G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:35 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
You can't truly beat physics. My first three cars were under 2200 lbs each. With the safety regulations cars keep getting heavier. For what ever reason I keep picking sedans, even though I don 't need one very often. Sometimes my G feels bigger than I would want. I am of the opinion that something around 100-110" wheelbase is a good combination of ride and handling and 3000 lbs or less would be preferred as well, but most cars are bigger than that. At the current time I can't think of a sedan that you would truly like to track. While I don't have track in mind, I would like the sharp reflexes that a track car would have when I decide to go a little faster.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:55 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by ezbme
You can't truly beat physics. My first three cars were under 2200 lbs each. With the safety regulations cars keep getting heavier. For what ever reason I keep picking sedans, even though I don 't need one very often. Sometimes my G feels bigger than I would want. I am of the opinion that something around 100-110" wheelbase is a good combination of ride and handling and 3000 lbs or less would be preferred as well, but most cars are bigger than that. At the current time I can't think of a sedan that you would truly like to track. While I don't have track in mind, I would like the sharp reflexes that a track car would have when I decide to go a little faster.
That makes sense. You are sure right about cars getting bigger and weighing more. I like Colin Chapman's theory of adding lightness. It seems to improve every aspect of driving and I wish more manufacturers would pay more attention to it. Aside from the new Miata and M3 I cannot think of many cars that got lighter than their previous counterparts.

Just look how much bigger an R35 looks compared to an R34. It almost looks cartoon-like.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

I saw this persons shirt that said live simply, which is a good principle. I started thinking of my car choices again.

1. Tesla Model 3 the only question is how affordable will it be by 2021 or so. I would like to pay no more than 20k, it is silly to invest much on cars.
2. BMW 328i I have learned to like the F30
3. 2018 Audi S4, S5 or 2016 Mercedes C450
4. Lexus IS Fsport, Got to have that LFA inspired Dash.
5. 2018 Toyota C you next Tues cheap to maintain.

If not a daily driver perhaps

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5849/overview/

I wish my list wasn't so big. I also wish my car wouldn't lag at times, it feels like it is deciding what gear to go in. There are times that it feels like it doesn't want to go and then you push down more and suddenly you have more than you want. It doesn't happen a ton, but more than I want. It is nice to know exactly what you want then you could keep a good eye out. Having a lot of choices makes it more difficult.

A friend of mine was looking for a car and I might have influenced him to get a 2007 Lexus is350. While we were waiting to make the deal a 2008 that was better equipped came on the market. I almost wanted to buy it, since it had been my first choice before the G and the weird people I met selling their cars stopped me from getting one.

I have thought that the best situation would be buying a car that had just been modified and right after the owner had a non-car accident and his family was selling it like it was a std car. That way any car abuse was from me. That would be a rare situation.

Last edited by ezbme; 02-16-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:33 PM
solarguy35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve thought a IS-F would be a good replacement for my G. Nice luxury with a good amount of power. But throwing in the M3, and Caddy kinda puts the IS-F in the back of the pack. I’d definitely roll that Cadillac.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:52 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

I was on the audi forum and people there were having issues with both the Turbochargers and the dual clutch. The 2013+ A6 has Supercharging can be brought to 450hp, ZF 8speed Auto, so that would be much better to own. I have found ones for 11k on up. Another choice would be the 2018 S4 which also has the ZF 8 speed, but is turbocharged. The 2018 is the right size and has the digital dash and the quilted interior, but is also 40k, but by the time I get serious, it will probably be 20k or less. The nice thing is that I have plenty of time to make a decision.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I believe you had a link to a '97 911 Turbo for $25k here before it was removed. It must have been a misprint as those things usually go for $125k.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...st=911%7CTurbo
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Misprint or Fraud who knows. I am also thinking about this one, the resale is really high on these cars.. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9956/overview/
Old 02-18-2019, 08:12 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Misprint or Fraud who knows. I am also thinking about this one, the resale is really high on these cars.. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9956/overview/
I do like the Golf R quite a bit, but I am hopeful that there are some significant upgrades to the next generation. It looks like some versions of the next GTI will be almost as powerful as the current Golf R.

Speaking of "R" cars, next year marks 25 years old for the R33 GT-R so it will be legal here in the U.S. Hmm... Totally impractical for me as a 2dr. right now and I am sure getting parts and tuning will be difficult, but such a cool car. I know everyone drools over the R34, but for me the R33 is the perfect example of when I think Nissan hit their sporty styling peak in the mid 90's.

Another car that would be way easier to tune would be an Evo X. Maybe this is due to yet another snow storm coming in a couple of days, but I sure have been considering AWD cars a lot lately. I had an Evo X right before my G and really liked the car, but it did feel cheap inside and they do have an issue with a module that corrodes for the SAWC as well as a very small trunk. Other than that, cheap hp, AWD, great steering, and fun to drive. The car below sure looks good with the BBS rims from the MR model.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

The following users liked this post:
Oleathlaobhair (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:10 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
The EvoX is an interesting option for the reasons you mentioned. As long as you can get one with Recaros (and previous owner wasn't sold them..), I feel like one can live with the rest of the interior short comings. I always liked the look of the X and the 4B11 doesn't get the credit it's due.

Would you actually consider the MR over the GSR? You mentioned you had an X previously. Why did you get rid of it for the G (I may have asked you this in the past, apologies if I did)?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
R31 or R32 are my choices. R34 is probably my least favorite of the bunch, the lines are just a bit strange for me.

Anyway, I'm fairly convinced I will end up with a 2019 6 speed Civic Si this year after I sell my G35X. Was a blast to drive, light weight, only car with an LSD and active dampening control under 25k. Plus it gets well over 30mpg and I drive A LOT! Before all of you jump on the hate wagon, just try one out at the very least. I guarantee you it's more fun than a lot of these high end vehicles coming up in this thread, and a lot more practical.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:50 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I imagine it is. On paper the Si is a great car but aesthetically it just doesn't work for me. The Accord is more up my alley if I went the Honda route.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The Civic can be a fine car. However, whatever wow-factor you're feeling now... enjoy it, because eventually is will just be a Civic.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:39 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
The Civic can be a fine car. However, whatever wow-factor you're feeling now... enjoy it, because eventually is will just be a Civic.

That is how I feel about some of the cars I have through about. I love when they talk about cars that sell in small #s they consider them failures, I think of them as future classics and worth far more than they might sell currently as used vehicles.

One time I was picking up some suspension parts for my car and the guy had two Mitsubishi Gallant VR4s Wholly rare batman.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:10 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The same can be said about just about any of the cars mentioned, but at least with the Civic it's at a price that you probably won't experience huge buyers remorse . As I said I worked at a high end dealership for 3 years, all of those cars wow factors quickly fade too, and you're left with a huge price tag.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
The EvoX is an interesting option for the reasons you mentioned. As long as you can get one with Recaros (and previous owner wasn't sold them..), I feel like one can live with the rest of the interior short comings. I always liked the look of the X and the 4B11 doesn't get the credit it's due.

Would you actually consider the MR over the GSR? You mentioned you had an X previously. Why did you get rid of it for the G (I may have asked you this in the past, apologies if I did)?
'14 and older have the Recaro seats. They were the best oem seats I had in a car, but not as grippy as my Sparco. The interior was very plastic fantastic. Below is the only picture I could find of my '14. Hopefully, you can see the detail. I had the dash and trim on the doors carbon wrapped, the chrome tinted, and had custom titanium suede made for the shift boot, armrest, e-brake boot, door inserts, etc. It looked a lot better, but still cheap inside compared to our cars.

I would not consider an MR as I do not want the DCT. For daily driving and especially for tuning.

One of the reasons I got rid of it was the lack of interior quality. I had some back issues at the time and getting into those seats and the harsh ride was not the best thing for me. The car really needed a 6th gear and a bigger trunk too. I also did not like the exhaust sound. Finally, not having Xenon's, a decent stereo, nav, intelligent key, or a back up camera were not great, but I realize they were available optionally. The G37 fixed all of those issues. However, I do miss the torque and SAWC. It's too bad they no longer make this car as the next version would probably be awesome.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 02-19-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Quick Reply: What vehicle will be a worthy replacement for your sedan when it is time?