Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 449 Likes on 377 Posts
Drove to work on dry roads with new rubber (Kumho PS91) on 19" coupe wheels, 245/275 proper ratios. Smaller diameter than the POS 20"s that were on there at 225/35 and 275/30.

increased torque from smaller wheels I did not expect to be much but wow. Also poly differential bushing wow in driveline response (used to sound like the diff was slapping the underside of the car when I hard shifted). And the FI RHFC + Catback oh my god this is better than a canadian mistress. Dat burble.

I'm still undecided about the ebay short shifter. With tweaking it works fine and the shifts are very small and precise. But I don't really feel like it was sloppy before. I think I got my desired 15-20% reduction by putting on the smaller shift **** that sits about 1" lower than the stock one.

Definitely need an alignment and new rear swaybar links.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:36 AM
CubanDre
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
The rears are dropped quite a bit, or is that just the angle of the photo? Looking great!
Old 12-30-2019, 10:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,575 Likes on 3,426 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
So finally got to drive it. new rubber + 19" wheels with proper size tires + FI RHFC and FI catback... traction control loves me no more.
What's up with TC? Are you experiencing TC more or less with the new wheels & tires?

Drove to work on dry roads with new rubber (Kumho PS91) on 19" coupe wheels, 245/275 proper ratios. Smaller diameter than the POS 20"s that were on there at 225/35 and 275/30.

increased torque from smaller wheels I did not expect to be much but wow. Also poly differential bushing wow in driveline response (used to sound like the diff was slapping the underside of the car when I hard shifted). And the FI RHFC + Catback oh my god this is better than a canadian mistress. Dat burble.

I'm still undecided about the ebay short shifter. With tweaking it works fine and the shifts are very small and precise. But I don't really feel like it was sloppy before. I think I got my desired 15-20% reduction by putting on the smaller shift **** that sits about 1" lower than the stock one.

Definitely need an alignment and new rear swaybar links.
Reads like you're having some fun, and have reinvented your car. A full aftermarket exhaust can certainly do that. It's been years, and I still appreciate my FI RHFC and Catback.

IDK what ebay shifter you're talking about, but the TWM STS is still one of my favorite mods.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:49 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

With wet roads I needed to keep it below 1800 RPM or I'd get wheel slip. Above 3k RPM I'd get wheel hop. On dry roads this morning it was wheel hop about 4k+ unless I rolled into it super slow.

Normally I'd think tires, but the PS91s are summer UHP, are brand new, and generally rated well. It's not because it's winter either - been consistently in the 70s here. They certainly have more tread than the 275/30R20s I pulled off the back that had steel belts coming through.

I wonder if the TPMS throwing an error could mess with TC? I haven't been to a dealer to learn the new TPMS senders yet.

... yeah, it is pretty fun. The poly diff mounts should have been part of the infiniti Sport package.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

For the longest time, 4DRZ was experiencing unhappy wheel hop, too. I think the rear diff brace helped.

I don't experience wheel hop. Not at all. It either hooks up or it spins, entirely up to clutch engagement and my right foot.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:05 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

It's not horrible like Jeep death wobble. Also, while under the car it really looks like the suspension is all original - struts, springs, sways and links. I know the swaybar links are toast. I wouldn't be surprised if other parts are too.

With the lower rear gear I'd imagine you'd cross the hop threshold pretty quickly and go straight to spin. Hop is a weird problem of enough grip to go but not enough spring pressure making it stay on the ground.

Edited to add: I'm still being a little bit of a pu**y with it because I know the exhaust needs some break-in. Did the FI cat break in, now working on the 5 drive cycles. And the alignment is wobbly as heck - I don't want to spin into a jersey barrier trying to pass a semi.

Last edited by rotarymike; 12-30-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:06 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Also - found these, which look like they'd be a good replacement for the oem rubber:

https://corksport.com/2014-mazda-3-p...anger-kit.html

I compared the mazda rubber ones to the infiniti ones and they are the same unless a different rubber compound.

I probably need new/beefier rubber mounts for the rear of the exhaust.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

With the lower rear gear I'd imagine you'd cross the hop threshold pretty quickly and go straight to spin. Hop is a weird problem of enough grip to go but not enough spring pressure making it stay on the ground.
I experienced chronic wheel-hop in my old Maxima, so I know what it is and what it feels like. And you're right, with short rear gears (and TC off), rear spin is effortless. It forces you to relearn a new normal with the throttle. But like anything, once it becomes normal, it's fine.

Those first few weeks with the gears, though... wow, what a rush.
PNW_IPL (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 12:03 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I was hoping to keep the crappy tires on the back until I got used to the changed driving dynamics. But...

Old 12-30-2019, 02:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I was hoping to keep the crappy tires on the back until I got used to the changed driving dynamics. But...

OMG, those tires!

You know what? You've been here for a while, with mods and comments. So I moved your intro into the Build Threads. Seems like a reasonable jumping off point.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...y-unicorn.html

Last edited by Rochester; 12-30-2019 at 02:39 PM.
PNW_IPL (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 02:50 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Sigh. OK. (just kidding).
Old 12-30-2019, 03:25 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Wheel hop is generally a damper issue. My G never experienced wheel hop, but then I don't hoon it. No issues at the track, either, with stock S dampers or coil-overs.

My Miata, OTOH, did have a problem with wheel hop until I installed Öhlins.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:45 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Got the Kumhos mounted and put the front Coupe Sport wheels on to replace the spare and other ailing tire. Was going to try to get at least one coat of plastidip on the rears but it looks like it will be wet over the whole week.

On a similar note, found my old Air Force goretex top and bottom so I will be putting her on stands and starting the exhaust and diff mount tonight or tomorrow morning.

Question: 2013 Sedan, I need to get Infinity to use a Consult computer to learn the new TPMS sensors, correct? Not a Nissan dealer, not an aftermarket shop?
My local AutoZone was able to relearn the new TPMS sensors on my car using one of their OBDII diagnostic tools. They did it at no charge too. They said they could do all TPMS sensors through 2017.

With wet roads I needed to keep it below 1800 RPM or I'd get wheel slip. Above 3k RPM I'd get wheel hop. On dry roads this morning it was wheel hop about 4k+ unless I rolled into it super slow.

Normally I'd think tires, but the PS91s are summer UHP, are brand new, and generally rated well. It's not because it's winter either - been consistently in the 70s here. They certainly have more tread than the 275/30R20s I pulled off the back that had steel belts coming through.

I wonder if the TPMS throwing an error could mess with TC? I haven't been to a dealer to learn the new TPMS senders yet.

... yeah, it is pretty fun. The poly diff mounts should have been part of the infiniti Sport package.
I doubt the TC would be related to the TPMS sensors since the car uses the ABS sensors to detect wheel spin. It could be as simple as running too much air pressure in the rear tires. You could try lowering your air pressure a bit and see if that helps. It could also be an alignment issue that;s not allowing the rear tires to maintain their full contact patch under acceleration. It's also possible that since your rear tires are brand new they probably aren't using the entire contact patch yet. With heavier negative camber in the rear it may take some wear on the rear tires before you are able to fully utilize the full contact patch. If you have a handheld temperature gun to you check the tire temps across the entire width of the rear tires to help determine if your tires are getting fairly even contact across the tire.

If the TC is mainly kicking in during cornering or on corner exits then you can also try using a slightly softer setting for your rear sway bar, assuming you have adjustable sway bars. This should help reduce oversteer.

Originally Posted by Rochester
For the longest time, 4DRZ was experiencing unhappy wheel hop, too. I think the rear diff brace helped.

I don't experience wheel hop. Not at all. It either hooks up or it spins, entirely up to clutch engagement and my right foot.

Yeah, I'm with you... I have never experienced wheel hop on my G. I've found that a lot of times wheel hop is caused by a damper issue or possibly even an alignment issue. If you have adjustable dampers then you can play with the damping adjustments to try and reduce or eliminate your wheel hop. If you do not have enough damping in the rear then it can be hard to put the power down to the road. If there there is not enough damping on the rebound then the wheel can return to its static setting too quickly and then start to hop again. So, if you have adjustable dampers, then I would try adding a little addition damping to rear and see if that helps.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:43 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Suspension is all stock 60K infiniti 6MT. For now. Swaybars are on the list but money's been tight, we had a big trip right before Christmas and and and.New shocks might be called for. The swaybar links in the rear are worn as I'd be comfortable with without being dangerous.The car does need an alignment since I think I have toe out on the front and too much negative camber in the rear (see pic of tires above).
2GoRNot2G (01-03-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 01:52 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Repeat after me: toe is the tire killer.

Oh, and burn-outs.
The following 2 users liked this post by slartibartfast:
2GoRNot2G (01-03-2020), thezinfan (01-07-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?