G37 Sedan

Gotta admit, I'm back on the Dip

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I think the engine bay is interesting, I could see how getting a proper color accurate picture would be difficult. maybe try pulling the battery cover out and put it in the direct sun to photograph.

My only comment is I really liked your chrome Infiniti emblems on the grille and trunk, thought it was a nice contrast piece. But tastes are subjective and as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
There's ample room (flat surfaces) in the engine bay for some very creative artwork/graphics if you're good at it.. hint hint Would make for some interesting conversations at car gatherings.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:24 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
I think the engine bay is interesting, I could see how getting a proper color accurate picture would be difficult. maybe try pulling the battery cover out and put it in the direct sun to photograph.

My only comment is I really liked your chrome Infiniti emblems on the grille and trunk, thought it was a nice contrast piece. But tastes are subjective and as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters.
Thanks, I'm happy w/ the overall look, but like Rochester metnioned there's some detailing that needs to be done. Luckily w/ the P-Dip just a sharp exacto along the edges and a quick peel, the VVES in particular. I'll get things cleaned up a bit better and try to get a more accurate color portrayal.

As far as the Emblems, again the color isn't representative, I'll see if I can get better pics there too

It's all a work in progress, as is life

Originally Posted by Jsolo
There's ample room (flat surfaces) in the engine bay for some very creative artwork/graphics if you're good at it.. hint hint Would make for some interesting conversations at car gatherings.
Got any examples?? Or would it be NSFW
Old 07-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Tough crowd. Some of you guys are the destroyer of dreams. With that said, I think it looks good. However, you seem to be a pretty talented diy'er, and I feel you sold yourself short, and could be better served doing a more demanding project.

I think it's good enough as is, but you could take it to a higher level. Maybe continue the carbon trend inside the engine bay using this technique.
Carbon Fiber Tutorial 1 | airbrushtricks.com
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Redpit
Tough crowd. Some of you guys are the destroyer of dreams. With that said, I think it looks good. However, you seem to be a pretty talented diy'er, and I feel you sold yourself short, and could be better served doing a more demanding project.

I think it's good enough as is, but you could take it to a higher level. Maybe continue the carbon trend inside the engine bay using this technique.
Carbon Fiber Tutorial 1 | airbrushtricks.com
Thanks Red, interesting link, simple enough from the looks of it. I've see a few carbon fiber DIYs on youtube that look like they may be within reach, time will tell. For the time being I'm going to do more detailing, dress the hoses and rubber and see what turns up. Thanks for the kind words
Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 PM
tbulsara

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
just a quick note.. if you do or anyone else does decide on dip'in... you do not need to tape of the whole rear end when dip'in the rear emblem or anything for that matter, just tape of a square around the emblem and you will be good, once dried, the part on the paint will peel clean off.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey, brother... I'll say this: you got more huevos than I do. I wouldn't even TRY that.

In fact, since I like your CF accents so much, I have contacted someone who does that professionally to have my front lip, window trim, and maybe some other parts done for me. If I go through with it, I'll post peeetchers.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Thanks Red, interesting link, simple enough from the looks of it. I've see a few carbon fiber DIYs on youtube that look like they may be within reach, time will tell. For the time being I'm going to do more detailing, dress the hoses and rubber and see what turns up. Thanks for the kind words
Dress the hoses? You might want to rethink hose braiding Newt. It gets dirty just looking at it.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:16 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm definitely digging the emblems bro nice work! Take a better picture of the rear emblem to get a better look at the color. too much sun reflection on the image here is hard to see how it stands out on your black car

Old 07-29-2013, 07:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Dress the hoses? You might want to rethink hose braiding Newt. It gets dirty just looking at it.
I just meant putting some of that stuff GoFightNguyen was referring to to get the hoses cleaned up & shiny along w/ the seal rubbers etc.
I've had braided hoses before on a Jeep and I know what you're talking about.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by tbulsara
just a quick note.. if you do or anyone else does decide on dip'in... you do not need to tape of the whole rear end when dip'in the rear emblem or anything for that matter, just tape of a square around the emblem and you will be good, once dried, the part on the paint will peel clean off.

True that ^ It's been awhile since I dipped anything so I was just paranoid
Old 07-29-2013, 07:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by MACS
Hey, brother... I'll say this: you got more huevos than I do. I wouldn't even TRY that.

In fact, since I like your CF accents so much, I have contacted someone who does that professionally to have my front lip, window trim, and maybe some other parts done for me. If I go through with it, I'll post peeetchers.
Look forward to seeing how it all turns out, should be a nice look, hopefully the place was close by so you can check up on it.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by LilRocket
I'm definitely digging the emblems bro nice work! Take a better picture of the rear emblem to get a better look at the color. too much sun reflection on the image here is hard to see how it stands out on your black car

Thanks LR
I need to take better pictures of everything, probably wouldn't hurt to have someone that actually has photo skills & a better camera next time around.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Look forward to seeing how it all turns out, should be a nice look, hopefully the place was close by so you can check up on it.
Nope. About an hour away, but I just bought a 3rd car (commuter) so I can leave it without needing a rental.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 AM
615sfinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great man, I'm digging the colors.

Quick Reply: Gotta admit, I'm back on the Dip