G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone removed the factory shift pattern?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 01:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Is that more shiny than it was originally? And just raw aluminum now... no clear coat?

I was thinking you'd put a matte clear coat over it when you were done.
Wow, you're up early. Anyway, yes it is bare aluminum polished with some paste wax on it. It matches all the other silver trim in the car perfectly and looks like it came from the factory that way. It kind of frames the shifter to make it look more important. As it should since manuals seem to be disappearing by the minute.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:54 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Wow, you're up early. Anyway, yes it is bare aluminum polished with some paste wax on it. It matches all the other silver trim in the car perfectly and looks like it came from the factory that way. It kind of frames the shifter to make it look more important.
I couldn't sleep. Up all night worried about your project.

IDK about the rationale here with the bare metal, because these pics make me think otherwise. But I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it all comes together with that new **** installed. I'm also curious what you do about height on that STS, if anything.

Have you decided which thread to do that in, or will you be creating another? I vote for a new one, but please keep the others updated, just in case. LOL
Old 09-15-2016, 03:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I couldn't sleep. Up all night worried about your project.

IDK about the rationale here with the bare metal, because these pics make me think otherwise. But I'm certainly looking forward to seeing how it all comes together with that new **** installed. I'm also curious what you do about height on that STS, if anything.

Have you decided which thread to do that in, or will you be creating another? I vote for a new one, but please keep the others updated, just in case. LOL
It's ok. You can go to sleep now that you know it turned out awesome. It really ties all the chrome trim together well, but it does make the shift **** stick out like a sore thumb. Difficult to get a good picture as it is so shiny like the other chrome trim.

Height should be easy since the shift **** is adjustable height and not much taller than the current shift ****.

Well, I really wanted to create a new shift **** thread, start of install thread, and finished product thread. But then I decided not to make your head explode. You're welcome.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:37 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Wow, that took some dedication, would think vinyl wrap would be the easiest route.

Also not a fan of the shift pattern being on the trim rather than the shift ****, and the shift **** design itself is pretty weak IMO

Would really like something simple and factory looking, like this, but with "stone" interior, would be nearly impossible to match

Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I've tried vinyl wrap before, but it just ends up looking cheap compared to actual metal. I thought about a carbon fiber wrap again, but thought it would make the interior look too dark.

You might be able to have a local leather/custom interior shop replace the leather with a matching color. It is such a small amount of leather that it should not be too expensive.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:37 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Subbd. Need to refer back when i tackle this summer.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Aside from the effort, there are a few downsides to doing this. When you remove the coating the part becomes extremely shiny so when the sun hits it at just the right angle it can get in your eyes. It will also show fine scratches easier. That being said, I am still glad I did it and really like the shift **** I have now with the shift pattern on top. Had I found a shift **** I liked without the shift pattern on it, I would have gone that route.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:20 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Aside from the effort, there are a few downsides to doing this. When you remove the coating the part becomes extremely shiny so when the sun hits it at just the right angle it can get in your eyes. It will also show fine scratches easier. That being said, I am still glad I did it and really like the shift **** I have now with the shift pattern on top. Had I found a shift **** I liked without the shift pattern on it, I would have gone that route.
thanks for that. My plan is to give it a brushed look with some fine sand paper and not polish it.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
thanks for that. My plan is to give it a brushed look with some fine sand paper and not polish it.
I don't know that your idea will work as it is a dull coating on top of shiny metal.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Have you considered wrapping it?

How about approaching a local body shop for advice and options? Better yet, a Tint shop.

Or how about sending it out to be hydro dipped?

In working with my shifter and boot over the last few years, my trim has a tiny deformation in one corner. It's really nothing, but I see it, and that makes it less than perfect. Is there a part number for this thing? Having two of them certainly mitigates the pressure if it became a project, and I think messing with the trim ring could be a project.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-11-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I am almost positive you can buy the trim piece separately. I swear I looked into this before attempting to melt the trim off of it and not thinking it was too terribly expensive in case I screwed it up royally. Look into it for sure before you start a project, but it seems strange that you would not be able to get it from any Infiniti dealer.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 PM
xsamsg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought about that, but I really like the brushed aluminum trim inside. I think a ton of carbon wrap would make it too black inside. I did carbon wrap in my last Evo over a lot of black plastic and that looked ok because we tinted the chrome and added dark gray suede inserts in the doors so there was still some contrast. Thanks for the idea though.

I think I am just going to see if they can put a different design on top of the shift ****
they have this one vinyl I saw somewhere where it’s just like stock except black brushed aluminum it’s clean if you like that oem look but still wanna wrap
Old 12-13-2018, 08:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xsamsg37

they have this one vinyl I saw somewhere where it’s just like stock except black brushed aluminum it’s clean if you like that oem look but still wanna wrap
I bet that would look nice. Have any links to that?