G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Found water under carpet / mold odor (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Aurieg
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
That's what it is, got it! Thank you very much. Black Hawk customer service is quick to respond and they charge half of what we see in the states for these parts apparently.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:37 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Most companies in Japan do not offer free international shipping and thanks to this COVID crap shipping options are very limited. But, if they are footing the FedEx bill, then you got a good deal.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:41 PM
Aurieg
Registered Member

Nah I'm paying for it. But even with the shipping of around 100 I still save some money. I will let you know how much exactly once I replace my order with all these parts.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:59 PM
Aurieg
Registered Member

So I've placed an order with blackhawk japan and decided to do a price comparison with the parts we can source from US. I attached two screenshots below, but in summary blackhawk japan charged me $642.56 (incl expedited fedex shipping $159.34) and the stateside quote was $1,155.51 (incl 75.20 for regular shipping)

Old 02-04-2021, 09:42 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Sounds like you struck a good deal. Might have to check and see if they can find a spoiler for me... What do you do, just shoot them a email with part number(s)?

Let us know how it all arrives and works out.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:59 PM
Aurieg
Registered Member

I was communicating with them using whatsapp. They respond within minutes, just have part numbers ready and they will let you know; their phone is +81 80-6742-4950 (plus is a country code make sure to use + before 81). And as soon as I get my parts I will send an update with photos. I have no idea how to install this stuff besides body welt ones because they are as easy as pull and stick the rest not so sure.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:17 PM
Zschmidt014
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the upper weather strip fix this leak. The water run ways are identical to what I have going on. Is it possible that just the upper seals can fix this leak with out the triangle support and lower seals?
Old 02-18-2021, 03:20 PM
Zschmidt014
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the upper weather strip fix this leak. The water run ways are identical to what I have going on. Is it possible that just the upper seals can fix this leak with out the triangle support and lower seals?
Old 02-18-2021, 07:30 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Depends on your car. Some have had luck replacing just the upper seals, others did not.

Replacing the upper seal fixed my passenger side, but did nothing for the driver side. I ended up replacing all three (3) to save headaches and be done with it.

No leaks after countless inches of rain this past few months.

Best advice: try replacing just the upper seal and see if that fixes your leak. If it does, you are good to go, if not then you know the next step.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:07 PM
Aurieg
Registered Member

So my parts from Japan finally arrived. I placed my order on February 05, 2021 and paid extra for International Priority shipping. The parts took a while to be sourced, package was shipped on 2.18 and it took a little over a week to get to the states. Packed very well, all seals were in place and I saved a ton of money by ordering from them. I will try to install them all tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:54 PM
Aurieg
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Depends on your car. Some have had luck replacing just the upper seals, others did not.

Replacing the upper seal fixed my passenger side, but did nothing for the driver side. I ended up replacing all three (3) to save headaches and be done with it.

No leaks after countless inches of rain this past few months.

Best advice: try replacing just the upper seal and see if that fixes your leak. If it does, you are good to go, if not then you know the next step.
So, I replaced all door seals: upper, triangle and lower door on both sides. It was raining yesterday and I checked the car. It appears as passenger side still has the same issue as before. I carefully looked at the seal and where the water is coming from. And it appears to leak from underneath the upper seal. I attached a screenshot of someone else's photo that highlights the issue. In their case it was solved with a new seal. In mine however it appears to be something else. The car has a clean title so that should not be a problem. Driver's side was dry before seal replacement and it remained dry after, I installed seals the same way on both sides. It seems the water gets through that plastic roof trim and comes behind the seal and follows down where the kick panel is, instead of leaking in the interior it pools around kick panels and remains there. I imagine with heavier rainfall it will end up overflowing inside. When I opened the door, I was surprised with a slush of water pouring out of the kick panel area. I'm gonna try to replicate the issue today while it's dry, and see what I can do.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Aurieg
Registered Member

UPDATE: As I mentioned before, the water was coming from under the top body side weather strip around the area in the photo from previous post. Seals are brand new, properly installed. To replicate the issue I started pouring water between the front pillar finisher and the roof, not in the sunroof because that is completely different drain system. With the weatherstripping in place, it was hard to see where the leak originated so I carefully pried the top weatherstrip off and I saw where the front pillar finisher met the roof of the car and followed the water drops. Once even a little bit of water was poured in the channel between roof and top plastic pillar the water immediately ran down inside the interior, the weatherstrip was simply routing the water in the kick panel area hence nothing was getting inside the interior until it was overfilled. The door seal kept water between the door and body side welt and once I opened it, a pool of water would be released on the ground.

After I removed front pillar finisher, it was obvious where the water was coming from. See attached photos. Not sure how the clip broke, not sure why this was removed at some point... But the fact is the water was simply getting under the pillar finisher, behind the seal and ran to the kick panel following channels in the weatherstrip. Front pillar finisher comes with a seal that supposed to keep water out, in my case it failed due to broken plastic clip. I will epoxy this part and put it back in place and test it.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:53 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

So, in other words, the dirt built up creating a "dam" effect and allowed water to seep under the finisher seal which was loose from the broken clip?

Sometimes it is the smallest things...
Hopefully this will resolve your leaking issue.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 04-01-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:22 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

@Aurieg , Any updates on this repair? Went out this morning (it rained last night) and noticed another leak (driver side). All new seals. So, I'm looking into what else it could be, now.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Aurieg
Registered Member

Passenger side has been dry after I cleaned the "gutter". Driver's side however isn't, I see a little bit of water accumulating on the kick panels, seems like it's coming from the door itself, bottom part and not from the top where the window seal is. If your leak is from up top, behind the seal than do what I did.

Quick Reply: Found water under carpet / mold odor (HELP)