Sponsored by:

What's next for Newt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
What's next for Newt?

I've been pretty active here these last few years, but no one in the Sedan forum is as constant, helpful or contributes as much here as blnewt. And seemingly always with a kind word, almost to a fault. Sometimes, I think Brad farts rainbows.

There's been more than a few mods to his 2009 G37, RWD Journey. Lots of DIY work, and even a full-on accident repair. It's a nice, personalized collection of reasonable modifications, on a beautiful, respectable car. I think that's why I feel somewhat sympathetic to his values, because most of the time it's mods made with practical decisions.

Blah blah blah

Anyway, I got to thinking today: what next for Newt? For the car, that is. I suppose I could have PM'd him, but an open forum is more fun.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (11-02-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 07:45 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
He's kind of the tire and wheel fitment god. Instead of doing the Internet equivalent of punching someone in the face for asking "I know I didn't search, but will this fit?", he just answers them.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoFightNguyen:
blnewt (11-02-2013), sharphawk (05-25-2016)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester;
.....no one in the Sedan forum is as constant, helpful or contributes as much here as blnewt.
Amen to that !!
The following 2 users liked this post by Gio37:
blnewt (11-02-2013), claudiohv (09-06-2015)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Bota36

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Great thread Rochester. I must say Brad is such a good guy and he's helped me on several occasions.

As for his next mod, I say he's gonna do a full carbon fiber wrap. What do you say Brad?
blnewt (11-02-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hey, John, I'm humbled by your kind words and must say your contributions along w/ GoFightNguyen & Gio37 are also consistently helpful. It's great that Anthony and Gio go out of their way to welcome the newbies too!

Although John (Rochester) can be a bit harsh at times he speaks from the heart. I must say although I may not always agree w/ some of his critiques, he clearly spells out why he's not digging a particular look or mod and I know my car has benefited from his constructive criticism.

He's also made me think a bit deeper when I'm contemplating a particular addition to my G as I'm now looking at a bigger picture rather than being "tunnel blind" just because the mod is a must-have.

As far as future stuff, I'm really in a holding pattern right now, pretty happy w/ the exterior as is. The exception is the carbon wrap grill I mucked up w/ some excess alcohol that I used for my Epic-Fail clear bra DIY The grill is now a blotchy faded carbon that's not working. I'm going to wrap it gloss black this time and see how the little carbon/gray emblem looks w/ that. If it's not the look I'm hoping for I'll re-wrap the carbon grill again.

Another thing in the wings is wrapping my interior washi panels & stereo, console area w/ a machined vinyl trim, not sure what color yet but probably a dark gray. I've got a few samples to mull through but I think it'll look pretty nice, especially all the trim that's currently black plastic.

Might look into a roof spoiler but still on the fence as to whether I really like the look or not.

Thanks again for the thread, hopefully I can come up w/ a few things in the near future, and of course I'd LOVE to add a BBK sometime.
Now I'm off to fart a couple rainbows

Last edited by blnewt; 11-01-2013 at 10:06 PM.
sharphawk (05-25-2016)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Bota36
Great thread Rochester. I must say Brad is such a good guy and he's helped me on several occasions.

As for his next mod, I say he's gonna do a full carbon fiber wrap. What do you say Brad?
Thanks Bota, we've had some good mod discussions that I'm sure we both learned from

As far as the CF wrap, lol but actually I may be up for a vehicle wrap in a year or two, it's something I've wanted to try so stay tuned.......
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
As far as future stuff, I'm really in a holding pattern right now...
I was thinking that's where you are, hence the poke.

However, you don't have winter as a convenient excuse, like I do, so...

The exception is the carbon wrap grill I mucked up w/ some excess alcohol that I used for my Epic-Fail clear bra DIY The grill is now a blotchy faded carbon that's not working. I'm going to wrap it gloss black this time and see how the little carbon/gray emblem looks w/ that. If it's not the look I'm hoping for I'll re-wrap the carbon grill again.
I know you like your vinyl wrap, but I think it's time you move on with your grille. Either vinyl dip, like your mirrors, or have the grille professionally painted.

Might look into a roof spoiler but still on the fence as to whether I really like the look or not.
Agreed. I've been teetering on that same fence for a long time, and may never actually get off. Can't tell you how many times I've just stood there in the garage, visualizing things. The only decision here that I'm solid on is if I buy one, it will be Stillen's.

Thanks again for the thread, hopefully I can come up w/ a few things in the near future, and of course I'd LOVE to add a BBK sometime.
The BBK really is an impressive (looking) collection of hardware, and I love that my car has it. I respect the Akebono BBK. But I'm not delusional, either. There's really no benefit for the daily driver. It's all for show.
blnewt (11-02-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Psst. Brad...

Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Psst. Brad...

You're a very bad influence, rotten to the core
Old 11-02-2013, 05:01 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Hey, John, I'm humbled by your kind words and must say your contributions along w/ GoFightNguyen & Gio37 are also consistently helpful. It's great that Anthony and Gio go out of their way to welcome the newbies too!

Although John (Rochester) can be a bit harsh at times he speaks from the heart. I must say although I may not always agree w/ some of his critiques, he clearly spells out why he's not digging a particular look or mod and I know my car has benefited from his constructive criticism.

He's also made me think a bit deeper when I'm contemplating a particular addition to my G as I'm now looking at a bigger picture rather than being "tunnel blind" just because the mod is a must-have.

As far as future stuff, I'm really in a holding pattern right now, pretty happy w/ the exterior as is. The exception is the carbon wrap grill I mucked up w/ some excess alcohol that I used for my Epic-Fail clear bra DIY The grill is now a blotchy faded carbon that's not working. I'm going to wrap it gloss black this time and see how the little carbon/gray emblem looks w/ that. If it's not the look I'm hoping for I'll re-wrap the carbon grill again.

Another thing in the wings is wrapping my interior washi panels & stereo, console area w/ a machined vinyl trim, not sure what color yet but probably a dark gray. I've got a few samples to mull through but I think it'll look pretty nice, especially all the trim that's currently black plastic.

Now I'm off to fart a couple rainbows
The akebono upgrade is wholly worth it. Also a relatively easy diy install. Dooo eeet
blnewt (11-03-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 05:08 PM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I was thinking that's where you are, hence the poke.

However, you don't have winter as a convenient excuse, like I do, so...

I know you like your vinyl wrap, but I think it's time you move on with your grille. Either vinyl dip, like your mirrors, or have the grille professionally painted.

Agreed. I've been teetering on that same fence for a long time, and may never actually get off. Can't tell you how many times I've just stood there in the garage, visualizing things. The only decision here that I'm solid on is if I buy one, it will be Stillen's.

The BBK really is an impressive (looking) collection of hardware, and I love that my car has it. I respect the Akebono BBK. But I'm not delusional, either. There's really no benefit for the daily driver. It's all for show.
Disagree! I admittedly drive fairly aggressively, but I've had a handful of panic stop scenarios on the street aince I've installed the akebonos, and there's no way I would have gotten out unscathed with the stock x brakes. (Hawk hps pads / dba 4k rotors, ate fluid, stainless lines, fwiw.)
Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I think if I were to do a BBK it would be the Wilwood kit, they seem to have a bit better clearance so I wouldn't need spacers to clear and it would be a 6pot/4pot setup. And although I love the look of the Akebonos it would be nice to have something you don't see too often.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Brad please don't give me too many more things I'm going to want to do... Though I see a BBK in my future to match the color scheme I'm envisioning. (I tried to fart rainbows, that was a catastrophic failure however)

Along the lines of this thread, while most people here on the forum have been great you are really a cut above and much appreciated!
blnewt (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
Brad please don't give me too many more things I'm going to want to do... Though I see a BBK in my future to match the color scheme I'm envisioning. (I tried to fart rainbows, that was a catastrophic failure however)

Along the lines of this thread, while most people here on the forum have been great you are really a cut above and much appreciated!
Thanks for the kind words
My to-do list is pretty small right now but there's always something on the back burner that can get moved up. The BBK is a pipe dream at this point, especially since I just got new rotors & pads that I'm pretty happy with. If it wasn't for all these beautiful caliper threads floating around it would be much easier to ignore my "baby" brakes, but those big colorful stoppers sure do complete the overall performance look on these cars, so until then that will be something to yearn for.
Bota36 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Rochester
Administrator

You still have the OEM cats on the car, don't you?

Quick Reply: What's next for Newt?