G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone wish G37 gained tq instead of hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I love the 2008+ CTS-Vs. Very cool indeed. Love that engine. You could tune that, and up the PSI on the SC, and get like another 30/30 hp / tq if 500+ isn't enough, lol....
Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Remo101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys are easily getting over 650 HP at the wheels with around 660 lbs of torque in the 2009+ CTS-V. That's with minor mods. Crank pulley to increase boost, CAI, Headers, exhaust, and tune.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

^^ I don't want to hear about it. Leave me alone, lol!
Old 04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Remo101

OK, no more V talk. The Sillen supercharger was looking good. I was thinking about getting one if the V deal didn't go through.

That SC kit would give a nice boost in TQ. I would love to drive a boosted G to compare.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:16 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The CTS-V is around $65K though. It's not like we could have had all that torque for the same price as the G.

I'd love to get my hands on one of the CTS-V wagons though. There's something oddly sexy about a torque/hp monster disguised as a utilitarian car.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is CTS-V coupe gonna come out anytime soon? I actually quick like the coupe's design... not saying that I'm not liking the sedan either. hahaha
Old 04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Remo101

The coupe should be hitting show rooms next month. I like the coupe as well. Need the 4 doors though. I have 2 kids I drive to school every morning. That's one the the main reasons I switched.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 PM
redz06

Torque

Originally Posted by da mayor
270 torque is a lot to get out of a V6 motor before going FI.
Just want to remind all of the bench racers that the 2003 G35 sedan im my garage delivers 260 ft-lb of torque. You will have to wind your 3.7 liter engines a lot more than 4000 prm to see much difference, making the 328 hp rating all a numbers game. Sure, there is more go available for those that want to wind the **** out of the G37 engine, but where does one go to do it safely?

Over an 8 year period, is raising the torque rating of the G engine from 260 to 270 ft-lbs really much of an achievement?
Old 04-25-2010, 01:27 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redz06
Just want to remind all of the bench racers that the 2003 G35 sedan im my garage delivers 260 ft-lb of torque. You will have to wind your 3.7 liter engines a lot more than 4000 prm to see much difference, making the 328 hp rating all a numbers game. Sure, there is more go available for those that want to wind the **** out of the G37 engine, but where does one go to do it safely?

Over an 8 year period, is raising the torque rating of the G engine from 260 to 270 ft-lbs really much of an achievement?
Stop raining on my parade.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:09 AM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by redz06

There is no magic when it comes to engine output. Either you rev the engine to get the power or up the displacement, or forced induction. Dropping in larger motor will give you more torque, but fuel economy will suffer. Force induction will be great but cost more to produce and cost more to maintain. Some people will tell me about direct injection, that will give you some more power at higher cost too. In any case, a rev happy engine make more enjoyable driving experience. The G37 is not gutless in acceleration in any way, most of us do not have the skill to use the car to its full potential. And I do not understand the fascination with 4000rpm; it only takes a few seconds more to rev to 7000rpm.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:46 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

^^ Well, that's exactly it - lots of torque makes up for lack of skill. Seriously, In everyday traffic, it just gets tiresome revving to 5k just to accelerate quickly to get past so and so so you can get to the turn or the exit or whatever. It's nice to generate lots of torque in the 2-3500k range so one can be in a lower gear and just sort of step on it a little without making a huge fuss in order to slip into a desired traffic area. revving beyond 4k is loud and noisy and a lot more fun in a track situation. Revving above 4k all the time in traffic to get where you want to go tends to make one look like an immature @sshatt. vroom vroom vroom is not how I want to spend my commuting day. Plus, if you ahve passengers, they too do not want to be assaulted by all of the NVH mess constantly as you battle traffic.

A but more torque down low would have been / be nice.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:49 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Remo101
The coupe should be hitting show rooms next month. I like the coupe as well. Need the 4 doors though. I have 2 kids I drive to school every morning. That's one the the main reasons I switched.
I have a friend that has a 2008 CTS-V - horsepower and tq is unbelievable, but he finds it hard to get it to the ground as it has really bad wheel hop due to the multi-link rear. Takes a really good driver to get the most out of that car. Most people just slip slide away...
Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
^^ Well, that's exactly it - lots of torque makes up for lack of skill. Seriously, In everyday traffic, it just gets tiresome revving to 5k just to accelerate quickly to get past so and so so you can get to the turn or the exit or whatever. It's nice to generate lots of torque in the 2-3500k range so one can be in a lower gear and just sort of step on it a little without making a huge fuss in order to slip into a desired traffic area. revving beyond 4k is loud and noisy and a lot more fun in a track situation. Revving above 4k all the time in traffic to get where you want to go tends to make one look like an immature @sshatt. vroom vroom vroom is not how I want to spend my commuting day. Plus, if you ahve passengers, they too do not want to be assaulted by all of the NVH mess constantly as you battle traffic.

A but more torque down low would have been / be nice.
I couldn't have said it better. But damn this thing loves to be revved! Seems like it just keeps on revving till the next gear! But i do agree that having the engine scream through town isn't ideal and some more down low tq would've been nice. Nevertheless it is still fun to drive.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 AM
redz06

T vs HP

Yeah, if your torque and HP are low enough, traction is no problem!

Sorry, could not resist!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Remo101

Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I have a friend that has a 2008 CTS-V - horsepower and tq is unbelievable, but he finds it hard to get it to the ground as it has really bad wheel hop due to the multi-link rear. Takes a really good driver to get the most out of that car. Most people just slip slide away...
The first generation CTS-Vs did have an issue with wheel hop. A 2008 CTS-V is still the first generation.

The first year of the 2nd Gen CTS-V was 2009. The wheel hop issue has been corrected. The suspension with the magnetic ride control is unbelievable in the 2nd Gen! I do have to control the throttle on launch still or I will just be sitting with the wheels spinning. Hitting the gas at 30mph in first gear is AMAZING. I have only felt similar acceleration on a motorcycle. My wife hates it, she says it feels like she is going to cough up her stomach. I love it!

Quick Reply: Anyone wish G37 gained tq instead of hp?