G37 Sedan

Washing and More?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:29 AM
TheNewGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Washing and More?

How do you guys wash your black g37 sedan?
And after that what do you guys usually do?
Thanks.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Drive Clean
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 25 Posts
Check out the "B4 and After" section on the forum. Lots of people post the procedures and products used on their cars.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/b4-n-afta-336/
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Invest in a random orbit buffer such as a PorterCable or Griots garage buffer, you'll need one to keep the scratches & swirls at bay, plus it makes waxing a breeze.
And be sure to check that link Drive Clean posted
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
WannabeSport

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
2 Bucket Wash System. This is a DIY I made.
The following 2 users liked this post by WannabeSport:
STownSaint (12-04-2013), TheNewGuy (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 01:19 PM
TheNewGuy

Would it be wiser to use hot water? Cuz I don't wanna freeze my hands... and aren't you suppose to rinse the car everytime you are done soaping it with each layer? Suppose to how you just soap the whole car and rinse the whole car in the end.
But yeah, thanks, def gonna wash my car this week.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
Would it be wiser to use hot water? Cuz I don't wanna freeze my hands... and aren't you suppose to rinse the car everytime you are done soaping it with each layer? Suppose to how you just soap the whole car and rinse the whole car in the end.
But yeah, thanks, def gonna wash my car this week.
It depends what the weather is like. If you're concerned that the water will evaporate before you finish the entire car, you should definitely wash and dry one panel at a time. However, as he mentioned in the video, it was humid there, and there's not a big worry about leaving water/soap spots. Hot water won't hurt, within reason.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM
WannabeSport

Wash in the shade or during the evenings if you have a problem with evaporation. Otherwise check out ONR waterless wash system. I use that in the winter when I am detailing a car in the heated garage.

During the winter time (a big problem for most) i go to the DIY wash bays, use the pressure washer to fill my buckets, hose down the car, then wash as usual. Then use another round of water to rinse, dry and voila. Clean and swirl free.
The following users liked this post:
STownSaint (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I never understood this 2 bucket system. There is dirt and grime stuck in your wash mitt that is not coming out by sticking it in a different bucket and the dirt that doesn't come out is the stuff that damages your finish. And the rinse bucket gets dirty pretty fast so your washing a section and then sticking it in dirty water and then sticking it in the supposedly clean water. You might as well just use the same bucket.

The best way is to rinse off your mitt with your hose after every section washed so typically you are probably rinsing if off 5 or 6 times when doing the entire car because that high pressure is getting the dirt off your mitt. I guess it's not politically correct that way because it wastes water but for a few extra pennies on your water bill, it's worth it.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 306 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
I never understood this 2 bucket system. There is dirt and grime stuck in your wash mitt that is not coming out by sticking it in a different bucket and the dirt that doesn't come out is the stuff that damages your finish. And the rinse bucket gets dirty pretty fast so your washing a section and then sticking it in dirty water and then sticking it in the supposedly clean water. You might as well just use the same bucket.

The best way is to rinse off your mitt with your hose after every section washed so typically you are probably rinsing if off 5 or 6 times when doing the entire car because that high pressure is getting the dirt off your mitt. I guess it's not politically correct that way because it wastes water but for a few extra pennies on your water bill, it's worth it.
I respectfully disagree, I'll admit there's no method to ensure 100% of the grime will leave the mitt, but if you thoroughly rinse the mitt in clean water AND make full use of the Grit Guards (seems like you don't know what these are, but 2 bucket method is useless without them) then you can remove A LOT of contaminants.

Simply blasting the mitt with a hose might work OK but could also further embed into the mitt, not as effective as submerging in water IMO

I also use ONR (pressure wash car first if really dirty), love the stuff
The following users liked this post:
WannabeSport (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
WannabeSport

^What he said. If you actually use the two bucket wash system properly, you will notice that your clean soap bucket actually stays clean, whereas the dirty water bucket collects the junk.

I'v been washing my cars like this for 3 years. The paint finishes look immaculate.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:36 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
mist car, pre-soak, rinse, then actual wash then rinse and clay then rewash works for me.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:55 AM
TheNewGuy

About the ONR, he washed he with a clean car. What if you use it on a slightly dirty car? wouldn't u get particles in the mit and have to rinse it off somehow?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
SphyNxXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ONR is an awesome product if your car isn't completely filthy. I used it on my old black Hyundai Genesis Coupe with no scratching issues. Your wash mitt will be filthy and even hard to clean but it makes washing your car at night or when it's cold a breeze. Simply wash your car with ONR in your garage!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:04 PM
WannabeSport

If the car is filthy, I usually go to a DIY wash bay and hose a majority of the junk off.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:33 PM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use ONR almost exclusively. A couple times a year or after winter I'll use a hose or drive through a touchless to rinse the underbody.

If it's very dirty or salty I use a pressurized weed sprayer with ONR mixed at QD strength as a pre-soak.

Quick Reply: Washing and More?