Sponsored by:

Car modding insurance ramifications

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:22 PM
the_wolff
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Car modding insurance ramifications

Hi, I'm new to modding (never owned anything worth messing with), and I've got some questions regarding insurance. I'm just looking at bolt-on breather mods, but I'm wondering the following:

1) Can my insurance company deny a claim if they don't know the car is outside of OEM spec, if the mod had nothing to do with the accident. Something like rear-ending a car. Could an ins company say "we didn't know you had an after-market intake, you nullified the agreement, so we're not going to pay damages"? Are insurance companies likely to take such action?

2) Do most most people who mod inform insurance companies about modifications? Are insurance companies willing to insure something that is modded? I'm with USAA, does every company handle it differently?

3) On repair, I know many ins companies (unless you're paying a premium) will replace with refurb/generic parts. Has anyone successfully worked with a repair shop to pay the difference to get performance parts replaced?

4) If the car gets totaled, is there much opportunity to pull parts off it (swapping in OEM), or does the insurance company own it "as is" at that point?

Anything else I'm missing? Please don't mention anything that could get you into trouble down the road. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
I had Geico and my G was lowered and had wheels. Geico added that into the system and put 1k for my wheels and like some hundred for the lowering parts if I were to get it totaled they would imburse me for it, you shouldn't have any trouble insuring a modded car
The following users liked this post:
the_wolff (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 04:54 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
you best advice is to call your insurance company and ask them..
mine said as long as I have receipts I'm good
the_wolff (03-06-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
1. No. No.
2. No. Yes, for an additional premium. Basically all of them charge an extra premium that's a percentage of the cost of what you're insuring.
3. If you have a shop that works for you, you can often get OEM parts instead of aftermarket "equivalent" parts. Insurance won't pay for aftermarket performance parts unless you had them insured.
4. Often you can if you can access the car and work fast.
the_wolff (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:21 AM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by the_wolff
Hi, I'm new to modding (never owned anything worth messing with), and I've got some questions regarding insurance. I'm just looking at bolt-on breather mods, but I'm wondering the following:

1) Can my insurance company deny a claim if they don't know the car is outside of OEM spec, if the mod had nothing to do with the accident. Something like rear-ending a car. Could an ins company say "we didn't know you had an after-market intake, you nullified the agreement, so we're not going to pay damages"? Are insurance companies likely to take such action?

2) Do most most people who mod inform insurance companies about modifications? Are insurance companies willing to insure something that is modded? I'm with USAA, does every company handle it differently?

3) On repair, I know many ins companies (unless you're paying a premium) will replace with refurb/generic parts. Has anyone successfully worked with a repair shop to pay the difference to get performance parts replaced?

4) If the car gets totaled, is there much opportunity to pull parts off it (swapping in OEM), or does the insurance company own it "as is" at that point?

Anything else I'm missing? Please don't mention anything that could get you into trouble down the road. Thanks in advance for the help!
I have travelers and they let me put a $5k policy on aftermarket stuff to insure should anything happen. It cost me like 3$ more a month for that. So If I got in a wreck I have all receipts totaling more than $5kthey will give me what I can prove I own on the car up to $5k. For me the $18 per 6 months is worth knowing I won't be out of Luck should something happen
the_wolff (03-06-2016)