G37 Sedan

Just purchased my G37x today

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Link20

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just purchased my G37x today

Sedan, silver, real nice

Had an M3 before this, hated the two door... Then went into a Maxima fully loaded it was a great ride, I test drove the G37 4-5 times at one dealership, I LOVED IT........

So bought one today, 37x sedan, fully loaded very nice looking car..... BUT heres the problem

When I test drove the G I heard a RAWRRR when I would hit the gas, it was amazing... Then when I accelerated it would FLY and the sound of the exhaust was really really nice..... Today the G I got, no noise, the acceleration was not good, I had to almost hit 7rpm to go 20mph, and it was in automatic D, not the tiptronic

Is this normal? The car literally had 2 miles on it and now it has about 50 but it still is not the same feel as the test drive was... Infiniti is coming tomorrow to pick it up and give me a loaner to see what is wrong... Is this common?

Another question... I am coming from a max that had 19inch gunmetal wheels and an M3 that had 19inch chrome nice wheels... I can not do these 17inch garbage wheels... looking to purchase a black or gunmetal set of wheels, any recommendations? Looking to spend around 1500 with tires... And what size do I need to make it not look goofy without springs (dont want springs, i know they are only 200 bucks but the install on them is another 200)

Thanks for all the help
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Rocket Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new G!! A quick search on wheels will give you lots of options. $1500 for wheels and tires may be the challenge. I think the VMR V710 is a great bargain and they offer them in gumetal and black.

Just as an FYI - If you are considering a staggered set-up be sensitive to the difference in overall tire diameter, front to rear. The common logic is as long as you are within 3% you should be ok.....anything more and it may cause issues with your AWD. The other option is to run a square set-up. VMR V710's come in 8.5" with a 35 offset that should be pretty flush on a sedan.

As a starting point....VMR Wheels Gallery

This is a great forum for help. Check the search for search first then tap the vast knowledge available her.......they have helped me a ton!!

Good Luck,
RJ
Old 07-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Link20

Originally Posted by Rocket Jockey
Congrats on the new G!! A quick search on wheels will give you lots of options. $1500 for wheels and tires may be the challenge. I think the VMR V710 is a great bargain and they offer them in gumetal and black.

Just as an FYI - If you are considering a staggered set-up be sensitive to the difference in overall tire diameter, front to rear. The common logic is as long as you are within 3% you should be ok.....anything more and it may cause issues with your AWD. The other option is to run a square set-up. VMR V710's come in 8.5" with a 35 offset that should be pretty flush on a sedan.

As a starting point....VMR Wheels Gallery

This is a great forum for help. Check the search for search first then tap the vast knowledge available her.......they have helped me a ton!!

Good Luck,
RJ

Thank you for the reply, I am very very new to the 'mods' scene, I have no idea what you are talking about when you just wrote those numbers and sizes...

My main question though, when you first got your G did you hear the exhaust? I just drove by a g37 with a 70 year old woman driving and I heard the exhaust on her car and my windows were shut that is how loud and deep it was..... My car makes no noise
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Link20
When I test drove the G I heard a RAWRRR when I would hit the gas, it was amazing... Then when I accelerated it would FLY and the sound of the exhaust was really really nice..... Today the G I got, no noise, the acceleration was not good, I had to almost hit 7rpm to go 20mph, and it was in automatic D, not the tiptronic

Is this normal? The car literally had 2 miles on it and now it has about 50 but it still is not the same feel as the test drive was... Infiniti is coming tomorrow to pick it up and give me a loaner to see what is wrong... Is this common?
Common? No...

But I'm betting the exhaust noise you heard in the 1st one gave you the impression of greater acceleration.

The exhaust sound is varies by vehicle. My Malbec Black Sport is quiet. My wifes non-sport sounds more sporting. Go figure...Anyway...for the first few months I would have sworn my wife's G was quicker. Not so - it just SOUNDS that way.

Let us know what the dealer says...

OH - and you shouldn't be spinning the engine to 7000 rpm with 50 miles on it - but I get your point...
Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Link20

Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
Common? No...

But I'm betting the exhaust noise you heard in the 1st one gave you the impression of greater acceleration.

The exhaust sound is varies by vehicle. My Malbec Black Sport is quiet. My wifes non-sport sounds more sporting. Go figure...Anyway...for the first few months I would have sworn my wife's G was quicker. Not so - it just SOUNDS that way.

Let us know what the dealer says...

OH - and you shouldn't be spinning the engine to 7000 rpm with 50 miles on it - but I get your point...

I didnt mean to hit 7000 rpm, I was going 20mph, it was soooooo slow

It is a tad faster now, but I love that vibrating loud exhaust function...well see what the dealer says
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
did you test drive the coupe?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Link20

Originally Posted by sniper27
did you test drive the coupe?
Yeah it was great! But I need a 4 door car right now, I would love the coupe, if they tell me the car I just bought needs a fixing or need to give me a new car, I am going to tell them to give me the coupe for the same price

I think my dealer BSed me when he said the coupe would run me about 100 dollars more per month than the sedan
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
there's your problem. the coupe exhaust sounds different from the sedan. your exhaust note (lack of) on your sedan is normal. now, the acceleration problem is not, if it is truly a problem. since you got an X, was your VDC on? (or snow mode or whatever it is)? I don't have a X so not exactly sure what that button says. and the coupe does cost more than the sedan.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Link20

Originally Posted by sniper27
there's your problem. the coupe exhaust sounds different from the sedan. your exhaust note (lack of) on your sedan is normal. now, the acceleration problem is not, if it is truly a problem. since you got an X, was your VDC on? (or snow mode or whatever it is)? I don't have a X so not exactly sure what that button says. and the coupe does cost more than the sedan.
O no no no i test drove both the coupe and the sedan, yes the coupe was louder but the sedan still had the nice rawr... I test drove 3 of them at different dealerships and my fiance has a g37 2011
Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
WILLDOGS
Registered Member

As far as for bad acceleration, make sure your snow switch is not "on"

This will retard the acceleration considerably
Old 07-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Rocket Jockey

Thank you for the reply, I am very very new to the 'mods' scene, I have no idea what you are talking about when you just wrote those numbers and sizes...

My main question though, when you first got your G did you hear the exhaust? I just drove by a g37 with a 70 year old woman driving and I heard the exhaust on her car and my windows were shut that is how loud and deep it was..... My car makes no noise
Ahhh, gotcha. Wheels obviously come in different widths. Depending on the look you are after, that will determine "all the numbers" I refereneced. Most people like to have the wheels flush with the fenders for a clean look..... Name:  Conceptone-RS-10-Infiniti-G37-8.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  123.5 KBThis is a pic of a fellow board members sedan that is pretty flush, just fills the wheel well nicely. Offset is the number that indicates how the wheel will sit in relation to the hub....extended closer to the fender or sunken further in.... Do some reading and look at all the pics to figure out the look you are after.

The VMR V170's (not the wheels in the pic above), 8.5" wide with a 35 offset were just a suggestion that would get you new rims ($1000) and tires close to your $1500 budget that would be a square set-up (same all around) that would sit fairly flush with no poking out and no need to run negative camber to fit.....conservative but nice fitment. I went with this set-up after a lot of looking.

Lowering is a personal choice, Swift Springs make a set of lowering springs just for the "X" models, mild drop but it make a big difference in appearance and does help the handling a bit. BTW - Install of springs on the X is super simple. Most people here will encourage you to drop it for the proper look and sometimes to allow more negative camber to tuck a more aggressive width/offset wheel. Still greek?? Just read everything you can and you will get it......or ask.

As far as exhaust, I think mine sounds good as is. It is my daily driver so quiet is good but it does growl when i step on it. Yours may get a little more aggressive with a few miles on it. There are always aftermarket options too.

RJ
Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 AM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah it was great! But I need a 4 door car right now, I would love the coupe, if they tell me the car I just bought needs a fixing or need to give me a new car, I am going to tell them to give me the coupe for the same price

I think my dealer BSed me when he said the coupe would run me about 100 dollars more per month than the sedan
Dream on. No dealer is going to give you a coupe for the price of the sedan. And depending on the length of your loan, how much you put down, or your lease term, $100/mo more for a coupe sounds reasonable. There is a $5k price difference between coupe and sedan, bro.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues, these really are great cars. And yes even the sedans have a nice sound to them, nothing like a VQ engine sound. Anyway hope they figure your car out and welcome to the forums!
Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
My last 2 new vehicles did get louder after a couple thousand miles. You are advised to never go over 4k rpm for the first 1500 or so miles (owner's manual). I bet your G was smelling real bad after what you did.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sedan, silver, real nice

Had an M3 before this, hated the two door... Then went into a Maxima fully loaded it was a great ride, I test drove the G37 4-5 times at one dealership, I LOVED IT........

So bought one today, 37x sedan, fully loaded very nice looking car..... BUT heres the problem

Another question... I am coming from a max that had 19inch gunmetal wheels and an M3 that had 19inch chrome nice wheels... I can not do these 17inch garbage wheels... looking to purchase a black or gunmetal set of wheels, any recommendations? Looking to spend around 1500 with tires... And what size do I need to make it not look goofy without springs (dont want springs, i know they are only 200 bucks but the install on them is another 200)

Thanks for all the help
Drive it hard as you stole it for the first 3000 miles, that should take care of the break-in for you.

Quick Reply: Just purchased my G37x today