G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three questions (exhaust, service intervals and tinting)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM
TissueGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three questions (exhaust, service intervals and tinting)

Hi all,

I purchased a 2010 G37x sedan in April graphite shadow/ graphite interior (premium and nav). I stayed away from the sport package because of my long commute. So far I have 5k miles on the car and have loved every minute of it. Many thanks all of you who post on the forums. Not only did you help me pick the right car for me, but also I got a great deal. After doing tons of research, test drives, etc. IMO the G was the best/most car for the money for what I was looking for. Going from a 2007 v-6 accord to this has been amazing.

Now, three random questions:
1. Service intervals- I do mostly highway driving in the Northeast; is it safe to service every 7500 miles instead of 3750?
2. I would like to do something to enhance the engine sound/exhaust note, but nothing over the top. Can anyone make a suggestion here (axel back, cat back, etc.)?
3. Also, I thought about some light window tinting for side and rear windows, but do not want to attract police attention. (I live in PA). I never got a speeding ticket driving my Honda back and forth to work doing 85mph + as I just blended in on the road (accords tend to do that).

I am only looking for slight modifications, you have to understand, and this car sort of fits the bill as my “mid-life crisis” purchase. I have a car seat in the back and use the car for mostly commuting. However once I am back roads, it’s a blast to drive.

Any thoughts on the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Larry

Last edited by G37Sam; 06-29-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
2) Check this section, search and look around
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-and-exhaust-328/

There are many options available, pick the one that suits your needs
Old 06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
csnpsu

1) Did you buy it or lease it? If you bought it i would take good care of it and change every 3,750

2)Get Berks High flow cats, i have them on my G and i love them. Same G sound just louder

3)I have 35% all around and have never been bothered for it. If you want to go even lighter go with 50% all around.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
MOB

congrats on the ride....they are super fun to drive aren't they!

Film--I've got SolarGard HP Quantum film on my car & love it...black in color & a bit reflective but not "chromish" with the darker shades. 52% on the fronts which is very light but has a good amount of UV/heat protection, and 14% on the rear which depending on the angle kind of looks like a blackish mirror. Looks real nice IMO.

Oil--FIrst OC I went with the Nissan Ester, now on the 2nd and went with Pennzoil Platinum. I commute in my G as well & change it out at about 6K intervals. Even with a high grade ester/synthetic, not sure I'd wait 7500 miles....better safe than sorry especially if those back road runs become more frequent.

Exhaust--I too have been searching and searching for the right answer (for me at least) on a cat-back or axle-back. What kills me on that topic is the high costs associated with these systems that don't bring a good hp:dollar justification....

For me, I think I'm headed into sway bars & springs before touching exhaust &/or intake.

Have fun with it!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Film - one consideration is going with carbon or metalic based. The G has systems like the TPMS and other electronics that may be affected by metal tints. Fact is folks have metal and are running fine apparently so if you're cautious I'd go with carbon to ensure this is a non-issue.

Oil- 7500 is possible but I'd do it gradually and with testing to ensure the oil is up to it. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php

Exhaust - If you just want Sound amp, axleback seems an easy choice but then CB have dropped in price and there's some nice systems out there... ARK Grip for one. Other things to consider besides sound are, dual exhaust look, mount asthetics & quality dual walled tips - Tanabe met my criteria here.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be careful in PA with the tints. Apparently the laws can be a bit stricter there, like 70% if this is correct:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-the-fuzz.html

In MD the legal limit is 35%. I'm slightly under that (combine the factory 80% or whatever it is with 30% solargard hp supreme which yielded in the 20s somewhere). But cops never seem to give it a second look -- so far.

But you are also in a state that requires yearly inspections, so that could be a potential source of trouble unless you know someone who will pass it for you.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:28 PM
jkat13

I am in the same situation as you with the tint. I live in PA also and have been contemplating getting it tinted. From what I understand, state inspections stations do not reject you for the tint (at least most of them), but obviously the police can and will inforce the tint laws.

The laws in PA are ambiquious, so that is sort of on our side. Anything below 70% is supposedly illegal but the state law says that anything that does not allow view inside the vehicle. Around the Pittsburgh area, I see a ton of cars running around with really dark tint.

I am probably going to go with something in the 50% range. I think if the cop can still see you in the car, then the will not stop you for tint. The factory windows already block a certain % of light, so be careful there.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:35 PM
SM_Shadowman

I've found if you have it closed, opening the sunroof or sunroof cover will help "lighten up" the tints in a pinch.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
1. If you switch to a synthetic such as Pennzoil Ultra, you could probably stretch it out to 7500. I'd start off somewhere in the middle at 5000 miles for awhile until you see how your car takes to it. Every car is different.

2. Well, everyone has their preferences... I have a Fast Intentions full catback system for the X sedan. Fit's perfectly, and has a deep aggressive tone to it. Not sure if that's for you or not... some vids:

YouTube - VID00060.AVI

YouTube - VID00062.AVI

YouTube - VID00061.AVI

3. Tint... my go-to guy uses Johnson Window film... I got 35% all around... that's the darkest I can go on all 5 windows (no windshield) legally here in Illinois. I'd go as dark as your state laws allow. You will regret going too light, trust me. lol
Old 07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
TissueGuy

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick and informative responses. Compared to most of you I am an amateur at best. The info is very helpful. Tons of great stuff throughout these forums. Now time to convince the wife!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:43 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
Be careful in PA with the tints. Apparently the laws can be a bit stricter there, like 70% if this is correct:
Tint and the Fuzz! - MyG37

In MD the legal limit is 35%. I'm slightly under that (combine the factory 80% or whatever it is with 30% solargard hp supreme which yielded in the 20s somewhere). But cops never seem to give it a second look -- so far.

But you are also in a state that requires yearly inspections, so that could be a potential source of trouble unless you know someone who will pass it for you.
I had 35% put on the front windows and 18% put on the back ones. When they were done I had them check one of the front windows, where they had put 35% on and the meter read it as 28%. So if 35% is your state limit you have to take in account the tint that is already in the G windows.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:38 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by movinon
I had 35% put on the front windows and 18% put on the back ones. When they were done I had them check one of the front windows, where they had put 35% on and the meter read it as 28%. So if 35% is your state limit you have to take in account the tint that is already in the G windows.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. The 30% tint that was installed came out to low 20-something. I was, ahem, stretching it a bit. Factory tint is something like 79% So multiply whatever percentage tint you put on by .79 and that's the percentage you'll end up with.

But for the OP, in PA the limit arguably may be as low as 70%!

Last edited by SM_Shadowman; 07-03-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Chivas11

hello everyone, yeah tinting window laws do kinda blow.. Im in CA and they are strict too, so what did i do... just went ahead and went 5% back windows and 15% in the front windows... just risk it, is my opinion..
Old 07-04-2010, 09:29 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I told the tint guy I didn't want the rear window tint cut around the brake light. He said there was not suppose to be any extra tint covering the rear window brake light.

I doubt if I will get stopped for it, if I do I'll just go back and have the tint cut out around the brake light.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:51 PM
imageplayer

I drive 72highwaymiles/day and I change with mobile 1 every 12K... I was going to change at 8K but my regular mechanic checked the oil and told me it was still as good as new and told me to check the level at 10-12k.

Quick Reply: Three questions (exhaust, service intervals and tinting)