Sponsored by:

The Sedan Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:03 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyG37
Well this is my daily. As of right now, I want to drive everywhere just to hear it .. so for me, I can daily drive it. I feel with this exhaust, no matter what, people will know you have an aftermarket exhaust. That is because the sound is so unique and exotic that they know that's not how a stock G37 sounds. Other then that, I literally think it sounds like a mini gtr. The best comparison I can put to it. I could be totally wrong because I haven't heard it from the outside but in cabin / with the windows down, it sounds great. I also thought it was going to be higher pitched when it's actually not but more of an exotic pitch.

I'll tell you about drone in a few hours. Gonna do a quick 10 mi trip on the freeway really quick so I'll test out the drone. So far though, I am happy I made the purchase
Lol, i still look for any reason to go on a drive. I had the wife drive it and do a flyby the other day, fell in love all over again.

Sound good man, and thanks i look forward to hear the results.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:25 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Damn Jake, that sounds like a beauty. Congratulations. But from the sound of that, it's going to amplify with them Berks. Haha the exhaust shop said it fit like a glove for the exhaust, wait til they try and take that demon bolt out haha. But anyways, sounds great. I would definitely add the Berks. same for you WellNot, add a pair of HFC haha. It'll make it sound that much better I feel like.

Hopefully I install mine today and give you a taste of how it sounds with a HFC. For some odd reason though, I feel like it's not going to work out today. How much did you pay for the install if I may ask?

I think he does. If I remember correctly, hes installing his Berks in a week. Order a pair of RHFC haha. OR see if Mariella can give you a discount for the wait time and errors on your CBE for a pair of ART pipes.

Sounds great. Actually the bottom clip sounds really good for custom. I like it alot.

Thanks man, I cant even believe how good it is in person. I cant wait for the HFCs to be installed though. I want the sound to be even more unhinged. Dont mind at all, $120.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 PM
woofersus
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Im sorry to hear. Do you think it is mainly due to the RHFC though? And that's kind of odd you feel like you LOST power. But regardless, I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience. One thing I've learned about exhausts is, unless you hear them in person, you're taking a gamble on the sound. YouTube does not to justice on most exhausts, especially on sound.
Yeah, I was a little worried about having not heard it in person first. It seems plausible that the cats are influencing the total volume level a lot. It only added a little volume to the stock system, but it could be making a bigger difference now. The volume peaks between 3.5k-5k rpm and doesn't really increase after that, and that's where the power feels like it weirdly levels off too, when it used to pull hard just about to redline. It does seem like I have a little more power right in that band, but it's a little tough to decipher if that's just a better ability to put the power down since I had the diff bushings done at the same time. It feels way more solid off the line and shifting 1-2, 2-3 than before. That's for sure. I was starting to think I had a problem with my torque converter. Thumbs up on that mod.

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
I currently run top speed y back with ART pipes and I’m satisfied the way it sounds for the price. Since I added the resonated xyz pipe from Motordyne it quieter now. Top Speed is quiet compared to other exhaust. I think you should of went with invidea q300 is you really wanted to quiet or stayed stock. Yes there is a drone in the cabin but most exhaust do unless you spend a k or more on a quality exhaust. For 550 the y back is good buy imo
I really mostly wanted to reduce constriction before tuning, and have better-looking tips. A little volume bump was secondary. The videos and website description made me think it wasn't going to be so loud. And it's not just volume, but a bellow-y trumpety character in the mid-rpms that just doesn't sound great. The guys at the shop didn't care for it either, but they waited for me to say so before they admitted it, lol. Without a reference point to what people consider loud or not it was hard to tell, and I see all these people regretting Tanabe because they want MORE volume...

I thought the Q300 was RWD only, but that could be a solution if it would fit. I know that one is supposed to be really quiet, but I saw a video of it with/without Berk HFC's and it made a pretty big difference in how loud it was. Owner complained of some rasp, but my cats are resonated so it should be less of an issue.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:03 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
e370 sounds really nice sky. i think it'll only get better once you break the exhaust in.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:21 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks kroy.
​​​​​well here's another update:
​​​​​​
​​​​After driving it for about 50 miles, I have somewhat an idea of how the exhaust sounds. As far as rasp, very minimal to none. This is from what I can hear in cabin, not sure about on the outside. Now I did notice some hiss on decel when in first gear manual mode and you get it up to about 3.5k rpm and let go. That's the only time I really heard the hiss. Other than that, it keeps that exotic tone throughout. After 4k, it's just amplified to the max.

As for the drone, I tend to always drive on the highway in manual mode (7AT). At speeds of 70 in 6th and 7th gear, if you are cruising meaning relaxed driving, drone is about a 1/10. Veryy miniscule. You will hear the exhaust when you accelerate though of course. 80 mph was about the same. If you are cruising at 3k or above, I feel like you will hear the exhaust / get some drone.

The parts that surprised me the most about the exhaust is not only the tone but upshifts and downshifts. As I change gears when accelerating, it now gives a "grunt" sound / feeling. Im not sure if you guys know what I mean, but automatic bimmers, mbens, and many other sport cars do it as well. But the VQ note paired with the exhaust gives a satisfying grunt Everytime I'm accelerating and shifting. The downshifts now are something crazy. It's like godzilla (maybe exaggerating a little bit....) being woken up from a grumpy nap every downshift. Maybe not THAT aggressive but it's pretty aggressive and nice. I'm not sure if ARTs are quieter or louder than Z1 HFC, but I'm assuming Maqs system does the same. Or really anyone running aftermarket cats with the e370.

Going back to class in an hour. Any requested speeds / gear you guys want me to test out for drone? I know 70 and 80 is high but that's the flow of traffic in California when there's minimal traffic. Sorry if this was hard to read, typing on my phone.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Wellnotexactly

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Thanks kroy.
​​​​​​
​​​​After driving it for about 50 miles, I have somewhat an idea of how the exhaust sounds. As far as rasp, very minimal to none. This is from what I can hear in cabin, not sure about on the outside. Now I did notice some hiss on decel when in first gear manual mode and you get it up to about 3.5k rpm and let go. That's the only time I really heard the hiss. Other than that, it keeps that exotic tone throughout. After 4k, it's just amplified to the max.

As for the drone, I tend to always drive on the highway in manual mode (7AT). At speeds of 70 in 6th and 7th gear, if you are cruising meaning relaxed driving, drone is about a 1/10. Veryy miniscule. You will hear the exhaust when you accelerate though of course. 80 mph was about the same. If you are cruising at 3k or above, I feel like you will hear the exhaust / get some drone.

The parts that surprised me the most about the exhaust is not only the tone but upshifts and downshifts. As I change gears when accelerating, it now gives a "grunt" sound / feeling. Im not sure if you guys know what I mean, but automatic bimmers, mbens, and many other sport cars do it as well. But the VQ note paired with the exhaust gives a satisfying grunt Everytime I'm accelerating and shifting. The downshifts now are something crazy. It's like godzilla (maybe exaggerating a little bit....) being woken up from a grumpy nap every downshift. Maybe not THAT aggressive but it's pretty aggressive and nice. I'm not sure if ARTs are quieter or louder than Z1 HFC, but I'm assuming Maqs system does the same. Or really anyone running aftermarket cats with the e370.

Going back to class in an hour. Any requested speeds / gear you guys want me to test out for drone? I know 70 and 80 is high but that's the flow of traffic in California when there's minimal traffic. Sorry if this was hard to read, typing on my phone.
The grunts you talk about remind me of DSG farts from when I had my VW. Any chance you can get warm idle and some low/partial throttle drive bys?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Jake85

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks kroy.
​​​​​​

I have the grunt too! Sounds mean.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Thanks kroy.
​​​​​​

Thanks for the update man, i know i appreciate it. There's a Z1 hfc for sale on offer up. How convenient lol. You should do a flyby when you get a chance.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:33 PM
buttersG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi. I am new here. just got my G37xs in August. been looking around for an exhaust but I am finding it difficult to find one that will fit my car being all wheel drive. I've herd there is a difference in fitment between the awd and rwd. does anyone have any info or knowledge they'd like to drop on me about this?? it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:40 AM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Wellnotexactly
The grunts you talk about remind me of DSG farts from when I had my VW. Any chance you can get warm idle and some low/partial throttle drive bys?
Originally Posted by VQ37VHR13
Thanks for the update man, i know i appreciate it. There's a Z1 hfc for sale on offer up. How convenient lol. You should do a flyby when you get a chance.
Ill try and get a lower speed / partial throttle drive by and MAYBE get an actual flyby today. It's just (1) no one can record it for me so I need to leave my phone down. Hopefully it doesn't get stolen. And (2) the specific city I live in is pretty safe. Meaning the cops WILL ticket me for tint / exhaust noise. But I'll try and get that for you guys around 3 pst today
Old 11-07-2017, 10:51 AM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jake85
I have the grunt too! Sounds mean.
We need your opinion on it too ! What do you think of the exhaust sir Jake? Especially after all the wait time, was it worth it...? OF COUR.. I mean, that's for you to answer.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,589 Likes on 3,434 Posts
What do you think of the exhaust sir Jake?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:59 PM
SkyG37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
This is probably exactly how he feels. ahaahhahaha
Old 11-07-2017, 01:25 PM
VQ37VHR13
Registered Member

Originally Posted by buttersG37
hi. I am new here. just got my G37xs in August. been looking around for an exhaust but I am finding it difficult to find one that will fit my car being all wheel drive. I've herd there is a difference in fitment between the awd and rwd. does anyone have any info or knowledge they'd like to drop on me about this?? it would be greatly appreciated.
The difference is usually certain Y pipes can't clear the AWD transfer case. You can find a bunch of post regarding this though.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:30 PM
buttersG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the info. appreciated!

Quick Reply: The Sedan Exhaust Thread