Help - Cracked windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:00 AM
G10
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Help - Cracked windshield

Guys
I am looking for some advise on replacing my windshield. why you ask ?

Well, I am on I95 driving when a box spring flies off a roof of a van and then gets crushed by an 18 wheeler. Its send all the pieces everywhere. The car in front of me runs over a piece of it and sends the piece flying right onto my windshield my car. All this happens in a split second, a second little too late to react. With that said here I am look for some help.

My insurance company is recommending this 3rd party company safelite auto repair. I am concerned about this as I am not sure if they're going to use OEM replacement windshield. I wanted to know if anybody here had their windshield replaced and what has been their experience thereafter. I am really concerned about the quality of the glass and its durability of it .

I found out from my local dealer, they going to charge me upwards of 1300$. While safelite is around 400$. I know dealerships have know to over change but what a huge difference !!!. I've read up on safelite and their consumer reports complains off the charts. I've read up on other forum's and it just seem like not many people are happy with the quality either.

So guys, let know what your inputs are or experiences have been.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
For the most part, glass is glass. The dealership just marks it up a zillion percent. I've gotten 3 windshields from Safelite and no issues with them. However the same $400 windshield they sell you can be had for as little as $130 in some places. Shop around.m the installation is what matters, not the glass itself.
The following users liked this post:
G10 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
For the most part, glass is glass. The dealership just marks it up a zillion percent. I've gotten 3 windshields from Safelite and no issues with them. However the same $400 windshield they sell you can be had for as little as $130 in some places. Shop around.m the installation is what matters, not the glass itself.
This is true. Glass is glass. I want to add an exception, though. When it comes to any electronics associated with that glass, it may no longer be a similar comparison of quality. Antennas, rain sensors, heating/defrosting, etc. Quality of installation and peripherals are the distinguishing factors between glass companies.
G10 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 08:36 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
went with a local installer for cheaper for my other daily... it creaked at times
used safelite for another time and it disappeared..
G10 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Junchao Sun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I95, which Area you located in?
I live in NYC, I just cracked my windshield last month because the truck send the small stone on my windshield, it was only a chap but later on crack up. I did the same thing you had done, call dealer and ask Safelite. Finally my friend who own a bmw 355i had same thing happened on him recommend me to a local car repair shop major in changing windshield. totally spend only $190 for changing windshield, about 2 hours. I feel nothing different than the original one. I drive to Boston, Maine and DC in one month and meet storm, the windshield is good. So I think dealer and safelite will only suck your money because you have no idea to change your windshield. BTW, after change windshield do not forget to do inspection again, otherwise the police will give you a ticket because your old inspection is void. Hope it helps you.
G10 (09-15-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 11:42 AM
G10
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Thank you very much guys. Junchao why would i have to reinspect my car again, does the sticker come off from the old windshield and onto the new one, or does it become invalid.