Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Wanting to get lights smoked...plus other need advice??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:50 AM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Wanting to get lights smoked...plus need other advice??

I went to a local shop in TX to ask about getting my headlights and tail lights smoked. The guys were quoting an awesome price of less than $150 for all four lights since I've gotten other work done with them. They said they would put a clear coat w/ a bit of black paint on the outside of the lights to give it the smoked look. They also said that the paint could be easily removed if it was ever needed. I have an Obsidian Black 2011 G37x Sedan, so I'm thinking the blacked out lights would look great with a black grill.
Does painting the outside of the lights this way sound right? I am new to modding, so still learning the ropes.

Also, more immediately I want to make the chrome window parts black. I've seen a few posts of individuals vinyling it. The shop said it would have to be a thin vinyl which may easily show fingernail marks (much like the standard door vinyl already shows). Maybe I should go to a shop that specifically focuses on vinyl for this work?

Lastly, any suggestions on whether to the grill vinyled or have the grill painted satin black?

Thanks for helping a new member to the forum!

Last edited by txg37x; 09-15-2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:40 AM
InfiniteSmoke

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome. Search feature is always a great tool. How I got to know stuff quicker than getting a response.

But yes, painting the taillights sounds just right. Heavier the coat, the darker the shade.

Headlights, you would want to actually take it apart, and actually paint the housing separately. Requires more work, but the finish is much better.

Window trim. Vinyl or paint would work. Same concept.

Grille. Goss black. Not a fan of vinyl on that.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:01 AM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
You plan to smoke the lens of the headlights?

Tail smoke = yes
Grill paint
Door trim paint
Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 AM
BuckNorris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window trim is actually fairly simple and this is a great write-up for it. if you like doing stuff yourself this is a good diy to start with and definitely cheaper than having it done somewhere.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-g-sedans.html
Old 09-15-2012, 07:38 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I've pretty much done everything you're planning on doing. I wouldn't recommend tinting the headlight lens cover, you really want your Xenon projectors to retain their original brightness. I would recommend painting the inside shrouds & bezels like InfinitiSmoke mentioned. As far as the grill, I vinyl wrapped mine in carbon fiber vinyl, holds up well. I also penned the DIY that BuckNorris linked for the window trim. It is an easy DIY and a good way to get a feel for working w/ vinyl. As far as the taillights, I have a DIY for them too, IMO it's best to lightly smoke the lights but get the rest of the tails as dark as you like. This leaves the lights still bright for safety and also still legal. Here's my DIY for the tail lights and a link to pics of my car (just skip to the last couple pages, it's been a work in progress )
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
Dropped my OB - G35Driver
Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM
GhostFaceKilla
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Eh I hate smoked tails, but it's your car. I'll wait and see how it turns out.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:45 PM
james.nguyen37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They also make a vinyl wrap that smoked out the tails so its not sprayed on by paint, I prefer the vinyl BC you can take it off whenever you want n with paint its harder to come off.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:04 PM
txg37x

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for yalls advice. I decided to just have both the grill and window trim painted as IS and legit mentioned. Shop offered a lifetime warranty on the grill and getting it all done for around $130 seems reasonable. I also ordered a prepainted rear roof spoiler.

I'll wait on getting the headlights done, but getting the chrome inside parts painted definitely looks like the way to go. Undecided on having the taillights painted or getting an overlay...

Lastly, any advice on rims? I'm 90% certain I'll go with MSR 095 in superfinish w/ black trim 18x8. What would be best size tires for this setup? 255/40, 245/45, etc. Looking to get a wider tire look, but with the X, not sure what the best options are.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Paint the tails yourself, it'll look much better than vinyl, trust me I've had both