G37 Sedan

Am I Nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 PM
pkvir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I Nuts?

My G37 is two days old. As you can expect I am in love with the car. Me and the girlfriend had a trip planned to spend Halloween on Bourbon Street months ago and I have the perfect road trip vehicle right? Well I can't bring myself to put 1,100 miles on my new car and subject it to the thrills of the French Quarter. My GF does not want to put the miles on her one year old Camaro, so I rented a car for the trip. We are now taking a 2010 Dodge Avenger G/T(POS) on the road trip. Am i crazy? And yes, after driving the Dodge, it makes me appreciate my job.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I guess you bought it to baby it. Kind of like marrying a virgin and not having sex with her becasue you want to keep her "lady parts" nice and tight if you ask me. So the simple answer is, yes, you are nuts. But it's your car and lots of people think the way you do - buy a car but then don't want to "put a lot of miles on it". Call me a crazy guy, but I buy my cars to drive, not admire. 72K on my '08. Dozens of trips to NOLA since '07.

However, you should NOT drive your car (or any car for that matter) actually into the French Quarter at Halloween. Or any other party occasion for that matter. Bad idea. So maybe you are right to rent a car.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:52 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drive my car A LOT too.. at least 70miles commute everyday but I would rent a car for a 1,100 miles road trip. That's a wise thing to do.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:52 PM
financeman

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope you accepted the collision damage waiver insurance on the rental if you plan to drive into the French Quarter.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
DocJohn
G-DOG

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that you made a good choice.
I've rented a car a few times rather than drive my previous or current G to less than desireable places or situations.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:58 PM
pkvir

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I guess you bought it to baby it. Kind of like marrying a virgin and not having sex with her becasue you want to keep her "lady parts" nice and tight if you ask me. So the simple answer is, yes, you are nuts. But it's your car and lots of people think the way you do - buy a car but then don't want to "put a lot of miles on it". Call me a crazy guy, but I buy my cars to drive, not admire. 72K on my '08. Dozens of trips to NOLA since '07.

However, you should NOT drive your car (or any car for that matter) actually into the French Quarter at Halloween. Or any other party occasion for that matter. Bad idea. So maybe you are right to rent a car.
Well using your analogy, you are correct. I don't want anyone driving my virgin (valet at the hotel) or riff raff messing with my beauty while I'm out having fun. And with less miles on her, she will stay tight.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM
pkvir

Originally Posted by financeman
I hope you accepted the collision damage waiver insurance on the rental if you plan to drive into the French Quarter.
When did I state I was driving "into" the French Quarter? I'm driving to the French Quarter.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 PM
pkvir

Originally Posted by DocJohn
I agree that you made a good choice.
I've rented a car a few times rather than drive my previous or current G to less than desireable places or situations.
Thank you.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
i rather be comfortable on a road trip in my Infiniti
Old 10-28-2011, 07:46 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
My 2010 now has 40k...lol
Old 10-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Ladbroke

I hate rental cars and especially anything made by Dodge (no offence)! As far as the French Quarter goes, good luck finding anywhere to park? The good news is you'll have fun in the FQ no matter which one you drive-live life!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pkvir
When did I state I was driving "into" the French Quarter? I'm driving to the French Quarter.
So you're going to park on North Rampart, Esplanade, or Canal? Not a good idea, either. And I'd definitely rule out parking in the river or on the expressway. You'd end up in one of those places if you drive "to" the quarter, but not "into" it.

Touchy response aside, I definitely agree with your choice to rent a car for this trip. Smart move.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
No biggie putting a bunch of miles on these cars, they're definitely made to be driven for a long time. I agree 100% about a rental in this situation though. No need to put a brand new 40k car into the middle of party central. Where we live I have my town car (a 93 Toyota truck) that we use for going to the movies or the mall, etc. when we have to park it unattended for a long time, especially at night. Our town is loaded w/ lowlifes that really seem to enjoy trashing things that they'll never work hard enough to own themselves
Enjoy your trip even though the drive won't be nearly as fun.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
I have been to mardi gras, no way bring any half way decent car.
There were drunk people puking & spilling drinks all over.
Get the rental with damage waiver, this way if someone messes up the car or ralphs on it your covered.
That place is bad when things get going, alot of drunks jammed together.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 PM
2011G37JOHNBEST

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My friend, your car will appreciates you love it so much

I , myself, had my Sedan since September and I gotta tell you I still baby it every night , wash all those bird poops, detail it every single night.because it's my car, I love it

so

Quick Reply: Am I Nuts?