Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G Won't Start.....WTF!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM
BlueOnyxG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G Won't Start.....WTF!!! Help

So, the car has been parked since Monday night with no movement. It's parked in my garage. And the temps did dip down to like -14 degrees (Celcius) last night, but my garage is always pretty warm. My garage temp was at -4 celcius this morning according to my cars thermometer. So not cold by anymeans.

Anways, the G won't turn over. Tries, but won't start. Lights, radio, climate control, everything else works. The brake pedal became stiff and kind of dropped to the floor. It just won't turn over. Battery??? The car is only 15 months old with 30,000km on it.

Any idea?
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 AM
1BadAssG

Give it a jump and see if it'll start. Sometimes battery could be drained that it doesn't have enough juice to start the car but some electronics.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 AM
BlueOnyxG

Thanks, i'm gonna try that when i go home from work at lunch. Will call Infiniti roadside.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:45 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 1badassg
give it a jump and see if it'll start. Sometimes battery could be drained that it doesn't have enough juice to start the car but some electronics.
+1 Give it a jump!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe your driving conditions don't allow the battery to charge enough.
If it were me I would pick up a smart charger and leave it hooked up for 24 hours to see if that solves the problem. You can pick one up for a little over $20.
A lot of the times when one of my vehicles sits for several days I connect my smart charger, to keep the battery up to speed. My motorcycle always has another smart charger hooked to it when it is in my garage.
I would also check that the cables are tight and clean.
I have had a 6 month old car where the battery failed, so it may just turn out to be a bad battery.
Tom
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM
stratos

Also, lol at (-4 celcious = not cold by any means)
:P
Old 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
BlueOnyxG

well guys, just had Infiniti Roadside assistance come with the intentions of either boosting or Towing the vehicle. To my surprise, it had nothing to do with the battery at all. The tow guy had me push the gas pedal and hold it down while trying to start. Sure enough, it started, but not pretty. Thick smoke and gas smell from the car. He said the injectors got flooded. He said the weather temps can play alot of tricks on the car. One day extreme cold, and the next warm. Has anyone else has or heard of this issue?

I called the dealer, they said these cars are not known for this. He basically just told me to take the car for about a half hour drive to clean the system. I drove it for about half hour, city and highway. I drove it hard, with redline acceleration to make sure it cleans. Car seems fine now. Just very strange.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Faulty injector(s) have been known to leak down, resulting in inadequate fuel [pressure] during start up. Check your oil to see if it has fuel present - visible by a rainbow type effect on the dip stick. If so, the oil should be changed (along with whatever injector(s) isn't working properly).
Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM
BlueOnyxG

now, if there is a faulty injector.....how do you diagnose that? Will the Service Engine Soon light come on?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:28 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOnyxG
well guys, just had Infiniti Roadside assistance come with the intentions of either boosting or Towing the vehicle. To my surprise, it had nothing to do with the battery at all. The tow guy had me push the gas pedal and hold it down while trying to start. Sure enough, it started, but not pretty. Thick smoke and gas smell from the car. He said the injectors got flooded. He said the weather temps can play alot of tricks on the car. One day extreme cold, and the next warm. Has anyone else has or heard of this issue?

I called the dealer, they said these cars are not known for this. He basically just told me to take the car for about a half hour drive to clean the system. I drove it for about half hour, city and highway. I drove it hard, with redline acceleration to make sure it cleans. Car seems fine now. Just very strange.
Did roadside service start it without any kind of battery boost? The reason I ask is that you originally said the G wouldn't even turn over. If that was the case, the battery didn't have enough voltage to kick the starter on. So I suspect you'll continue to have problems as the winter gets colder.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I'm not entirely up on injector diagnosis, but consider this. If the injector isn't staying closed, fuel will leak down, and you'll be left with a flooded engine and no fuel pressure. So, they can hook up a gauge and monitor fuel pressure with the car in the off state and/or on state but engine not running. I'm sure there are guidelines to what the pressure should be for x amount of time.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:13 PM
BlueOnyxG

Originally Posted by dkmura
Did roadside service start it without any kind of battery boost? The reason I ask is that you originally said the G wouldn't even turn over. If that was the case, the battery didn't have enough voltage to kick the starter on. So I suspect you'll continue to have problems as the winter gets colder.
I guess i should clarify, the car would turn over, just not start. I'm not sure how to word it, but basically it would crank, just not start. Roadside was able to start it without any battery bossting of any kind. He started it by pressing the gas pedal to the floor, and holding it there while starting.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's good to read that you got your starting problem resolved.
Do you think you may have initially pumped the gas pedal some causing the flooded condition?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Warp37

I'm surprised flooring an electronic/ by wire accelerator when the car is in park and the brake is pressed had any effect at all on the throttle. Hmmmmm.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 AM
BlueOnyxG

Originally Posted by Warp37
I'm surprised flooring an electronic/ by wire accelerator when the car is in park and the brake is pressed had any effect at all on the throttle. Hmmmmm.
I was quite surprised too. When the Tow guy told me to perform this, i was like really? Sure enough, it started.

Quick Reply: G Won't Start.....WTF!!! Help