G37 Sedan

2009 Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's all about preference.
I had 08 6MT coupe and now I got a 2010 xS. I love both cars but I miss driving the 6MT on open roads but hate it in traffic.
I occasionally track my coupe and run some friends on the streets. I do experienced brake fade at most times when I run the car hard. The akebono's doesn't perform better than the brembo's I had on my Z.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
dirtymaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will chime in here as someone who bought an 09 G37x loaner from a dealership. Originally, I wanted a sport, but when I researched it, I found that the only real differences were a car with firm seats (many say too firm), and slightly bigger wheels, that's it. Oh yeah and an S emblem. I know you get bigger breaks and a stiffer suspension with the non-x, but if you need AWD, my opinion is that the S is a real waste of money. I prefer more comfortable seats and can always buy another set of wheels and throw summer tires on them, the best of all worlds. I've never felt the ride was boring. In fact most of the time it just feels like every other car on the road is in my way
Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I think it has to be the sport pkg, really. I had an 04 G35 that had everything but Nav and the newer loaners didn't drive as well, IMO. More giddyup, sure, but the handling wasn't there.

I test drove an 11 with the premium and tire/wheel pkg with wood grain accents. Meh. Wasn't impressed. Then I saw the 11 G37S LE with those red seats! *drooooooool*

Drove it. Bought it.

Lets be honest, though... for the curve hugging, ride on rails feeling... we give up just a little ride comfort. I don't know about you, but I feel all the bumps in the road.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I like my S. I don't think of non-S owners any lesser though. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 PM
roots4x

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
Hey roots, did you know that some ******* is writing idiotic posts and signing your name to them? Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't realize this. Sincerely, ozzypriest.
Right man, it's obvious you have nothin to say. Did you read my post right above the one that was a reply yours?

There's no question you're being a hypocrite. When did I ever resort to name calling (to you anyway).

I did want to add one thing abou the brakes though. Thy are much more powerful and they exhibit more linear braking action. Additionally, the standard brakes are easy to fade on the highway. Not a big deal for non track driving, but it still feels more confident when you're having a little fun.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:14 PM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
I like my S. I don't think of non-S owners any lesser though. Different strokes for different folks.
I agree, it is the same car after all.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The Akami brakes are well known for fade and are barely better than the stock. This has been noted by several of the zines when they tried to track the 370z as a big problem. None of the other cars we like to make fun of had this issue, including the Genesis coupe. When contacted, Nissan reps indicates that the brakes were primarily engineered to release as little brake dust as possible, and went really intended for the track or even heavy duty back road fun. I say WTF to that.

As for the differential, it's sealed, you can't change the fluid. When it gies bad it just goes bad and that's all there is to it. And if abused, it goes bad fast. It is not up to heavy duty use for all the fun stuff one is supposed to be able to do with an LSD like burnouts or 10/10ths standing starts or drifting.

The 6 mt is, again, not exactly known for being one if the better manuals out there. That has been widely observed as well as it's tendency to have stiff action and a sort of off/on feel to the clutch making city driving a chore. Again noted by many blogs and zines.

Yes, you have a bigger sway bar. Whoopteedo. Hasn't really translated into better skidpad numbers.

Seats are more supportive but many people hate the crumb catcher action and some reviewers feel they are uncomfortable and too tight.

You have a better steering rack and bigger wheels, basically in the end. And a much more uncomfortable ride. But pretty brakes. And an S badge so you can feel superior to us lowly non- s owners who have the exact same engine almost the exact same car.

I never got on myg37 and started a thread on how I couldn't wait to get out of my sport loaner and back into my Journey cuz the sport sucked. I only responded to said thread. But you did do that. Who's the hypocrite again?
Please, stop the bench racing, and actually get out to the track. It's clear that you just regurgitate information you read.

1. the BBK enables you to track the car. ANY mass produced car will need good fluid, and better pads, to go on the track. The pads that come with the car are good enough for 99% of the sport package buyers. Have you faded your non-sport brakes? If you haven't, why do you care if the sport brakes fade?

2. the Sways change weight transfer balance in corners. Has a minimal effect on skidpad numbers. Has a huge effect on stability and feel. Skidpad numbers are primarily a function of static spring rate, compression, and most importantly, tires.

3. The VLSD isn't for track duty cars. It's also much more durable, has virtually no maintenance, and is well suited to 99% of the sport package buyers.

4. The 7AT is faster than the 6MT in a straight line. I would take the 5AT over the 7AT at the track, and I would take the 6MT over both.

5. On-off clutch? Please. Learn to drive a standard transmission. I daily drive on a clutch with roughly 3 inches of travel in the pedal and a 8 lb flywheel. No jerkiness, no odd engagement, or anything. You just need to learn to drive it.

6. Uncomfortable seat? Lose some weight buddy. If you're genuinely too big for the seat, you're either overweight, or too tall and would hit your head on the roof anyways.

Last edited by Mike; 02-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
roots4x

Hey roots, did you know that some ******* is writing idiotic posts and signing your name to them? Just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't realize this. Sincerely, ozzypriest.
Just wanted to add a few points since you are being stubborn.

The suspension is not TOO stiff in the S. You must never have driven another sport sedan, but the S is completely comfortable in urban driving. If you can't handle it, fine, but doesn't it come down to opinion? That suspension adds a lot of road feel to the drive which most "passionate" drivers care about.

The vLSD is not the best, but still better than not having one. It makes a diff (haha, no pun intended). And why do you think it loses effectiveness at 45k miles? It should last MUCH longer.

The seats are more comfortable than a whole slew of German cars I drive/have driven. They are very supportive. If you're a bit too wide for the seats, that's fine, but again, that's just preference based on body structure.

The clutch was a little different from VW or Honda, but you get used to it. It's just different and I feel that most people that complain about it are just people who are coming off Honda and BMW clutches with generally less power.

Overall, the feel of the drive is important to me and I like a more planted ride. Sure the base G37 is still pretty sporty (the sportiest of the Japanese entry-level luxury sedans), but some want a bit more sport with their ride. I think everything added adds some performance, and visual flair to the car.

Last edited by roots4x; 02-13-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cuz the Miatas usually go out around 60k.