G37 Sedan

Couple of questions- "is this normal?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:26 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Couple of questions- "is this normal?"

So I've had my G for about 2 months now, 2012 sedan sport package 1200 miles on it, and I've got 2 quirks that are starting to concern me. (Yes I will also ask the dealer when I go in for an oil change next month).

Only mods are: diode dynamics interior lights and license plate lights, OEM infiniti footwell accent lights, OEM infiniti illuminated kick plates.

1) When my girlfriend sits in the passenger seat, the passenger airbag off light will sometimes be on until we drive a few hundred yards. Typically only happens when I first start-up the car after it has sat in the garage overnight. Wasn't too terribly concerned about that since it was always at low speeds leaving the neighborhood.
Then the other day I looked down while cruising on the highway at 60mph and the light was lit up with her sitting in the seat (seatbelts on, she's about 5'4" 105lbs), it turned off again after about 1/2 a mile. While it was on I pointed it out to her and she bounced in her seat to see if it would register and nothing happened.

Anyone else experience this? It doesn't happen all the time, so taking it to the dealer will probably get me a "cannot replicate issue response". Any chance it's the LED interior lights causing the issue? Haven't noticed any other ill effects from their install and I like them a lot.

2) I've got a weird sound coming from what I believe to be the front left tire on some road surfaces, almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing, but it's intermittent and doesn't increase with speed. I'm not sure if it is the tire tread on the bridgestone pontezas (OEM 18" sport wheels), the road, or something else.

Best way to describe the sound is a quieter rumble strip on the side of the road. There's a very very small vibration in the steering wheel when it happens (more of a buzz than an actual movement).

It usually occurs while turning right or going straight. When it happens it'll make the noise for 1-2 seconds, quiet for 1 or 2 seconds, then noise for a second, quiet for a second, noise for half a second, then quiet for a few hundred yards, then maybe another 1 second noise, then it'll be quiet for a few miles at all speeds or not make a sound at all. On some roads there is no noise whatsoever, on others a ton. Had it happen at 30mph, and at 70mph on the freeway as well. (the noise is loud enough to hear over the tire and wind noise and radio at 1/3 volume and have the g/f ask what that noise was).

I've re-torqued the lug nuts to 80 lb/ft as the manual suggests, inspected the tread, zero rash on any rim, no big potholes hit.

I'd normally just think it's the roads (and it may be), but since it only seems to be one tire, and it's so intermittent I'm not sure what to think. (it's done this since I bought the car with 32 miles on it).

BTW this car has more road noise from the tires than my Toyota Tundra with E rated 33" BFG T/A KO's, kind of hard to believe. I can't wait to put some better rubber on it.

Anyway sorry for the long post, thanks for your help!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does (1) only happen in winter? Mine did that consistently in winter and there was nothing the dealership could do (or they said). Ever since I started parking my car in the garage the problem has gone away.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I know if there's not enough weight in the passenger seat, that off light will come on. I find it hard to believe that your GF isn't tripping the sensor though.

Could be a problem with the seat sensor. Best bet is to take it to the dealer and get it checked out. It IS a safety thing and god forbid something happens with your GF in the car and the bag doesn't deploy.

Do the safe thing and get it checked out.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Originally Posted by devil2k
Does (1) only happen in winter? Mine did that consistently in winter and there was nothing the dealership could do (or they said). Ever since I started parking my car in the garage the problem has gone away.
Nope, been 85 and sunny here lately, slightly humid, always garage kept at home and at work. It's really intermittent, Some days it never lights up, other times it's on at unusual times, makes it really hard to show them what's going on.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:58 AM
BLamb
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mattster
I know if there's not enough weight in the passenger seat, that off light will come on. I find it hard to believe that your GF isn't tripping the sensor though.

Could be a problem with the seat sensor. Best bet is to take it to the dealer and get it checked out. It IS a safety thing and god forbid something happens with your GF in the car and the bag doesn't deploy.

Do the safe thing and get it checked out.
I agree, the first couple of feet never bothered me, but on the highway it does for sure. I'll make them look at it. Thinking back now, I noticed something similar in the Tundra once or twice, maybe she's just sitting weird and not fully triggering it. She sometimes sits at an odd angle with her legs pointed off to the side, sort of a diagonal on the seat, (don't ask me why )
Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by BLamb
I agree, the first couple of feet never bothered me, but on the highway it does for sure. I'll make them look at it. Thinking back now, I noticed something similar in the Tundra once or twice, maybe she's just sitting weird and not fully triggering it. She sometimes sits at an odd angle with her legs pointed off to the side, sort of a diagonal on the seat, (don't ask me why )
this happens to me on occasions also. my gf likes to sit weird also. kinda to a side with one leg folded up on the seat. i noticed when she does that, the light sometimes come on. if she sits normally, it's fine.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Dj1ofDet
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Under warranty... take it in! Nothing would be worse than an airbag malfunction, during an accident. BTW, off subject, what "stage" lighting upgrade did you go with?
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sniper27
this happens to me on occasions also. my gf likes to sit weird also. kinda to a side with one leg folded up on the seat. i noticed when she does that, the light sometimes come on. if she sits normally, it's fine.
Sounds exactly like my issue, I bet it's the way she's sitting, next time I see it on I'll tell her to sit normal and see how quick it goes off.

Under warranty... take it in! Nothing would be worse than an airbag malfunction, during an accident. BTW, off subject, what "stage" lighting upgrade did you go with?
I kind of did a mix and match, stage 3 for the door lights, license plate, trunk light. Then I did the same "stage 3 light" used in the license plate for the map lights and dome lights (5 LED one, I didn't really like the boards and preferred the light to not be so intense). Stage 2 in the vanity mirrors and the glove box is the same for all 3 stages.
I really like the way my mix turned out, not too bright, slightly brighter than stock, but has the white light. Plus no taped up boards to come loose or rattle and direct fit where they're supposed to go. All my bulbs worked, but you had to slightly bend the wires on the connectors toward the outer edge of the plugs with your fingers to make proper contact, very minor alteration.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Dulanicki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't hurt to take it in. You don't want to take a chance of a malfunction. If dealer cannot duplicate or refuses to fix, contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs. The last thing Nissan would want is to have a Toyota fiasco. If your persistent, they will contact the dealer on your behalf and authorize a new sensor to be installed. BTW, here's there number (800) 662-6200. Best of luck
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM
trcb777

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My driver side airbag does the same thing with my wife. She sits on one leg and I guess the sensor does not pick it up. When I tell at her to sit normal, everything is fine.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 PM
adw234

+1 on the girlfriend not sitting on the seat "correctly". My wife is also petite and I have the same issue. I think my service rep told me there is a minimum weight of right around 100 lbs - so it makes sense that a passanger weighing just over 100 lbs would make the airbag turn off if not sitting in the seat just right.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by adw234
+1 on the girlfriend not sitting on the seat "correctly". My wife is also petite and I have the same issue. I think my service rep told me there is a minimum weight of right around 100 lbs - so it makes sense that a passanger weighing just over 100 lbs would make the airbag turn off if not sitting in the seat just right.

time for the OP to take his GF out for a dozen cheesburgers or something
Old 04-09-2012, 04:45 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mattster
time for the OP to take his GF out for a dozen cheesburgers or something
I just need a 5 point racing harness to keep her sitting in the seat correctly from the sounds of it lol.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:01 PM
hainguyen281

My fiance is about 95 lbs and the light comes on everytime she is in the passenger seat.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 PM
BLamb
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hainguyen281
My fiance is about 95 lbs and the light comes on everytime she is in the passenger seat.
Hmm, so this now confirms the 100lb limit. I wonder if there is a way to get a more "sensitive" sensor so the airbag will still go off in an accident if she's in the seat, or maybe the design is deemed unsafe for deployment on anyone under 100lbs? Is this something all cars do? I would think that height would be more important than weight in regards to the airbag safety (where it hits you vs mass).

Quick Reply: Couple of questions- "is this normal?"