G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Service Engine Soon" - AHHH, what am I doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:59 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Like I said, get the code(s) read at AutoZone etc., come here, post what the code(s) is/are... then you will know a lot before actually going to the dealer... in case they try to pull one over on you saying you need new headlight fluid or something.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
Like I said, get the code(s) read at AutoZone etc., come here, post what the code(s) is/are... then you will know a lot before actually going to the dealer... in case they try to pull one over on you saying you need new headlight fluid or something.
That's a waste of time. What ever he may need will be warrantied anyway, even his muffler bearings and blinker fluid. They can't get anything over on him.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 PM
jmsg37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay guys... I thought it was for my own peace of mind, but this is for yours. So, it was the fuel cap. They said it would have gone away in another few days. I did pitch a little bit of a fit because I had only had the car 5 days, so they looked at it immediately and got it back to me in about 20 minutes.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:08 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by jmsg37
Okay guys... I thought it was for my own peace of mind, but this is for yours. So, it was the fuel cap. They said it would have gone away in another few days. I did pitch a little bit of a fit because I had only had the car 5 days, so they looked at it immediately and got it back to me in about 20 minutes.
I think that is why they made my appointment for a week out from when I called.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
jmsg37

I have no regrets. If it had been something serious I'd have been mad that I waited.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:18 AM
aznutx

most important thing is ur peace of mind
Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 AM
jmsg37

That's exactly right. Now, if the break-in period would just end already.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Don't wait. It took nearly a month for my plates to come in.
How do you know what state he lives in? Maybe his state does not take as long as New Jersey. For example, Arizona can get your plates to you in one week.

Make an appointment ASAP. If it hasn't gone off by now with all the miles you've driven since checking the cap, I doubt it's the gas cap.
Resetting has nothing to do with the miles you've driven. It has to do with the number of driving trips. After a minimum of three driving trips (5 miles or more), the system will reset itself. Driving 100 miles in one trip will not reset the system. Also, turning the ignition off and on every block or two will not reset the system.

Don't clear the light either. The technician is going to need it on to see what the problem is.
The computer memory will store the code, whether you turn the light off by resetting or not.

P.S. Sorry. I didn't read the posts after this original post. The multiple trips clearing the gas cap was the right call. I just had to respond to this post with all incorrect information. My lack of self control, I guess.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
Resetting has nothing to do with the miles you've driven. It has to do with the number of driving trips. After a minimum of three driving trips (5 miles or more), the system will reset itself. Driving 100 miles in one trip will not reset the system. Also, turning the ignition off and on every block or two will not reset the system.
Where do you find this information?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
At 500 miles or so engine light came on.
Used portable reader to look it up and got code P0456. checked the gas cap and looked okay. Reset the code and the next day engine light came back on.
So I took it to a dealership and I was told that this is due to gas cap and already replaced 5 other G37s.

Been over 150 miles and so far no engine light.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Actually they did more than simply replaced gas cap. Dealer performed EVAP system check for leaks and pressure test. Also received free car wash. Service was top notch.
I will say this, no matter how minor problem maybe "Service Engine Soon" ruins the feeling of new car ownership especially for first time Infiniti buyer.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Where do you find this information?
It's in the Bosch and Denso manuals. Dealers should have this information. It is not a secret. Been made available to the public for years.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
That's a waste of time. What ever he may need will be warrantied anyway, even his muffler bearings and blinker fluid. They can't get anything over on him.
Takes 5 minutes to go to AZ for them to read the code. I just think it's worth it to have as much information about your car as possible. It won't be under warranty forever. Let's say your car (warranty) is throwing P1283... you get it fixed... but a few years down the road, that same code pops up again, except this time, after your warranty runs out... Ouch.

The more info you have, the better IMO.

OP, glad you got it all resolved though!
Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Kwang

I have the same problem for days now... Looks like I will have to do a walk-in today since it's my only day off of work. Gah.... such a pain in the neck and the dealership is a good distance from my house!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
1. How do you know what state he lives in? Maybe his state does not take as long as New Jersey. For example, Arizona can get your plates to you in one week.

2. Resetting has nothing to do with the miles you've driven. It has to do with the number of driving trips. After a minimum of three driving trips (5 miles or more), the system will reset itself. Driving 100 miles in one trip will not reset the system. Also, turning the ignition off and on every block or two will not reset the system.

3. The computer memory will store the code, whether you turn the light off by resetting or not.
1. I don't know his state. Either way, there is no sense in waiting for his plates to come in just to make his appointment, because there is no guarantee that they can get his car in conveniently when his plates come in.

2. I know, it's called 3 trip logic, but there is also a thing called drive cycle. If there car goes enough miles to complete the drive cycle, the light will go off if it doesn't detect the problem. I had the same gas cap issue on my Elantra (which is also 3 trip logic) on a road trip and the light went off after several miles without any key cycles.

3. False! If you clear the code manually or disconnect the battery, all traces of the code will be gone. The only way there will be any memory of the code with the MIL off is if the computer turns the light off on its own or if the code is pending and hasn't set the light yet!

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Takes 5 minutes to go to AZ for them to read the code. I just think it's worth it to have as much information about your car as possible. It won't be under warranty forever. Let's say your car (warranty) is throwing P1283... you get it fixed... but a few years down the road, that same code pops up again, except this time, after your warranty runs out... Ouch.

The more info you have, the better IMO.

OP, glad you got it all resolved though!
It doesn't matter if you get the same code after the warranty ends. You pay. That repair isn't going to be warrantied a few years down the road anyway. At 200 something miles, I doubt anyone wants to go out of their way to autozone to get a code pulled, especially if there isn't one close. It won't hurt to get the code, but I don't think it's necessary this early into ownership!

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 09-01-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: "Service Engine Soon" - AHHH, what am I doing wrong?