Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CF4714
Do you know of a resonated axleback exhaust on the cheaper side? I may pull the trigger on those but I just don't want to regret it
Do yourself a favor and check out some video clips on YouTube. By “resonated” do you mean on the quieter side until you get on it? I’ve got Tanabe axlebacks currently on stock cats and it’s too quiet for me. I think a good middle-ground would be Top Speed. Or you could go the route of Tanabe and a different resonator like 93Owner. He posted some clips farther up in the thread ^ that sound like what you might be after.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Wellnotexactly

Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Damn that sucks man. This is one of the reasons i decided not to buy the Motordyne art pipe, i don't want to go through the same dog and pony show i went through for my catback. Hopefully they get their **** together and do it right the third time. Smh
Yeah I think I’ve just had crazy bad luck with this system. It’s time off of work along with an hour long drive each way from the shop. It blows my mind how they can screw up the way they have twice, when BOTH times the information from the shop was relayed clearly that I had an AWD SEDAN. Its also costing the shop time and money to put my car on a lift, take apart my catback and discover its ANOTHER wrong part. At this point with respect to what my time is worth at work, gas each way, and the shop labor, the exhaust should be free.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
Update: Motordyne ****ed up again. First time they sent me a RWD y-pipe. Now they sent me an AWD y-pipe that was too short (guessing it was for a coupe). Third time is the charm I guess? This is getting out of hand.
Wow, you've got to be kidding me. I didn't think anyone would have an even unluckier series of unfortunate events than I had with Motordyne. Sorry to hear that man. They need to make things right past just getting the damn order correct after 3 times. Send their customers the right message.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM
Jake85

Berk HFC's were installed today. I only have driven it a few miles but my god is it loud. Not sure how much I like it yet as it has eliminated some of the refined, exotic type sound of the Motordyne. It is completely unhinged and brutal now which is what I asked for.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:54 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Update: Motordyne ****ed up again. First time they sent me a RWD y-pipe. Now they sent me an AWD y-pipe that was too short (guessing it was for a coupe). Third time is the charm I guess? This is getting out of hand.
Wow. That is definitely getting out of hand but on the bright side, I doubt they can send you any other Y-Pipes besides the AWD unless they just go out the roof and send you a 350Z / 370Z one. Process of elimination Regardless, that is unfortunate to hear and I understand the pressure / stress it puts on the shop. Crazy.

Originally Posted by Jake85
https://youtu.be/sh8oEcbe7rY

Berk HFC's were installed today. I only have driven it a few miles but my god is it loud. Not sure how much I like it yet as it has eliminated some of the refined, exotic type sound of the Motordyne. It is completely unhinged and brutal now which is what I asked for.
See, I never heard it with stock cats. So I could've missed that "exotic" tone all along. But regardless, my MD still sounds pretty exotic. From previous threads regarding HFCs when I was purchasing, I think Berk's were one of the more free flowing HFC's out of the popular bunch. Even though Z1's are 200 cell count as well, I've read posts comparing them in the middle of FI RHFC and Berk HFC, but then again, they probably lean more towards the Berks. Mine got a little quieter since the exhaust is broken in, which is good.

Wait until the cold start tomorrow morning... Actually, wait until you do a pull from first to third to get onto the freeway.. THAT is either going to be a really GOOD loud or a not so good loud.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 PM
Jake85

Originally Posted by SkyG37
Wow. That is definitely getting out of hand but on the bright side, I doubt they can send you any other Y-Pipes besides the AWD unless they just go out the roof and send you a 350Z / 370Z one. Process of elimination Regardless, that is unfortunate to hear and I understand the pressure / stress it puts on the shop. Crazy.

See, I never heard it with stock cats. So I could've missed that "exotic" tone all along. But regardless, my MD still sounds pretty exotic. From previous threads regarding HFCs when I was purchasing, I think Berk's were one of the more free flowing HFC's out of the popular bunch. Even though Z1's are 200 cell count as well, I've read posts comparing them in the middle of FI RHFC and Berk HFC, but then again, they probably lean more towards the Berks. Mine got a little quieter since the exhaust is broken in, which is good.

Wait until the cold start tomorrow morning... Actually, wait until you do a pull from first to third to get onto the freeway.. THAT is either going to be a really GOOD loud or a not so good loud.
After starting it up the second time to go on a more proper drive, I am pretty much speechless. It sounds like an old F1 car when they had v10s. Its bananas
Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 PM
Wellnotexactly

After starting it up the second time to go on a more proper drive, I am pretty much speechless. It sounds like an old F1 car when they had v10s. Its bananas
Jake yours and Sky sound beastly. I just picked up my Berk HFCs and this was what I was nervous about. For a daily I’ve been worried that it might be too loud. Sky’s video helped out with the cruising volume but I’d still like to pick both of your brains about this. Is it too much for a daily? In low RPMs? Part of me wants to install the catback first just to see how I feel. Whenever Motordyne decides to send me the right goddamn parts of course.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Jake yours and Sky sound beastly. I just picked up my Berk HFCs and this was what I was nervous about. For a daily I’ve been worried that it might be too loud. Sky’s video helped out with the cruising volume but I’d still like to pick both of your brains about this. Is it too much for a daily? In low RPMs? Part of me wants to install the catback first just to see how I feel. Whenever Motordyne decides to send me the right goddamn parts of course.
I can live with it. It's not too much for me. The drone isn't bad at all when cruising either except it's more noticeable when I'm under 2k RPM. But it can be quiet as long as you in automatic mode. You need to avoid downshifts to stay quiet because they will turn necks .

For example, today I was driving on the freeway in traffic (CA). I have 18% tint on my front windows which is technically illegal and dark (especially when it's raining like today). I was driving very lightly as I passed a CHP officer but we stayed neck to neck for a good 5 minutes. I just kept it light on the acceleration and he didn't pull me over, but if I would done any sort of driving or acceleration above 4k he wouldve probably pulled me over. So it can be quiet when needed.

I can say after switching to MD from Ark, it's like the feeling I got when I first got my Ark. I want to drive everywhere to hear it , but I also have to be smarter when to gas it as it can be heard from a few blocks if you're under full throttle

Edit: another thing to think about is your field of job. Does it require 100% professional presentation in order to make money, such as a realtor? Some clients might be alarmed when they hear the exhaust but as mentioned , it depends as you can control the sound depending on how you drive.

Last edited by SkyG37; 11-13-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:24 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Right ? It's some crazy haha. How does it compare to the MD paired with stock cats ? Is it way louder? Is it deeper? Or pretty much your thoughts for anyone who wants to maybe go over to R/HFCs or TPs with the E370.

The upshifts and downshifts are something else huh haha
Old 11-14-2017, 03:51 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Any rasp with that set up Jake? And since you mentioned the sound with the stock cats is different, hiw much if a difference is it as far as sound quality? I really like how it sounds with the stock cats so far.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:40 AM
Jake85

Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Any rasp with that set up Jake? And since you mentioned the sound with the stock cats is different, hiw much if a difference is it as far as sound quality? I really like how it sounds with the stock cats so far.
Definitely some rasp but I like it. It’s just a much more brutal creature with HFCs. It’s definitely not as refined and tuned a sound as it was before the HFCs. If you really appreciate just the raw sound off the engine screaming than you may like it. It turns into something special, something more when getting after it. It’s outrageous, it sounds like a race car. I was ripping it on the highway and was just in complete awe. I may get tired of it eventually and want to tone it down with RHFCs but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Wellnotexactly

Definitely some rasp but I like it. It’s just a much more brutal creature with HFCs. It’s definitely not as refined and tuned a sound as it was before the HFCs. If you really appreciate just the raw sound off the engine screaming than you may like it. It turns into something special, something more when getting after it. It’s outrageous, it sounds like a race car. I was ripping it on the highway and was just in complete awe. I may get tired of it eventually and want to tone it down with RHFCs but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Gahhh I totally agree with the “in awe” part. Heard a local 350z with Berks and MD catback. You all were not kidding, Jesus H. Christ it is loud. It’s a beautiful and violent sound and it’s literally so raw. But it’s just too much for me and my s/o as a daily. So the Berk HFC I literally picked up a day ago are now FS I’m out about $150 from the expedited shipping but lesson learned, impulsive shopping got the best of me lol.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,592 Likes on 3,437 Posts
Loud exhausts can be a very rewarding experience when driving the car, but it's not the right sound for every moment. You'll learn how to baby the throttle and tamp down the noise... which makes a heavy throttle all the more fun when you do it.

It might sound like rationalization, but in the right context, a loud exhaust can actually make you a more sensible driver in traffic. It can also make you a total d1ck. It all depending on the driver, I suppose.

Last edited by Rochester; 11-15-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Jake85

Gahhh I totally agree with the “in awe” part. Heard a local 350z with Berks and MD catback. You all were not kidding, Jesus H. Christ it is loud. It’s a beautiful and violent sound and it’s literally so raw. But it’s just too much for me and my s/o as a daily. So the Berk HFC I literally picked up a day ago are now FS I’m out about $150 from the expedited shipping but lesson learned, impulsive shopping got the best of me lol.
Yeah I have to be honest. I hate what the HFCs have done to cheapen the sound. The drone between 1500-2000 rpm is unbearable. The raspiness ****ing sucks and it sounds like garbage unless you’re getting after it. I’m selling them for 350$ if anyone you know is interested. Everything I said before was true but driving it this morning was terrible. Going with Fast Intentions RHFC.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Wellnotexactly

Yeah I have to be honest. I hate what the HFCs have done to cheapen the sound. The drone between 1500-2000 rpm is unbearable. The raspiness ****ing sucks and it sounds like garbage unless you’re getting after it. I’m selling them for 350$ if anyone you know is interested. Everything I said before was true but driving it this morning was terrible. Going with Fast Intentions RHFC.
Jake, sad to hear you aren't digging the HFC + E370 combo but at least you tried both out and were able to choose based on personal preference. Hearing the exhaust in person with both setups is probably ideal for anyone going forward on pulling the trigger.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Loud exhausts can be a very rewarding experience when driving the car, but it's not the right sound for every moment. You'll learn how to baby the throttle and tamp down the noise... which makes a heavy throttle all the more fun when you do it.

It might sound like rationalization, but in the right context, a loud exhaust can actually make you a more sensible driver in traffic. It can also make you a total d1ck. It all depending on the driver, I suppose.
Too true, Rochester. I've had my fair share of cutouts, wastegate cutouts/open dumps, and straight piped cars to know this. I feel at this point in my life/career I don't really need or want the "always on" factor here. Which brings me to my next point....

Motordyne update #3238653253: Spoke to the tuning shop and when doing a recent install of another E370 system to another customers G37x, they decided to test fit the y-pipe from my system. Fit like a glove. So it turns out that they didn't, in fact, send me a coupe awd y-pipe, but that the transfer case on the 7 speed AT is smaller/shorter than the transfer case of the 5 AT (which I have).

They sent pictures/gave MD a call and they were just as surprised as all of us were/are. So, it's been a learning experience for all parties involved. In going forward, along with having to account for the transfer case on AWD models, it looks like the length of the transfer case between 07-08 and 09+ models dictates what will/won't fit.

Because of this, it's physically impossible for me to order an off the shelf catback from MD, without them engineering a fix for the earlier model 5 AT transfer cases with respect to the y-pipe. The shop has been nothing but awesome here and is currently working things out with MD, and I'm confident every party will walk away with some sort of compensation for their time/troubles.

I'm bummed that I won't be able to have the exhaust I've been fixating on for months, and the whole experience has me burnt out. I'm hoping that through all of this, other forum members that are 07-08 owners won't make the same mistakes, and that the community here will add one more tidbit of knowledge to its vast catalog. It's also given me a bit of perspective now, and if/when I'm refunded the money I spent on the exhaust, I think I'll move my focus to aesthetics rather than noise. This might be the universe telling me to finally order those TE37s and coilovers I've had on my wishlist for weeks.

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread