Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sedan's engine feels like stalling when Turning on

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:03 AM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sedan's engine feels like stalling when Turning on

Hey guys it was 5C (41F) here in yyc this morning and was the second time the car felt like stalling when turning it on, press start button engine roars but stops/stalls, I had to press the gas and the motor ended up turning on.
Brought it to my friends garage to get the ecu checked, battery tested at 13.3-14 Volts, and no codes what so ever.
We were able to make the car do the stalling thing happen more 3 times(weather was a lot wormer tho) with no codes, had 1 battery voltage swing went from normal range to 12 V and the car seem to run out of power, but didn't stall.

So, we looked online(don't remember the website,,, sole people say to change the battery, battery is no longer than 1 year old!

Ps: long story short...

1. Engine is having trouble starting up. It does turn on but feels like running out of gas/air... Press on gas and car is able to start.
2. Went get codes checked... All "fine"
3. My friend recommended cleaning the MAFS/ or replacing belts. But really doesn't want to do anything unless we are sure.
4. He notice some dry engine coolant... We assume there could be a very small leak somewhere.
5. Sort of irrelevant... My step dad Avalon didn't start at all that same day(4 days ago) ... Had the stater replaced... But is a 15 year old Toyota though... He just had a stroke as I was typing this... Sorry if my post don't make sense now.

Anyone might know what could be causing this?

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2015, 06:24 AM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Had this problem with increasing frequency, and in some cases the car actually would stall. I took it in to infiniti, and the throttle bodies were replaced under warranty. Hasn't happened ever since.
The following users liked this post:
claudiohv (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 05:49 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by claudiohv
Hey guys it was 5C (41F) here in yyc this morning and was the second time the car felt like stalling when turning it on, press start button engine roars but stops/stalls, I had to press the gas and the motor ended up turning on.
Brought it to my friends garage to get the ecu checked, battery tested at 13.3-14 Volts, and no codes what so ever.
We were able to make the car do the stalling thing happen more 3 times(weather was a lot wormer tho) with no codes, had 1 battery voltage swing went from normal range to 12 V and the car seem to run out of power, but didn't stall.

So, we looked online(don't remember the website,,, sole people say to change the battery, battery is no longer than 1 year old!

Ps: long story short...

1. Engine is having trouble starting up. It does turn on but feels like running out of gas/air... Press on gas and car is able to start.
2. Went get codes checked... All "fine"
3. My friend recommended cleaning the MAFS/ or replacing belts. But really doesn't want to do anything unless we are sure.
4. He notice some dry engine coolant... We assume there could be a very small leak somewhere.
5. Sort of irrelevant... My step dad Avalon didn't start at all that same day(4 days ago) ... Had the stater replaced... But is a 15 year old Toyota though... He just had a stroke as I was typing this... Sorry if my post don't make sense now.

Anyone might know what could be causing this?

Thanks!
Yeah. Clean your throttle bodies. There's a do it yourself in the DIY section. Should take an hour.
claudiohv (10-17-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 PM
claudiohv

Nissan delearship used regular oil instead of synthetic... Wonder if this is causing it
Old 10-19-2015, 05:48 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
they can use Synthetic or Conventional would not cause the issue...
claudiohv (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
clean your throttle bodies, do the relearn and PCM reset procedure outlined in the DIY section
claudiohv (10-19-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 06:22 PM
JinV36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's up guys.

So I had this problem happening and since I just bought car a few months prior, I also had the stealership do a 60k maintenance as well as TB cleaning. I only did this because I thought my car was still under B2B warranty and anything found wrong could be replaced under that, but the person at the dealership misinformed us and said it is not under warranty. Anyways they said TB cleaning would fix it. Few weeks later, and it's happening worst than the first time. They did use non synthetic but as stated, I assume it doesn't have anything to do with it.

They are offering a free diagnostic but any other suggestions. I cleaned my TB 3 weeks ago and it occurs worst but not more than before. About the same amount of occurances

this does not have any relations with the timing gasket covers which is made with paper instead of metal / SS? Causing oil pressure leaking? Not quite sure but i hope not haha cause that's a costly repair
Old 10-27-2015, 09:18 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
Unless your finding oil leaking the gasket isn't going to be the issue either...
Is there oil covering the engine? If it's a very light oil residue they will not do anything unless their is a major leak..
Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 PM
claudiohv

On saturday im taking the car to mu friends shot we are cleaning Tb and mafs, friend is leaning towards fuel pump!

thanks for the support/advice. Ill keep you guys in touch... 2000km more and its oil change time. Im driving the car lots... so its not happening very often now... but if i leave the car with out running for 10+ hours my guess is that its going to start acting up again.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:47 AM
JinV36

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chuckie311
Unless your finding oil leaking the gasket isn't going to be the issue either...
Is there oil covering the engine? If it's a very light oil residue they will not do anything unless their is a major leak..
Will look when there is light tomorrow. Another idea, could it be the battery itself? Honestly, I think the previous owner hasn't replaced the battery and it is at 60,000 miles currently. I am going to replace the battery tomorrow and maybe see if that has anything to do with it. If it doesnt, well at laest I replaced my battery lol. I scheduled the free diagnostic for Friday, so we'll see.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:57 PM
tlh4tung

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the start up problem too but my case is only occur when I try to restart the engine when the engine is already hot. It happens randomly but cold start never has any problem.
My car has 60k on it and I took it to dealership this morning only because I have extended warranty.
They just call me back said the tech has found the problem is cause by the 'Absolute Pressure Sensor' malfunctioning.
They said it's covered under warranty and I'll see does the problem goes away when I get my car back.
claudiohv (10-31-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Yazovets

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I had that exact problem on my former car (2009 G37x). I found absolutely no solution even after reporting it to the dealer and my mechanic. I simply lived with it.

It happened all the same despite a new battery and throttle bottle cleaning (which by the way does absolutely nothing for this issue, neither the throttle lag which sometimes occurred).

End solution: trade car in.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:13 PM
claudiohv

Throttle bodies and MAFs were cleaned today, throttle response never felt this good! There was a lot of dirt...(tar?,etc). Tried to replicate the issue, car responded very well to the clean, big thanks to drive clean Calgary! (Car never felt like this before! In a good way)

Ps: found a leak on the engine coolant black housing that is connecting to the engine... Hopefully will get repaired by the end of next week!

Thanks for the help you guys,