Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gear grinding normal

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM
chillinuf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2nd gear grinding normal

You read that right. This all took place over the phone, but Orlando Infiniti tells me after having my car all day that according to their engineer it is normal for the tranny to grind from 1st to 2nd at high rpm (7k).

I obviously told them that is ridiculous and to produce the documentation that details the "normal transmission grind". Oh that doesn't exist? No kidding.

After explaining to the service adviser that I'm a mechanical engineer and not the average village idiot he agreed with me, but was "just delivering the message". WTF? He tells me he will go back to the service manager who should be in contact with me. They offered to let me drive another 6MT so I could see for myself that it's normal, LMAO. Oh yeah, they don't have one....how convenient.

SOOO, since it's "normal"....does anybody have a regular grind shifting into 2nd when you tach it all the way over in 1st?

What do you guys think I should do from here besides call Infiniti?

Thanks.

Last edited by chillinuf; 09-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 PM
WhiteG37S

I bounce it off the rev-limited daily and I never grind...either you synchros are out or you just don't know how to shift!!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:38 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Describe the grind?

I don't have this problem, but hopefully traffic will be good enough for me to test it out today.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One member here said his dealer gave him a new clutch and trans. He said the dealer told them they've done 6 trans already. But that was a coupe. Should be no different!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
js3350z

maybe your not pushing the clutch far enough... to much gangster lean going on in the sedan???

Driving around very lazily (didn't push clutch far enough and didn't revmatch) was the only time I ever messed up and heard that aweful sound... but it only happened once to get my attention forever
Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
vINCe_Inc

dude my clutch clatters and clunks like its falling apart ! i gckn hate it. i drove an audi and i got none of that. although the audi felt numb and disconnected.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM
chillinuf

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Describe the grind?

I don't have this problem, but hopefully traffic will be good enough for me to test it out today.

Good old fashioned grind. As soon as I hit the gate for 2nd it crunches. It's notchy just in regular driving. I've found if, when i'm shifting, I go for 2nd, but only put some pressure on it, give it a split second or so, then slip it into gear i can avoid the notchiness. Hard to describe, but its a nice piece of timing to get the shift to feel good. Only pushing the clutch in partially helps in regular driving relative to the notchiness as well. When I tach it over though, the clutch goes in all the way...period. Regardless, when i was demonstrating it for the lead tech at the dealer it wouldn't even go into gear on one run. Doesn't do it in any other gear and I've tried.

I can eliminate driver error as the problem because, well, I know how to drive. Keep in mind the dealer can duplicate the problem. That's what astonished me today when they said it was normal. The service adviser said to keep in mind most people don't rev the car that high as its an Infiniti. I asked him then does Nissan tell every Z car owner not to rev it in 1st because it will grind. How do they find these people.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM
js3350z

Originally Posted by chillinuf
Good old fashioned grind. As soon as I hit the gate for 2nd it crunches. It's notchy just in regular driving. I've found if, when i'm shifting, I go for 2nd, but only put some pressure on it, give it a split second or so, then slip it into gear i can avoid the notchiness. Hard to describe, but its a nice piece of timing to get the shift to feel good. Only pushing the clutch in partially helps in regular driving relative to the notchiness as well.
I do that as well, casual driving I don't push the clutch all the way, and let it fall into gear rather then forcing it in there. Something must be wrong in your trans, my friend had his whole trans replaced at 2,000 miles, but his issue wasn't anything like this

I am not claiming to be an expert, but it sounds like your synchro mesh is messed up... what you are describing is exactly what my first experience driving the tractor trailer at work was like (the trans in that truck doesn't have synchro mesh)
Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 AM
tonke73

They are blowing smoke up your backside. Your tranny isn't supposed to grind in any gear or at any rpm when shifting properly.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
chillinuf

Originally Posted by tonke73
They are blowing smoke up your backside. Your tranny isn't supposed to grind in any gear or at any rpm when shifting properly.
Amazing I couldn't convince anyone at this dealership of that. At any rate, I called Infiniti consumer affairs today and the promised me a call back from the regional rep by COB Monday. I'll keep everyone updated....
Old 09-11-2009, 11:05 PM
mal_TX

Not saying its your fault or anything but partial clutching, even during mild driving, causes extra wear on the synchros as they must fight the partial additional mass that you are not fully disconnecting.

2nd gear has an especially distant rpm drop from 1st, so your synchro has extra work to do to get those revs right.

I think in normal driving I have better results from a slight pause between 1 and 2, with the clutch fully pressed, to give the revs time to drop. Then I follow with a (hopefully) well timed smooth clutch release and then roll into the throttle...

anyway, 2nd gear is supposed to have triple cone synchros so it should be robust... yours sounds defective.