G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Is a RWD dangerous on the snow?
No
32.61%
Depends on how you drive (so: no unless you're stupid)
50.00%
Yes
17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think? G37s in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:55 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Agreed on everyone else saying you'll be fine, I spent the last couple winters in different RWD cars and good tires without too many problems.

Originally Posted by PG-v36_6MT
RWD in the snow? No problem

Different car, but here's my RWD mountain pic from a performance winter driving course done on a frozen lake last winter.
What do you think? G37s in the snow?-0p1sqov.jpg
Old 09-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's a great point. TC will keep you straight-ish and safe. But if you're stuck and need to muscle the car around with some finesse, you have to turn TC off.
My previous car was a Camry and you couldn't turn off t/c. That car was downright dangerous in the snow because of it. You'd try to pull out, get the slightest amount of slip and the car would essentially shut down. If you weren't stuck, it would get you stuck.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:55 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Laguna
I don't really know, I live in North California and we've heard of weird things like "snow" and "rain". I guess those are mythical things some people talk about...

In any case "snow" is something that falls down in the Chicago area AFAIK
It's exactly opposite of "wild fires".
Old 09-18-2015, 10:05 PM
jinya1004

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chicago

I'm about an hour west of Chicago.

Just sold my 2007 G35x

Just bought a 2011 G37S LE. Its got the Potenzas on the 19's right now, however for the winter I will be putting Blizzaks on the stock 18's.

I also have a Jeep and Element if things get serious 6"s of snow or more.

I didn't even bother getting winter tires on my G35x since it did fine last winter with all seasons.

I've driven my M3 with snow tires and it was perfectly fine. Felt like I had more control than my G35x with all seasons.

If you are in Chicago or Surrounding suburbs, they salt and plow pretty regularly, so not much to worry about.

Other than a snowpacalypse, you should be fine 99% of the time.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
We get plenty of snow in Wisconsin. This will be the 20th winter of driving for me.

3 tips for you:

1. Get the best studless snow/ice tires you can (skip "performance" snow tires and all-season tires). I have had good luck with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70's and they now make a WS-80 that is supposed to be even better.

2. Go into a big empty parking lot when it snows and get used to how the car handles when it slides, stops, and accelerates. Basically try to find the limits of traction in the parking lot so that you can avoid exceeding them when you are on the street and control the car when it slides.

3. Understand that the snow and ice on the road may look the same, but will make the car handle differently everytime you drive. There may be ice under the snow you don't see. Everytime I drive on snow and ice, the first thing I do is step on the brakes at very low speed enough to get the car to barely slide so I can feel the condition of the road and how much traction I have. That way I know the limit of the car in the conditions so that I can avoid exceeding it.

Take my advice for what it's worth and know that I have never been in a single accident, but have avoided countless accidents in the winter.
The following users liked this post:
claudiohv (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 09:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,589 Likes on 3,434 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
skip "performance" snow tires
I'm going to second that advice.

This will be my last year on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's. They were marketed as Performance Snows, and disappoint in both areas.

My next set of snows will be Michelin X-Ice. To heck with "performance" snows... when you want to be safe, you need a dedicated snow tire.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:01 AM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
My next set of snows will be Michelin X-Ice.
Great choice. I ran the xi3's for the first time last winter and was extremely happy with them. The only time they failed me was when I tried to go up a steep hill covered in rough snow/ice, but that was just a poor decision on my part.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:28 AM
claudiohv

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to second that advice.

This will be my last year on a set of Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60's. They were marketed as Performance Snows, and disappoint in both areas.

My next set of snows will be Michelin X-Ice. To heck with "performance" snows... when you want to be safe, you need a dedicated snow tire.
I got those, heard great things about them. I just don't understand why people tell you they "literally" last for ever.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:07 PM
rk325
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys.

This may be slightly off topic, but what affordable car cover would you recommend for the winter. Something waterproof and durable. Thank you. The official covers are way too much and the universal brands dont have great reviews from what Ive read.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 PM
mayday813

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get four snow tires, you can go anywhere AWD vehciles can go assuming that the snow isn't too deep. And, you are a sensible driver.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Laguna

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, i just checked and maybe i'm seeing something wrong but.......... is the gas more expensive in Chicago than in California??? W T F????? (of course, premium for my baby). In California? where we make love to trees and have special super non-contaminant gas? Am I crazy here?

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada ==>
premium gas in North Cali (94949): $3.07
premium gas in Chicago area (60008): $3.49

W T F ???? anybody can explain?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:20 PM
salmonslayer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 12 S sedan, I am wanting to put snow tires on my duck feet rims. current tires are staggered sized, do I have to put the exact same size as stock or can I buy 4 snow tires all in the same size?
Old 10-13-2015, 12:40 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by salmonslayer
I have a 12 S sedan, I am wanting to put snow tires on my duck feet rims. current tires are staggered sized, do I have to put the exact same size as stock or can I buy 4 snow tires all in the same size?
With snows you want all 4 to be the same size, staggered is a summer only thing.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Laguna

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you guys know what's the smallest size i can get that it fits my g37s?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:42 PM
salmonslayer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My local tire chain store, Les Schwab, suggested these Hankook i-Pike W409 to me. Anyone have experience with these tires? I think they suggested it because they carry it and would have to order Blizzaks.

Quick Reply: What do you think? G37s in the snow?