G37 Sedan

Sedan Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:02 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I kinda dig that. Would be a nice match for my demon eye. Is that a DD led? I picked up a white replacement bulb from DD for my city lights and also a switchback for the turn signal. Wondering now if I should have gone for more of a splash.
It is a diode dynamics LED. I've been thinking abut the switchback bulb, also.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Thanks, guys. Very decent of you each to humor me on this snipe hunt. So from this I'm concluding the OEM cats on the G37 have no markings on them to identify them as OEM, except for the heatshield... which I can't see as being relevant. Heat shields on just about every car made end up getting ripped off long before the exhaust component gets replaced. Hmm. I feel better about this. Assuming I get inspected this March, just before the cats are installed, then I'll have a year of driving around with FI cats, and they'll probably look a little more worn in, easily passed off as OEM for an inspection, as long as the shop wasn't Nissan/Infiniti. I'm probably way over-thinking this crap, but that sounds about right, don't you think?

Just spray a little maroon paint to make them look rusty
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 AM
Robert_K
Registered Member

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
You mean long-tube headers to replace the OEM shorties and cats? I don't think anyone in this thread.

I still remember (with some humility) that one of the first things I learned on this site was that the G37 exhaust manifolds were actually headers. Didn't know that until after buying the car.
Well I keep getting conflicting stories if the Stillen's will work.

Also conflicting stories on the Koni struts.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Just spray a little maroon paint to make them look rusty
Not a bad idea but I also wouldn't want to spray something all over my cats.

John, I'm not sure how NY works, but can you get inspected earlier? My recommendation would be to get inspected the week before you are installing your FI equipment. That way they will break in and look worn (like you said) by the time you go to get inspected in 2015.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Not a bad idea but I also wouldn't want to spray something all over my cats.

John, I'm not sure how NY works, but can you get inspected earlier? My recommendation would be to get inspected the week before you are installing your FI equipment. That way they will break in and look worn (like you said) by the time you go to get inspected in 2015.
That's exactly the plan. The inspection is due in March, which dove-tails into the time when I swap out the snow tires for summers. That means end of march or early-April for installation of the cats, and then another whole year before the next inspection. Plenty of time to network the area for a casual shop who wouldn't look twice at aftermarket catalytic converters.

Can't wait to have those tires mounted, BTW. Michelin PSS on all four corners, baby! Swaybars and PSS on a 6MT G is just about the perfect car for me. Absolutely love the ride.

DOMO
Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 AM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by crazjayz
Erm, so I'm going to say this is an 07-09 sedan, and the light that is on next to the headlights is the fog light, NOT the city light. This is switched by the secondary switch on the turn signal stalk. Kind of hard to describe, but if the outside of the stalk rotates from off/parking/auto/on, the switch that controls the fog lights are on the inside of the stalk (closer to the steering column). The fog lights should only function when switch to the "on" position AND the headlights are turned on (not sure if they work with just the parking lights, never tested it).
Thanks! I found the switch this morning! Interesting to know that these are fog lights though. . . . .
Old 01-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
The headlight / fog light setups are very unique in the G coupes and sedans

Fog lights aren't usually built into the headlight assembly

Nick C.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:52 AM
kOrE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
The headlight / fog light setups are very unique in the G coupes and sedans

Fog lights aren't usually built into the headlight assembly

Nick C.
Yea, that is pretty weird IMO. I can see why they switched that up in the '10's.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
It caused me some confusion when I started here at DD. Especially because the IPL models typically have lower mounted fog lights.

Nick C.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:45 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

That's exactly the plan. The inspection is due in March, which dove-tails into the time when I swap out the snow tires for summers. That means end of march or early-April for installation of the cats, and then another whole year before the next inspection. Plenty of time to network the area for a casual shop who wouldn't look twice at aftermarket catalytic converters.

Can't wait to have those tires mounted, BTW. Michelin PSS on all four corners, baby! Swaybars and PSS on a 6MT G is just about the perfect car for me. Absolutely love the ride.

DOMO
Sounds like the best way to go about it. In all honesty, I don't think anyone would be able to second-guess aftermarket cats for OEM ones, once they get a bit dirty. Unless you're going to an Infiniti dealership or a shop that has many cars in and out (that may have seen a G37 exhaust setup before), I couldn't imagine it being an issue.

Also, I'm not sure if you get out to car shows in the area, but maybe you can find someone who works for a shop that can help look the other way while testing your vehicle.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I'm looking to order switchbacks for my headlights because the ones I ordered for VLEDs they aren't carrying. I was under the assumption I ordered the new style switchbacks they were making but some dumb dumb on the phone wasn't that helpful to realize it.

Looking for some recommendations from you all for switchbacks on a 2010 G37 sedan. I've seen a few threads and posts and really haven't been persuaded on anything in particular.

EDIT:

Has anyone used any of these bulbs as options for switchbacks?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/7443-7444-H...443_sku316.htm
or
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Switchback-...7443_sku38.htm
or
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/7441-7443-7...s-p/sku373.htm

Last edited by connoisseurr; 01-09-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:30 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
I believe there is no such thing to figure out for you , since the city light thing was on 2007-09 at least the given sedan headlight posted by kOrE is 2007-2009 and 2010+ don't have those, but correct me if I'm wrong, but thought you got a 2010+
Nope.... No city lights on my sedan.... Played a bit with it this AM and then came to the conclusion that I'm city lightless.

Thanks for the help anyway. My sedan was manufactured in November of '09 and was sold to the first owner in Tampa, FL June 2010. So, It's a 2010, no?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,608 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
Thanks for the help anyway. My sedan was manufactured in November of '09 and was sold to the first owner in Tampa, FL June 2010. So, It's a 2010, no?
2010+ models are immediately obvious with the bumpers, headlights and front grille.

Your car:

Last edited by Rochester; 01-09-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Again.... No city lights on my ride. I haven't studied the different models enough to know the difference although logically I know they are there. Now, ask me about my other vehicles and I could recite tons of info about them.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Thanks, guys. Very decent of you each to humor me on this snipe hunt.

So from this I'm concluding the OEM cats on the G37 have no markings on them to identify them as OEM, except for the heatshield... which I can't see as being relevant. Heat shields on just about every car made end up getting ripped off long before the exhaust component gets replaced.

Hmm. I feel better about this. Assuming I get inspected this March, just before the cats are installed, then I'll have a year of driving around with FI cats, and they'll probably look a little more worn in, easily passed off as OEM for an inspection, as long as the shop wasn't Nissan/Infiniti.

I'm probably way over-thinking this crap, but that sounds about right, don't you think?
I've never gone through a NYS inspection so it's a little hard to say. In PA, NJ, and here in TN it isn't an issue as long as you pass emissions. I don't think you'd have issue if you drive on them for a year. Just don't keep them at a. High polish maybe?

Quick Reply: Sedan Chat Thread