G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three questions (exhaust, service intervals and tinting)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:44 PM
KLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imageplayer
I drive 72highwaymiles/day and I change with mobile 1 every 12K... I was going to change at 8K but my regular mechanic checked the oil and told me it was still as good as new and told me to check the level at 10-12k.
Checked it how?

You might want to get a used oil analysis done. I had two done on Mobil1 and they were not very good. They were at 7K and then 6K.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drive 72highwaymiles/day and I change with mobile 1 every 12K... I was going to change at 8K but my regular mechanic checked the oil and told me it was still as good as new and told me to check the level at 10-12k.
What exactly did your mechanic do to check your oil and make this determination? Did this involve sending it in for a used oil analysis lab test? Or did he just look at the oil and tell you it looked "good as new?" And is he honestly recommending you not fulfill your maintenance requirement while your car is still under warranty? (I'm assuming the car is still under warranty since you indicated in another thread you drive 72 miles/day and have thirty-some-thousand miles on the car. )

Probably it's not a good idea to post that kind of information on a public forum.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:35 AM
imageplayer

my guy had worked at Lexus service center for 14 years before he started his own Japanese auto service with 2 other partners.. After putting 18k, I decided to put mobil1 at a mobile service station (jiffylube type) near my home after getting a discount flyer. They charged me $49.99+tax for synthetic oil..

right before the car hit 25k, I took the car for oil change at my guy .. He charges $65+tax for mobile1. When it was all over, he told me at the register that my oil was still clean and asked me when and what type of oil I had put in.. yadi yada, he said I still have a few thousand miles more with mobile1... He drives a Carrera 4s and he said he changes oil every 15k..
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 AM
KLB

my guy had worked at Lexus service center for 14 years before he started his own Japanese auto service with 2 other partners.. After putting 18k, I decided to put mobil1 at a mobile service station (jiffylube type) near my home after getting a discount flyer. They charged me $49.99+tax for synthetic oil..

right before the car hit 25k, I took the car for oil change at my guy .. He charges $65+tax for mobile1. When it was all over, he told me at the register that my oil was still clean and asked me when and what type of oil I had put in.. yadi yada, he said I still have a few thousand miles more with mobile1... He drives a Carrera 4s and he said he changes oil every 15k..
What he does with his car does not have any bearing on what you should do with your car. You can not tell from looking at oil how well it is holding up or doing it's job. Not to mention that how a Porsche engine and an Infiniti engine break down oil would be totally different.

Remember that Infiniti says you should change your oil at least every 7500 miles. If you choose to ignore that and you have engine problems, they can try to deny you warranty coverage. There would then be a battle between you and Infiniti trying to prove whether your oil had anything to do with your engine problem.

From what people have been seeing from used oil analyses you would probably lose the battle.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
BillPaul

Originally Posted by KLB
What he does with his car does not have any bearing on what you should do with your car. You can not tell from looking at oil how well it is holding up or doing it's job. Not to mention that how a Porsche engine and an Infiniti engine break down oil would be totally different.

Remember that Infiniti says you should change your oil at least every 7500 miles. If you choose to ignore that and you have engine problems, they can try to deny you warranty coverage. There would then be a battle between you and Infiniti trying to prove whether your oil had anything to do with your engine problem.

From what people have been seeing from used oil analyses you would probably lose the battle.
Good advice. Do what the owner's manual tells you to do or lose the warranty.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM
imageplayer

noted.. thx

I just hate going in for oil change frequently.. I wish there's a way that I'd only need to service my car (oil&more) once a year. I'm willing to pay $$$.. and it's not just my car that I have to take it in for servicing -- my wife's suv, my mom's CRV, my dad's stupid old benze that's responsible for bad air quality of our entire county, and occasionally my aunt's camry which has a stench of wet dog.. it's like planning a vacation every 3-4 months...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Next time you buy a car, check out the maintenance requirements in advance if that is an important point for you. Some cars these days let you go 10,000 miles or 12 months between each oil change -- the VQ is a bit behind the curve on that one unfortunately.

No mechanic, no matter how experienced, can determine anything useful about oil just from looking at it. The presence of certain metals, and the remaining level of the oil's additive package are important to know for making such a determination, and that can only be determined in a lab. Ask for a sample of your oil and send it into Blackstone if you want some real information.

Mobil 1 is a good oil, and many cars can get super-long use out of it. It's just that according to lab tests done by many users of this and other forums specifically using the G37's engine, Mobil 1 hasn't performed as well with this engine as it has with many other engines. That's not to say it will harm your car or anything, but there are some other synthetic oils that may be able to last longer without needing a change so often.

But like others have said, wait until your warranty expires before thinking about going over 7,500 miles between changes.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
KLB

noted.. thx

I just hate going in for oil change frequently.. I wish there's a way that I'd only need to service my car (oil&more) once a year. I'm willing to pay $$$.. and it's not just my car that I have to take it in for servicing -- my wife's suv, my mom's CRV, my dad's stupid old benze that's responsible for bad air quality of our entire county, and occasionally my aunt's camry which has a stench of wet dog.. it's like planning a vacation every 3-4 months...
You can look at Amsoil. Some of their oil is specifically for intervals like that. They also have a warranty of their own concerning engine failure due to oil. I personally won't use it at this time, but other people use it for all types of cars.