Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta admit, I'm back on the Dip

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
OP I can always appreciate doing something different/against the grain, but the engine bay is not aesthetically pleasing to me, looks like something a doge neon owner would do, but seems like you like it and that's all that matters
Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
OP I can always appreciate doing something different/against the grain, but the engine bay is not aesthetically pleasing to me, looks like something a doge neon owner would do, but seems like you like it and that's all that matters
You could have at least said a Honda, but a Neon, c'mon, that's cold. I'll get it cleaned up and shoot some pics that hopefully are more representative of the true look. Hopefully it'll move up from Neon status
Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
haha no offense intended!
the neon was an exaggeration

Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by STownSaint
haha no offense intended!
the neon was an exaggeration

lol,^^No offense taken, you gotta roll w/ the punches, and I must admit those photos don't really make it look very good
Old 08-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Newt, I've got an idea here based on what you did, that I might pursue later in the month, after next week's new intake is installed. The long mid-pipes will be a glossy, Black Nickle finish, and I was thinking of applying a similar paint, or a simple gloss black, just to that pair of S-shaped, vertical panels... shown here:

And that's it. Leaving the panels behind them in flat-black plastic.

I'm going to sit on this and think it over a bit. Certainly I'll have a better handle on it after installing the intake.

Another idea is to take the panel doors and have them vinyl dipped like you did your mirrors. I wonder how that would hold up, particularly with the clips and all.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-03-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:41 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Thought I was done with this stuff, then Rochester started pimpin these engine bay beautification projects in my head. Went to Home Depot last week for that High heat paint for my exhaust cans and saw they now had Plastidip in a few other colors besides black, they stocked Red, White, Blue, and Gunmetal.
Since my G's theme is pretty much black & carbon I thought Gunmetal might be a good blend so here it goes.

I Plastidipped the following~
~Radiator Cover, Battery & Master Cylinder Covers, Band Trim in front of the covers, Engine Cover, Coolant tank, and Front & Rear Infiniti Emblems.
I vinyl wrapped the Infiniti Emblem on the engine cover w/ matte black vinyl.

Parts prepped & ready to Plastidip (sorry forgot to takes pics of the prepped engine cover since I did that after all these parts )

Here's the coolant tank, shout out to Rochester for the idea to paint this along w/ the fluid level window, came out pretty sweet I must say

And the rest of the finished pics, really like the gunmetal color, and Plastidip is such a forgiving paint that as long as you do decent prep your almost guaranteed nice results. And best of all I'm officially CHROME FREE!!!

WOW!! Very Nice. Gray is a interesting color to work with but I really like it
One can tell it took a lot of time planning and work

Great job
The fluid level window is a GREAT idea and I like the lights
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Newt, I've got an idea here based on what you did, that I might pursue later in the month, after next week's new intake is installed. The long mid-pipes will be a glossy, Black Nickle finish, and I was thinking of applying a similar paint, or a simple gloss black, just to that pair of S-shaped, vertical panels... shown here:

And that's it. Leaving the panels behind them in flat-black plastic.

I'm going to sit on this and think it over a bit. Certainly I'll have a better handle on it after installing the intake.

Another idea is to take the panel doors and have them vinyl dipped like you did your mirrors. I wonder how that would hold up, particularly with the clips and all.
Should go well w/ your R2C, I'm looking forward to hearing how you like the intake, I'm thinking you'll have a nice grin on your face when you get that bad boy opened up
BTW, do you have a shop that does that dipping near you? If so it's worth it to just go check it out and have them show you what they can do. They also have a lot of different film to get certain looks.

I'm thinking of doing a little tweak to the front emblem w/ a carbon wrap blend going just behind the front of the emblem (where that hair line goes around the logo). I'll do some experimenting and see what turns up. I'm also going to detail the paint edging much better so hopefully it'll show up sharper & cleaner.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by inyquest
WOW!! Very Nice. Gray is a interesting color to work with but I really like it
One can tell it took a lot of time planning and work

Great job
The fluid level window is a GREAT idea and I like the lights
Thanks for the kind words, I'm pretty happy w/ it, but like I mentioned in my previous reply there's a bit of detailing yet to do, but should make a nice difference.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

BTW, do you have a shop that does that dipping near you? If so it's worth it to just go check it out and have them show you what they can do. They also have a lot of different film to get certain looks.
I don't know yet. If I go down that road, suppose I'll find out.

I'll be sure to keep you in the loop somewhere about the R2C.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:41 PM
G37-Pearl

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
newt if your work here turned out very bad do to your photography

you inspire us all to do things based on you work here , thanks a lot sir .

The long mid-pipes will be a glossy, Black Nickle finish
R2C ? if so waiting already for the final work
blnewt (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37-Pearl
R2C ? if so waiting already for the final work
Yes, R2C. The intakes come in gloss black, polished SS, or Black Nickel. The BL is at a pretty steep premium, all things considered. However, I purchased it through Tunerzstore here on the forum, and he gave me an extremely fair price.

I've got an intro/build thread that I'll bump with pictures. Kit arrives tomorrow, so it will be soon.

Originally Posted by G37-Pearl
newt if your work here turned out very bad do to your photography

you inspire us all to do things based on you work here, thanks a lot sir.
Agreed. Newt's mods are inspirational. Often a hit, sometimes a miss (sorry bud), but always honest and enthusiastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
blnewt (08-04-2013), G37-Pearl (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Here's some pics of the front emblem w/ the carbon trim, IMO it's a lot better and gotta thank Rochester for the idea I think the color is a more true representation this time, at least it doesn't look blue (at least on my PC).

Old 08-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Here's some pics of the front emblem w/ the carbon trim, IMO it's a lot better and gotta thank Rochester for the idea I think the color is a more true representation this time, at least it doesn't look blue (at least on my PC).
Much improved, wrapping the sides. Well done, and you're very welcome.

I still don't care for the plastidip, and would love to see you have the grille professionally vinyl dipped or painted... but at least now the logo fits the design.
blnewt (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:46 PM
G37-Pearl

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's some pics of the front emblem
improved from last pics but if you can take some shots for the front end so we can see better than this close ups

I've got an intro/build thread that I'll bump with pictures. Kit arrives tomorrow, so it will be soon.
i will keep an eye on your build thread good luck roch
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Thanks John, even though the emblem is just cheap chrome plated plastic it looked even cheaper when it was all gray, I think the carbon trim classes it back up again
If that makes sense

Quick Reply: Gotta admit, I'm back on the Dip