Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nuances I can't seem to get over....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:22 AM
10Gee37exeS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nuances I can't seem to get over....

Ok I've had my G for a few months now...but there are a few things I can't get used to. OK I've gotten over the fixed paddle shifters on the steerign column thing I had...I just don't use them anymore. They just look sporty now. The first thing is the Auto light switch position. I always end up turning the headlights On then Off then Parking then Auto, I'll do this several times b/c I'm so confused sometimes....Currently it's Off>Auto>Parking>On....Shoudln't the switch be Off > Parking > On > Auto or Off > Parking > Auto > On. Somethihg where Auto and On are next to each other? The other thing is the alarm arming/disarm beeping noise...Ever since I've had my lisence the alarm, be it my Viper or stock car alarm..it's always been 2 beeps for unlock and 1 beep for lock. I've always equated it to the syllables i.e. "beep beep" = un-lock; "beep" = lock Now I still have to press the button at least a couple of times then pull on the handle to make sure the doors are locked. Or I have to actively think "opposite beeps." Can I reverse this somehow before I go crazy..or forget and revert back and leave my doors unlocked...Holy ****...I write freakin' novellas!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM
DONTTASEMEBRO

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
and i thought you were going to rag on the mechanical bits of the car rather than light stalks and alarm sounds.....
Old 11-15-2013, 01:04 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I too purchased the S model, expecting to use the paddle shifters. I rarely use them. No matter b/c I still prefer the extra S bits- especially the seats. The S package is worth it in the seats alone!

The other issues are personal preference and don't bother me at all. I'm not a fan of the cupholders b/c they don't effectively hold my preferred cups. It's not a major or even a minor issue. It's just personal preference of mine.

Last edited by KEG97; 11-15-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:08 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Life is too short to stress over small things...
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-16-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 PM
botlfed98
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
if those are the only nuisances you have encountered i'd say you are doing pretty good
Old 11-15-2013, 02:47 PM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by botlfed98
if those are the only nuisances you have encountered i'd say you are doing pretty good
Nah these are the nuances that...I can't explain...like forgetting to where your watch and looking at your naked wrist every time you wanna see the time...you know what I mean? I can go on and on about the transmission (but that's like beating a dead horse and I just accepted it)..But the transmission is probably THE ONE reason that I'm on the borderline of selling her...Which I think I might do if a nice IS-F comes around....All the other little nuances just add to it. It's like dating a girl for years...all her little nuances that were cute at first start bothering the heck outta ya...
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (11-16-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Why don't you just leave the lights on auto?

Do you have the keyless entry buttons on the door? Press to lock when you walk away. Press to unlock when you walk up to the car.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,427 Posts
OP, flappy paddles on an average, everyday car... nuf said.

Your headlights, though... not sure why that's an issue. Personally, I never use the auto feature. There's something pretentious about people get out of their car with their lights still on, then having them turn off on their own 10 seconds later. If it were me, I'd end up standing there like an idiot waiting for them to turn off, just to be sure.

So, turn them on when you need them, and turn them off when you don't. Problem solved.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Your headlights, though... not sure why that's an issue. Personally, I never use the auto feature. There's something pretentious about people get out of their car with their lights still on, then having them turn off on their own 10 seconds later. If it were me, I'd end up standing there like an idiot waiting for them to turn off, just to be sure.

So, turn them on when you need them, and turn them off when you don't. Problem solved.
You can set the time it waits before they turn off, but agree about the pretentiousness of a long delay, that's why mine turn off the instant I shut the door.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
You can set the time it waits before they turn off.
I didn't know that. Cool.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:06 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by blnewt
You can set the time it waits before they turn off, but agree about the pretentiousness of a long delay, that's why mine turn off the instant I shut the door.
Yeah I have mine set like that too..the headlights turn off when the last door is closed...Just set to no delay.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:25 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by Rochester

I'm not talking about the pretentiousness of the Auto delay...I'll try to explain it since I'm a person that doesn't like using the auto function either (b/c I don't like them always turning on going short tunnels, my parking garage, etc.) I've even set the sensitivity to low.

"So, turn them on when you need them, and turn them off when you don't." That's what I'm talking about. I do turn them on and off myself..Auto just gets in the way..So I've been using Auto b/c of the this reason.. Let's say it's dark out...so you go turn the headlights to On, not Auto (b/c I don't like using Auto). So in order to get to twist the switch to On it must passes thru Auto..so the headlights always flicker on when they pass the Auto setting...then off again in Parking Lights..then back to on again in On. Then when you turn them off, the headlights turn off in Parking Lights then flicker back on briefly when it passes thru the Auto mode...so being a person that doesn't like to use Auto..I feel the times the headlights "flicker on" as you pass thru the Auto mode to go to the On mode isn't good for the bulbs...and also a nuance..Am I insane?

Last edited by 10Gee37exeS; 11-16-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 AM
10Gee37exeS

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Why don't you just leave the lights on auto?

Do you have the keyless entry buttons on the door? Press to lock when you walk away. Press to unlock when you walk up to the car.
Don't like the auto mode....b/c the headlights turn on way too much..Plus I'm a control freak and the lights only turn on when I WANT THEM TO!

Yes I do use the buttons on the door (key fob rarely leaves my pocket), but what I'm saying it's a sound thing..like Pavlov's dog...eventho I press the button when I leave to lock the door..the "beep beep" makes me think "un-lock." I've been "trained" 20 years to know 1 "beep" means 1-syllable "lock" and 2 "beep beep" means 2-syllable "un-lock."

Doesn't anyone FEEL MY PAIN?!?!?!
Old 11-16-2013, 04:01 AM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 10Gee37exeS
Don't like the auto mode....b/c the headlights turn on way too much..Plus I'm a control freak and the lights only turn on when I WANT THEM TO!

LOL - yeah, I feel your pain re: the light switch. I don't leave it in auto because they turn on every time I put the car in the garage. I admit - the ordering they chose seems odd to me. Not that I lose sleep over it....but I have noticed it..
Old 11-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Am I insane?
Yes, but you're still functional in that your OCD doesn't really do anything except lead you to create threads like this in order to vent. What you need to do is create an alternate activity to focus on during this event, in order to transfer the OCD behavior on to something more manageable. Try counting down from 3-2-1 every time you turn on the headlights. In that way, the repeatitive behavior is shifted into the routine rather than focusing on the activity.

Or I suppose you could pick your nose, too. Although in as far as behavioral conditioning goes, I wouldn't recommend that.

No, not really.

Quick Reply: Nuances I can't seem to get over....