horsepower (if you have more coin in your pocket for the RS7).....need I go on?
Isn't it funny how much you miss the fold down rear seat? That is one thing I am trying to make sure I get in my next car. I really like the styling of the A7 where it looks like a sedan, but is really a hatch. Good styling and so much easier to fit a bike or large item. Mazda did the same thing with their Mazda6 a long time ago and I thought it was brilliant because it looked just like the sedan. Unfortunately, it was short lived.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?