Sponsored by:

rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 01:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Mik3G37S
300 for the spoiler including labor? o.O so how much was the spoiler then, the cheapest Graphite shadow spoiler I found online on infinitiparts or whatever it was , was for 280$ painted

And gotta tell you, now by seeing yours installed on the same color sedan, It makes me reconsider on which one I wanna get -_- either the Autokitsx spoiler or the OEM and I really am clueless..
Considering the OEM is factory paint matched and a perfect fit IMO it's a great deal, I've been very happy w/ mine
Mike, the install is very easy as well, I'd definitely DIY the install unless you get a deal like the OP, that's a sweet price installed for sure.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:55 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Considering the OEM is factory paint matched and a perfect fit IMO it's a great deal, I've been very happy w/ mine
Mike, the install is very easy as well, I'd definitely DIY the install unless you get a deal like the OP, that's a sweet price installed for sure.
blnewt I know OEM is factory matched paint and perfect fit and such. but then again there is the question I keep asking myself ... do I want my G to look exactly the same as any other out there that has an OEM wing? lol. but I see where you're coming from... and like I usually try to do anything DIY I would probably try this too but I would be afraid to drill any holes in the trunk lid
Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

blnewt I know OEM is factory matched paint and perfect fit and such. but then again there is the question I keep asking myself ... do I want my G to look exactly the same as any other out there that has an OEM wing? lol. but I see where you're coming from... and like I usually try to do anything DIY I would probably try this too but I would be afraid to drill any holes in the trunk lid
Understood about trying to have a more unique look, and also about being the one drilling into your car
The spoiler comes w/ an accurate template (mine was an off-sale so it didn't have one) and I didn't drill the outside two holes (that are outside of the factory chrome piece) these aren't necessary for a solid install and it saves the trunk deck if your spoiler gets damaged or you want to revert it back to the chrome lip. The main thing when drilling new holes is to properly primer them and the old holes that are no longer used by spraying primer on some cardboard and swabbing the holes w/ a primer soaked Q tip. I'm sure you'll like the look with either spoiler as it's a much better look than the chrome piece IMO.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
do I want my G to look exactly the same as any other out there that has an OEM wing?
In what context? The majority of G35/25/37 Sedans out there don't have a rear spoiler, OEM or otherwise. There are other subtle things about the car that you can personalize. When it comes to rear spoilers, it's difficult to do that tastefully and not be OEM.

I've always liked the raised spoiler on the 2007-2008 G35S. That would look unique on the last model G37.
The following users liked this post:
Mik3G37S (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Mik3G37S

I'm sure you'll like the look with either spoiler as it's a much better look than the chrome piece IMO.
oh yeah defnitely better than the chrome piece that I have hated since the very beginning I picked up the car !!!

Originally Posted by Rochester
In what context? The majority of G35/25/37 Sedans out there don't have a rear spoiler, OEM or otherwise. There are other subtle things about the car that you can personalize. When it comes to rear spoilers, it's difficult to do that tastefully and not be OEM.

I've always liked the raised spoiler on the 2007-2008 G35S. That would look unique on the last model G37.
I know majority don't have them but still perhaps You are right , there are indeed other things about the car I can personalize since it's difficult to do that tastefully and not be OEM like you said... yeah I always liked the raised spoiler on the 07-08 G35S/xS ( my friend has a G35xS with that raised spoiler) but what I don't like about it is how the chrome piece just is in the way ( unless you paint it the same exact color as the car, but it's still there) IMHO that raised spoiler would look really great on the trunk if the trunk was 1 piece trunk without that chrome plastic piece )

uhh I'm guessin I'm just gonna go with the OEM G37 lip/spoiler like the OP which was my first choice anyway...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Mik3G37S

so I pulled the trigger on the OEM factory painted spoiler and now it's the matter of figuring out the installation... I know this has been discussed yet it still leaves me wondering.... considering the double sided tape's strength It should be enough to hold it all together... but then would it be enough in the long run? and I would be afraid that the double sided tape might not be permament enough? I'm a DIY person and never take my car to a shop of course except the dealer for the necessary stuff... but if I was to end up deciding on drilling holes then that's not something I would wanna do myself
Rochester and blnewt I'm sure both of you guys can help me out here, thanks a lot, while I'm patiently waiting till they get the spoiler back in stock and ship it in 2-3 days lol
Old 10-25-2013, 09:36 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Mik,

You need to drill the center holes that go under the chrome spacer. Just don't drill the outside holes and the double-stick tape will hold it fine. I did that and had no issues. It took about 2 hours to install, but really it was less since I stopped for dinner in the middle of that. I did tape and cover the area as instructed and was meticulous to avoid any scratches.

I believe there is a DIY on this.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
BTW, 99% of the G's here in Colorado have no spoilers. So I don't have any worries about looking like everyone else. Of course I think I might have the only 6MT sedan in Colorado, too.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by gsm026
Mik,

You need to drill the center holes that go under the chrome spacer. Just don't drill the outside holes and the double-stick tape will hold it fine. I did that and had no issues. It took about 2 hours to install, but really it was less since I stopped for dinner in the middle of that. I did tape and cover the area as instructed and was meticulous to avoid any scratches.

Here's the DIY, mine is a bit more detailed since I didn't have a template, w/ the provided template you can disregard all my measurement details, but like mentioned, no need to drill the outer two holes, this is a nice bonus in case your spoiler gets damaged or ever want to go back to the chrome, or have that option for a future buyer. Otherwise you'd have those two outer holes to repair and paint
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3313864-post47.html
Here's the whole thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...5-on-ebay.html
Old 10-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Mik3G37S

Mik,

I thought there already are existing wholes under the chrome piece that you just reuse for the install of the spoiler, but from what you're telling me it seems like I still gotta drill some holes underneath the chrome piece... ugh I thought I would get away without drilling any holes lol.

BTW, 99% of the G's here in Colorado have no spoilers. So I don't have any worries about looking like everyone else. Of course I think I might have the only 6MT sedan in Colorado, too.
that's always nice to be the one of the very few standing out of the crowd haha. mine's 6MT and I'm sure there are several others in NJ but not many though comparing to all the non-sport G37 sedans I see and barely ever the true Sport sedan

Here's the DIY, mine is a bit more detailed since I didn't have a template, w/ the provided template you can disregard all my measurement details, but like mentioned, no need to drill the outer two holes, this is a nice bonus in case your spoiler gets damaged or ever want to go back to the chrome, or have that option for a future buyer. Otherwise you'd have those two outer holes to repair and paint
https://www.myg37.com/forums/3313864-post47.html
Here's the whole thread
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...5-on-ebay.html
I see ... so I would still have to drill the holes regardless I think I'll end up having some shop drill these for me and install it too :X
Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 PM
knothx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pricojorge
bad picture, but I found it fast, are you referring to this one ?

Where did you buy that roof spoiler?