G37 Sedan

Nuances I can't seem to get over....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 03:29 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow this is a big discussion about auto light sensitivity and switch labels, lol. I leave mine on auto, don't care if they turn on and off under bridges or in the parking deck at work and could not care less how long they stay on after I lock and leave the car. I think its probably good that they turn on in the parking deck now that I think about it.

I may change the light off delay to something shorter though, so I guess I lied about the care less part, lol.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
I have my delay on 45 seconds because I live in an apartment and the walkway from my car to my door isn't very well lit so it helps light up the walkway for me. If I lived in a house with a garage I could see why people wouldn't want to use it because there wouldn't be much of a point to it.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
Yeah I have mine set like that too..the headlights turn off when the last door is closed...Just set to no delay.
hmm interesting, never knew there is the option of having them turn off when the last door is closed... hmm where do I go again in settings to play around with that? haven't been messing around with the dash settings a lot lately
Old 11-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
I'm not talking about the pretentiousness of the Auto delay...I'll try to explain it since I'm a person that doesn't like using the auto function either (b/c I don't like them always turning on going short tunnels, my parking garage, etc.) I've even set the sensitivity to low.

"So, turn them on when you need them, and turn them off when you don't." That's what I'm talking about. I do turn them on and off myself..Auto just gets in the way..So I've been using Auto b/c of the this reason.. Let's say it's dark out...so you go turn the headlights to On, not Auto (b/c I don't like using Auto). So in order to get to twist the switch to On it must passes thru Auto..so the headlights always flicker on when they pass the Auto setting...then off again in Parking Lights..then back to on again in On. Then when you turn them off, the headlights turn off in Parking Lights then flicker back on briefly when it passes thru the Auto mode...so being a person that doesn't like to use Auto..I feel the times the headlights "flicker on" as you pass thru the Auto mode to go to the On mode isn't good for the bulbs...and also a nuance..Am I insane?
I see what you are talking about there... gotta tell you from my experience at least the newer cars I have driven in the past with the Auto feature, most of them at least that I remember would usually have these set like this:
Off > Parking lights > Auto > On OR Off > Parking lights > On > Auto... yeah that might be a bit annoying but to me it's not really an issue
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 PM
JPSBLACKG37

Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts
Waste of bandwidth.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 PM
bjmsam
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I am struggling to get comfortable with the switch positions as well. My daily commute includes a stretch of road that requires headlights to be on (even during the day) and a checkpoint that requires headlights to be off (parking lights only when dark), which requires overriding the Auto setting. I find myself needing to check the position of the switch which is difficult to see behind the steering wheel. The sequence in my 2009 Rav4 (Off - Parking - On - Auto) seems more intuitive, or perhaps I'm just more used to it...

As for the paddle shifters, I use them all the time to downshift just two or three gears (rather than four or five if the AT is left to its own devices!) when I mash the throttle to pass on the highway, or when preparing to accelerate through a turn, or to engine brake down a hill. It's hard to anticipate the revs with so many gears! I do like that the paddles are at fixed positions since the steering ratio is not like a race car where the driver's hands never leave the wheel...

Last edited by bjmsam; 11-17-2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-16-2013, 11:19 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not talking about the pretentiousness of the Auto delay...I'll try to explain it since I'm a person that doesn't like using the auto function either (b/c I don't like them always turning on going short tunnels, my parking garage, etc.) I've even set the sensitivity to low.

"So, turn them on when you need them, and turn them off when you don't." That's what I'm talking about. I do turn them on and off myself..Auto just gets in the way..So I've been using Auto b/c of the this reason.. Let's say it's dark out...so you go turn the headlights to On, not Auto (b/c I don't like using Auto). So in order to get to twist the switch to On it must passes thru Auto..so the headlights always flicker on when they pass the Auto setting...then off again in Parking Lights..then back to on again in On. Then when you turn them off, the headlights turn off in Parking Lights then flicker back on briefly when it passes thru the Auto mode...so being a person that doesn't like to use Auto..I feel the times the headlights "flicker on" as you pass thru the Auto mode to go to the On mode isn't good for the bulbs...and also a nuance..Am I insane?
I know exactly what you are saying, the design of the auto annoys me also. When I think I might need the headlights I turn the stalk to parking lights before I start the engine. Then when the engine is running I can turn the headlights on, or not. After shutting the engine I turn the stalk.

If it's dark out when I use the car, I just use the auto mode. It's become second nature at this point.

If needed, I turn to auto and just move on.

On the Acuras the headlights turn on when the remote is used. I guess in the long run it doesn't matter, but as I say...to each their own.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the waste of bandwidth. Auto manufactures can't win! LOL.

I leave mine on Auto. If you think about it, the placement of the switches does make sense.

OFF - AUTO - PARKING - ON.

If you think auto headlights are pretentious/etc. then having them in the off position at night means turning them to auto turns them on. Turn them to off and they're off.

If you lave them in AUTO and its daytime....AUTO = OFF. So if you want your headlights on in the day time you're essentially going OFF - PARKING - ON.

I don't think Nissan/Infiniti could design a better switch that understands the needs of 1,000,000 different minds!

Mike S.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-17-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, but you're still functional in that your OCD doesn't really do anything except lead you to create threads like this in order to vent. What you need to do is create an alternate activity to focus on during this event, in order to transfer the OCD behavior on to something more manageable. Try counting down from 3-2-1 every time you turn on the headlights. In that way, the repeatitive behavior is shifted into the routine rather than focusing on the activity.

Or I suppose you could pick your nose, too. Although in as far as behavioral conditioning goes, I wouldn't recommend that.

No, not really.
It's been found that everyone is OCD in one way/degree or another....It's called "preferences" or "detailed" or "analytical." Maybe it's why I'm an analytical chemist. These are just simple nuances that bug me....I'm not gonna go out and disassemble my whole wiring system to fix it...Not crazy. Just particular...
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 PM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by JPSBLACKG37
Waste of bandwidth.
Quit breathing. You're wasting my air. Oh wait..like bandwidth there's plenty to go around...60% of the posts on this forum is a waste of bandwidth...
Old 11-28-2013, 11:09 PM
NeverEnough007

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I leave my lights on auto but despise that fact that I can not set my lights to come on when I use the remote. It also lights paths for me, lets me know if any wild animals are around, or just makes throwing the trash in the barrel easy.

I also do not like that the door locks can not be programmed to lock under certain rules.

My 04 Tahoe let me select these things, it shouldn't be missing from a brand that touts it's tech.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:37 PM
SmokyQ_xS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the positions on the headlight switch were not well thought out. As I think someone posted in another thread, they should be Auto-Off-Parking-On. That way when they are set to Off you can choose to either set them to Auto, or go the other way and turn them on manually. I generally just leave mine set to Auto.

I don't understand how lights staying on after the car is turned off could be seen as "pretentious".

I don't use the paddles very often myself, but I would think that if you were going to use them on a track that the fact they are mounted to the column would be better than having them mounted to the wheel. That way no matter how much the wheel is turned the paddles are always in the same spot so you don't really need to think about where they are and risk accidentally grabbing the wrong one.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Mad Oregonian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokyQ_xS
I agree that the positions on the headlight switch were not well thought out. As I think someone posted in another thread, they should be Auto-Off-Parking-On. That way when they are set to Off you can choose to either set them to Auto, or go the other way and turn them on manually. I generally just leave mine set to Auto.

I don't understand how lights staying on after the car is turned off could be seen as "pretentious".

I don't use the paddles very often myself, but I would think that if you were going to use them on a track that the fact they are mounted to the column would be better than having them mounted to the wheel. That way no matter how much the wheel is turned the paddles are always in the same spot so you don't really need to think about where they are and risk accidentally grabbing the wrong one.
Same here, I do have my lights set to go out when all the doors close but I have set it higher when I visit my parents and have to walk up a poorly lit walkway to the front door. As far as the paddles go if one feels that having them on the column instead of the wheel is bad for performance it should be noted that nobody told Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. All of their paddles are mounted to the column so that left is always down and right is always up, I'm guessing they know something Lexus doesn't when it comes to performance.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:04 PM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by Mad Oregonian
As far as the paddles go if one feels that having them on the column instead of the wheel is bad for performance it should be noted that nobody told Ferrari, Lamborghini etc. All of their paddles are mounted to the column so that left is always down and right is always up, I'm guessing they know something Lexus doesn't when it comes to performance.
Ummmmmm...you are wrong...not ALL "Ferrari, Lamborghini etc." have their paddles on the column....facts people FACTS before you make a statement like that! Porsche has steering wheel mounted paddles. Will I say all Porsches? Nope...But the ones I've driven have...I also can say for a FACT that most (again, the ones I've driven and seen), if not all, rally cars have them on the steering wheel...and rally cars are ALL about handling. Lamborghini? Not-so-much on the handing.... Oh but the Audi brethren of the Lamborghini that IS known for it's handling, the R8, guess where the shifting paddles are? Yup...the steering wheel. Hmmmm.....

OK let me clarify...IMO cars that are made to turn should have the paddles at the fingertips....That said, not all Ferraris are made to handle...

Also, again IMO, another thing that's backwards is the manumatic shifting of the shifter...pull back should be upshift...push forward should be downshift...Another thing I got from rally cars....It just makes sense. And this is for both straight line brutes and canyon carvers.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:33 PM
SmokyQ_xS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...That said, not all Ferraris are made to handle...
Which ones aren't?

Also, again IMO, another thing that's backwards is the manumatic shifting of the shifter...pull back should be upshift...push forward should be downshift...Another thing I got from rally cars....It just makes sense. And this is for both straight line brutes and canyon carvers.
Agree with you on this point. Mazda is one of the few manufacturers that gets it right (my '05 Mazda 6 wagon was setup this way).

Quick Reply: Nuances I can't seem to get over....