Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob G37x sedan; G35x sedan comparo

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Warp37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob G37x sedan; G35x sedan comparo

Hi, folks. I traded my 08 G35x in yesterday for a 2010 G37x, premium, interior accents, SQ/wheat. I am happy, particularly since I took the cash from the trade-in diff between what I owed and what they gave me for the G35 -- at 1.9 per cent.

I've cruised a bit on this site and will be checking it out much more. Dig!

Of course, it's way early for me to do a complete comparo between the two, since I've yet to hit 100 miles on the new G. But a few quick comments:

First, I have not jammed on the 37. I am going to follow Infiniti's recommended break in. I read the thread about whether to do it, and I decided it can't hurt to follow the manufacturer's recommendation. The car, that is. It hurts my right foot seriously.

ITA that the steering seems a bit, shall I say, easier on the G37. This may be in part because of the new tires (the ones on the 35 were close to needing to be replaced). Time will tell, but I can't say it doesn't seem to handle any worse. It's just a bit more "responsive" with less road feel.

The throttle is quite different. In the 35, if you push the pedal down more than one tenth of the way, it's all Earnhart. Not so with the 37, at least in D mode. I understand the 35s were even more wild until Infiniti came out with a code fix. Anyway, I kind of like having a bit of room, but until I DRIVE this thing, I won't really know how far I have to push to get the rush.

The back-up camera totally rocks.

The high-gloss maple is, incredibly, even better than the rose wood. You can see INTO it in the sunlight. Does not look like plastic, as is the case with other high-gloss wood accents I've seen.

I'll update this later, but let me finish by saying that I bought a luxury sport sedan. If I only wanted to drive like the cops were chasing me all the time, I'd have bought a Mustang GT or a WRX STi. So, I can deal with the more tame response in D mode. Not to say I won't have it in DS most of the time.

P.S. -- This site taught me that DS is actually a mode. Before I read the threads yesterday on the lag, I thought DS was simply where you had to be to manually shift. It pays to read the (cumbersome) manual!
Old 07-23-2010, 10:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Warp37
P.S. -- This site taught me that DS is actually a mode. Before I read the threads yesterday on the lag, I thought DS was simply where you had to be to manually shift. It pays to read the (cumbersome) manual!
Congrats on your new Gx!
I had an 07 and never knew about DS being a "mode" either, lol. The dealer when I got our 09 breezed through the features and mentioned flipping the gearshift to the left to drive in sport mode and also to activate the manual shift features. I told him I used the manual shifter but never left the shifter in DS just to drive around, and he did reiterate that it was a mode unto itself. I rarely drive in D around town since I found this out, only on the hwy does it rest in D.

Agree about the wood finish on the 10s, much classier and looks like it cost much more than the previous wood trim options.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Warp37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks!

Thing is, even in DS, I have noticed that in 7th gear, same RPM (2k at 60 mph). There's really no reason to ever take it out of DS.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:24 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have both an '08 and '09 x in our garage currently.

i very much enjoy the G37x over the G35x in terms of performance and driveability... the 37's tranny smoothes out over time.. the 37 has that deeper seated performance with the bigger engine/torque and extra couple accelerating gears...

The '37 does have the quirks as mentioned in many threads.. but they are by far and away not intolerable... i love the car.