Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q50 Eau Rouge

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
It is tough to speculate on where this car will slot with the points that were brought up. The likely ≈ 70k price point makes it a bad contender to be harboring a GT-R drive train. It seems unlikely to be a halo car for Infiniti at that price point. It seems more plausible that it will be an M3/M4 fighter.

But GT-R parts.. well, one can dream right?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I think it will be more than a simple 3.7L engine. If you look at the official site, the particles form a much larger engine, it doesn't look like a 3.7. I have been reading some reports that its a GTR variant with a hybrid system. Infiniti has been talking about that platform for a long time, especially when you consider the F1 partnership they wouldnt just put a 3.7L NA that's been used for the last 10 years.
The only thing that might be a big downer is the fact that they are putting it into a sedan.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Mike@Vossen
SUPPORT AUTHENTICITY!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Waiting for engine specs! Even dumping the 5.6 V-8 inside would be nice.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Sorry, for $90K I would not be buying a Q50. Just like the $50K loaded priced for a Q50 opens up a whole other list of options, $90K opens up an even bigger list. And on that list are proven performers, not a new platform that doesnt seem to be as "sporty" as the platform it replaced.

And wouldnt it be funny if the new drivetrain they bring is a result of their co-op with Mercedes? What if they use the exact same engine thats in the CLA45? its almost a 30HP bump, and presumably better mpg since its a 4 banger. Everyone angry that they re-used the 3.7L should be happy, right?

Im as big an Infiniti fan as a lot of people on this forum, but it feels like they are trying to "play with the big boys" while bringing a Q50 to a gun fight.
Well, at $90k loaded you're looking at either at a fully loaded C36 or a base E63. If the Q50ER has the powertrain from the GTR, at $90k it would be a bargain. The Q50 is already larger than the C, much closer to the E's body, and if you were to compared to an E, it would be ~$20k cheaper.

What would really REALLY be awesome, is if they went ***** to the wall with this and used TWO CLA45 engines. 4.0L V8 quad-turbo with 700 hp. Would be very very awesome as a technical showcase. Even more nuts would be if they developed a shortened W8TT. Only 1 car has had the W8 configuration, and it was a VW. I still believe the W configuration is technically superior to traditional V's. shorter case means that it can be places further into the car, making the center of gravity closer to the middle, which would definitely aid in handling.

Originally Posted by twin_snails
It is tough to speculate on where this car will slot with the points that were brought up. The likely ≈ 70k price point makes it a bad contender to be harboring a GT-R drive train. It seems unlikely to be a halo car for Infiniti at that price point. It seems more plausible that it will be an M3/M4 fighter.

But GT-R parts.. well, one can dream right?
I agree. At $70k it goes back to what I previously said where they're going to slightly bump up the numbers from a Q50 Hybrid (my guess was 380hp/380tq at the wheels, so something around 450 at the crank) via new intake/exhaust and possibly more aggressive hybrid technology. The GTR powertrain is quite cost prohibitive; $30k for the engine alone. That's why I'm saying if it they drop it in, it'll be a $90k car. I mean, it's not like the GTR is the pinnacle of luxury here and it already costs $100k. It would be nice to hear a new engine from Nissan/Infiniti, but the fact that there are no rumors or spy pics of an engine being extensively tested, like a completely new design would be.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:31 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
If indeed it has a price tag of $70K-$90K then the market will be small. Most who can afford a vehicle that costly would more then likely opt for an AMG or M series. Infiniti has a great ratio between performance and cost. (primary reason I purchased one) To move farther away from that market would likely hurt sales. IMO..... It sure is a sharp looking car from these teasers though.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 303 Likes on 238 Posts
Another thing about crossing markets is, IMO, most out there with $70K+ to spend on a car won't even consider (or at least not very seriously consider) a Japanese marque (a "badged up" Nissan). I've heard from more than a few guys with nice car collections that regardless of performance, they wouldn't drive a GTR due to the emblem on the back.

A big part about these high expense auto purchases is the prestige and status that accompany them (not to mention brand loyalty, especially with ///M and AMG models), and I don't think Infinti really has much clout in this regard unless they produce something truly exceptional (track record is not indicative of this, but you never know)

Personally an intriguing move would be development of a lower displacement V6 (~3.0) with FI, alongside the suspension and brake upgrades (throw an MT in there) and keep it well south of $60K (mind you I think the Q50S Hybrid is grossly overpriced at close to $50K without options)
Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Another point in favor of this going to a hybrid setup is the CO2 emissions levels that are set to kick in starting in 2015 at 130 grams per kilometer, and down to 95 grams in 2020. As of 2011 figures, the VR38DETT emits 279 grams of CO2 per kilometer. Given that Infiniti is wanting to vastly expand into Europe, the case weakens for the VR38, much to our disappointment if they're going to be able to maintain a fleet average of 130 grams or better.

Maybe a VR30DETT with a hybrid setup. The GT-R would probably have to follow suit. The best thing so far to support something with serious grunt under the hood is those brakes. Guess we'll know more in about a week.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Does Infinity have to keep up the fleet average, or Nissan as a whole?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Personally an intriguing move would be development of a lower displacement V6 (~3.0) with FI, alongside the suspension and brake upgrades (throw an MT in there) and keep it well south of $60K (mind you I think the Q50S Hybrid is grossly overpriced at close to $50K without options)
This would be an awesome idea, but the issue is still the price. Fully loaded Q50S is $52k. I don't know how they will have a high performance edition that's "well south of $60". And this is where I have a problem with the Q50ER. If is ~$60k, I would think it would be an "IPL" car (exhaust, wheels, brakes, body kit). Engine power would be up ~10%. MAAAAYBE with a 6MT, but I doubt that. If they push it to $70k, then you start talking full blown new engine with performance comparable to a C63, M4, etc. But at $70k it's not quite a "bargain" anymore.

Originally Posted by twin_snails
Another point in favor of this going to a hybrid setup is the CO2 emissions levels that are set to kick in starting in 2015 at 130 grams per kilometer, and down to 95 grams in 2020. As of 2011 figures, the VR38DETT emits 279 grams of CO2 per kilometer. Given that Infiniti is wanting to vastly expand into Europe, the case weakens for the VR38, much to our disappointment if they're going to be able to maintain a fleet average of 130 grams or better.

Maybe a VR30DETT with a hybrid setup. The GT-R would probably have to follow suit. The best thing so far to support something with serious grunt under the hood is those brakes. Guess we'll know more in about a week.
Well, Nissan has pretty much already stated that the R36 GTR will be a performance hybrid variant. I wouldn't be surprised if they tested this on the Q50ER, seeing how Infiniti is the arm tied with RBR. Once again, I may be super optimistic, but I'm guessing the Q50ER is a detuned GTR powertrain + hybrid tech. Next year the Q60ER may make an appearance as the true coupe replacement for the G coupe, with the same powertrain as the Q50ER. And 2016/17 we will see the R36 GTR. By this time, I would think that Nissan will have perfected their hybrid integration for the next GTR, using the Q50/60ER as the production test subjects for the performance hybrid system. Once again, I'm guessing the R36 GTR will probably be throwing down something around 700hp (ICE + electric), while being quite a bit lighter (hopefully, less than 3600 lbs). That's my guess from what's been milling around.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Originally Posted by gsm026
Does Infinity have to keep up the fleet average, or Nissan as a whole?
Not sure on that. I would think that Infiniti would be broken out separately from Nissan on emissions regulations.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 303 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by crazjayz
I don't know how they will have a high performance edition that's "well south of $60".
Neither do I, which makes me think this endeavor has limited potential. Either Nissan continues on its path like you said, or it releases something with a tiny market. I think it's clear what the accountants at Nissan would prefer, but ya never know
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

A Q50S AWD Hybrid is clocking in at $56k loaded already so I don't see any room for this car. Crazjayz you make a lot of excellent points and I'm thinking $70k minimum is what we can expect for this car.

With the R36 going to a hybrid setup, perhaps Nissan is looking to split development costs. To play devil's advocate, from what I've seen on the NATGROC forums, the R36 development does not appear to be that far along.

Given that the 2015 GT-R and Nismo editions have received revised headlights and tail lights, it's possible they will stick around another two to three years. Fascia changes are not typically utilized for a single model year-- The notable exception in recent memory being the M35 and M45 front fascia changes for the 2010 model year.

Another possible option is keeping the existing VQ35VHR + Hybrid and throwing a pair of snails on it. The development costs wouldn't be too bad and they could keep it in the $65-70k price point. They would probably need to beef up the bottom end of the engine slightly, although that would not be necessarily essential as the VQ blocks can handle 500 horsepower relatively easily. The performance would far exceed the M3/M4, C63 so they would still have a value proposition at that price point.

De Nysschen mentioned a 550 hp car over the summer which could still be positioned above this car as an M/Q70 high performance version.

Ok, all the speculation is starting to drive me nuts! LOL. It's a love/hate relationship for me right now that rides a narrow line of being fun and insane at the same time because I'm just a lowly enthusiast. At this point, there are several ways it could go.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The Eau Rouge could have a blown 3.7 or 3.5(hybrid?) or maybe a detuned version of the GTR engine. Most likely though will be an all new 3.0 liter twin turbo V6 that DeNysschen hinted at in one of his earlier interviews where he was defending the whole name change thing. This engine will also show up in the Q60 coupe as well as the (Q70) M replacement, so it needs to be smaller and lighter while matching or exceeding the M56's V8 (420hp & 417lb-ft.), and offer more torque while getting noticeably better fuel economy. It should be comparable in power and specs to the M3 for a bit less money.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTV
The Eau Rouge could have a blown 3.7 or 3.5(hybrid?) or maybe a detuned version of the GTR engine. Most likely though will be an all new 3.0 liter twin turbo V6 that DeNysschen hinted at in one of his earlier interviews where he was defending the whole name change thing. This engine will also show up in the Q60 coupe as well as the (Q70) M replacement, so it needs to be smaller and lighter while matching or exceeding the M56's V8 (420hp & 417lb-ft.), and offer more torque while getting noticeably better fuel economy. It should be comparable in power and specs to the M3 for a bit less money.
3 liter twin turbo V6? Is that from the 300ZX of old?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
3 liter twin turbo V6? Is that from the 300ZX of old?
The engine he is talking about is called the VQ30VDT

It has VVEL, Direct Injection, and Turbos
The following users liked this post:
SlimTV (01-08-2014)

Quick Reply: Q50 Eau Rouge