Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thoughts on g37s 6mt?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:57 PM
ajosowiecky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on g37s 6mt?

So I have been looking for g37 coupe for the last year or so, im in no rush to buy, as im still in high school and use currently my sisters Jetta However sometimes one will come up for the right price and i just become obsessed. I found this one here:
Used 2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe NJ | All State Motors | Used Cars, SUV & Trucks Perth Amboy New Jersey

Ik, typically you dont buy from a dealer like this but it had a decent looking car fax, and the second owner lived in Beach Haven, NJ which just so happens to be my favorite place on earth , it's almost like a sign to me. Anyway, im just wondering if anyone out there can give me advice on this, and what to look for when i go to see the car later this week.
Thanks in advance,
Alex
Old 09-29-2015, 02:07 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
well in a situation like this I would say it would be in your best interest TO buy from a dealer. You can still negotiate if you are savy enough and you can get a warranty (which you may need) which you cannot really get from a private sale. If this is your first car driving stick this car will be a challenge. Not because of an over abundance of power or anything but getting used to the clutch will be a pain. The car is loads of fun and is addictive to drive, but be smart about it and if for whatever reason something doesn't feel right to you...stick with your gut
Old 09-29-2015, 09:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Do you, your family, or friends have a trusted mechanic or shop that can give that car a good inspection? Private lot sales should be handled w/ more scrutiny, you can find great cars but also real cash cows, so going in w/ realistic expectations is key, and being able to walk away if something seems amiss. Don't fall in love w/ the car, it will blind you to potential problems.

EvilGenius has a good reply, that dealer warranty is good to have, those warranties that private lots carry are usually loaded w/ fine print and rarely cover anything major.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
"Beach Haven, NJ which just so happens to be my favorite place on earth" you don't get out much :-) The color Blue Slate, that's what we have and its a really nice color. Looks different in different lighting situations.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:57 PM
blackstorm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, Coming from someone who just purchased a 2009 g37 less than a year ago.... I would wait around or search farther. Given that this coupe seems to have some wear and tear on the interior and it has 75k+ miles on it already. Also this coupe does not have navigation or hard drive or rear view camera. Though these options may not mean much to you, it helps with resale value and ends up being worth it in the long run.

I bought my coupe with 55k miles, 6 speed black on black with all options including compact disc slot, with 1 owner and pristine interior condition from a Chrysler dealership for 18.5k out the door and then i went and took my car to an infiniti dealership and got them to approve it for their extended bumper to bumper warranty for an additional 3k. so now im covered bumper to bumper until 2018 or 115k miles. And i didnt just visit a local dealer and find the right car, i drove 4 hours to get this car. It may seem crazy but if you think about it when your spending this amount of money on something, driving far to get exactly what you want/need isnt such a bad idea. In the end its your decision.

Last edited by blackstorm; 09-29-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: type
Old 09-29-2015, 02:39 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
^^It's not exactly bumper to bumper but very close. Still, it's hard to put a price on peace of mind I just purchased the same for mine, 8 yrs, 100K miles coverage. Decided on the longest term available as I plan on keeping the car for a long time. Probably help resale value too if I decide to sell the car in the future.

Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, battery, clutch disc
(manual transmission), tires, disc brake rotors, squeaks, rattles, water leaks, wind noise, and
normal maintenance items as specified in the Infiniti Owners Manual are not covered.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:33 PM
spinna001

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
i would offer 15,000
Old 09-30-2015, 11:01 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by ajosowiecky
......as im still in high school and use currently my sisters Jetta
Alex
Take a cold shower, finish High School and continue to use the Jetta

... and the second owner lived in Beach Haven, NJ which just so happens to be my favorite place on earth , it's almost like a sign to me......
Alex
So what! Not a rational reason to purchase an expensive vehicle

Anyway, im just wondering if anyone out there can give me advice on this, and what to look for when i go to see the car later this week.
Thanks in advance,
Alex
Ask if the seller is willing to pay for a complete inspection by an Infiniti dealer that will run the VIN number for you to give you a service history.
Any deficiencies uncovered can be used to either negotiate the price or walk away.

Just my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman
Old 09-30-2015, 11:54 AM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Ask if the seller is willing to pay for a complete inspection by an Infiniti dealer that will run the VIN number for you to give you a service history.
Any deficiencies uncovered can be used to either negotiate the price or walk away.

Just my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman
^ i agree with your first two takes - completely spot on. but why would a seller pay for a vehicle inspection? that is incumbent on the buyer, not the seller. it can be a condition of sale that the seller allows the inspection, but the buyer is responsible for all costs (etc) related to the inspection.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:04 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Take a cold shower, finish High School and continue to use the Jetta

So what! Not a rational reason to purchase an expensive vehicle

Just my $.02

Good luck

Telcoman
Amen!!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 12:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
No seller in their right mind is going to pay for any inspections. They may try to accommodate a buyer's request to do so, but that would be it.

A dealer running a VIN won't reveal true service history. My car is a great case and point. I do all my own maintenance. In 4 years of ownership the car has been to the dealer twice. Once for a warranty repair and 2nd time for a non warranty service. If one were to look at those two history points alone it would appear as though I don't ever service the car. What the OP really needs to do is bring someone that knows what to look for, or as you say, pay for a thorough inspection.

The car in question is 6 years old with 75K miles, there will be things it will need. It's also a manual. OP should plan on possible new clutch and/CSC replacement in the coming future. Hard to tell what condition the tires are in from the pics. As a youth in HS, only the OP knows if he can afford a $3K repair bill. What about insurance costs.

My 2¢, keep driving the jette