Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Advise on G37/Q60 coupe purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:36 PM
AlexNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by takemorepills
I also own an over-powered 2016 GTI that is tuned. AWD is not overrated. My GTI can never put down all of its power, it is so frustrating. When it is at a speed where it won't spin the tires it is seriously quick! But I have to "pedal" the **** out of it to even keep up with a new F-150.
I swore I would never buy another 2wd performance car again. That is why I bought an AWD coupe. It is rare to see a manufacturer offer an AWD coupe. Most are RWD. The G37 videos I have seen show the RWD cars can still have a good deal of wheelspin even in good conditions (not near as bad as my GTI though!).
Also, I have heard it mentioned a few times in regards to boosting the G/Q, if you're gonna boost the 7AT model, may as well be the AWD. The RWD cars can be quite a handful when boosted.
i meant it as a daily driver awd does nothing to me, even in the snow here in ny. it does help a little more than a rwd car, but not enough for awd to be a must for me

i have zero intention of modding thhis ride other than tints.

the amount of time required to upkeep a modded ride along with money down the drain is just no longer feasible to me

Old 05-10-2018, 04:07 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexNY

i meant it as a daily driver awd does nothing to me, even in the snow here in ny. it does help a little more than a rwd car, but not enough for awd to be a must for me

i have zero intention of modding thhis ride other than tints.

the amount of time required to upkeep a modded ride along with money down the drain is just no longer feasible to me

I hear ya. If I could modify my driving behavior I would definitely be OK with 2WD vehicles. Where I live, we have poor traction conditions quite often. I like to get off the line as quickly as possible sometimes, and AWD ensures that'll always be possible. I have done just fine with 2WD vehicles in the winter. They stop and steer the same, so I can "make it work".
Old 05-10-2018, 06:32 PM
Supmar85

I would drive the car around 70-80 mph and see if there is any window noise due to weatherstrip on passenger side. We purchased a 2014 Q60 and that is an issue we realized after taking it home.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 PM
COBRA ESQ
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In August I went from a 2006 G35x Sedan to a 2014 Q60S AWD.

Nearly impossible to to find an IPL and IMHO not worth the extra. I was only looking at 2012+ because of the gasket issue and sport which is well worth a few extra bucks. Wanted a 6mt but most were beaten on or way over priced because the owner thinks he has gold (usually both lol). Finding a sport model is tough but they are out there. Good luck on your search.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Supmar85
I would drive the car around 70-80 mph and see if there is any window noise due to weatherstrip on passenger side. We purchased a 2014 Q60 and that is an issue we realized after taking it home.
See post #59 for the part number to repair (actually, the P/N is for drivers side, but you can use it to find pass side P/N in the parts diagram of an Infinit parts website) https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...-window-4.html

On my 2014 that part was torn at the top. Very noisy, and seems a common issue. I haven't had the car long enough to know why, nor have I heard why these seals get damaged, but the part is only $40 and somewhat easy to replace.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 AM
Supmar85

See post #59 for the part number to repair (actually, the P/N is for drivers side, but you can use it to find pass side P/N in the parts diagram of an Infinit parts website) https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...-window-4.html

On my 2014 that part was torn at the top. Very noisy, and seems a common issue. I haven't had the car long enough to know why, nor have I heard why these seals get damaged, but the part is only $40 and somewhat easy to replace.
thank you!! 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼
Old 05-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexNY
i think awd in these cars is way overrated. my g35x used to get stuck in the snow. not for lack of power, but rather because the car was too low so snow used to get stuck underneath and thus car got no traction.

so awd is not a requirement for me, however those extra options look very promising

well, the trick is AWD *and* snow tires. all-season tires are mediocre in the summer and crap in the snow.

i work until midnight, and often my drive home in winter is on unplowed, unsalted roads. in the great snowstorm of 2010, my AWD sports sedan w/snow tires got me home safely, driving around cars and SUV's abandoned all over the road.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:32 PM
TheRiddler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Supmar85
That's a thing? I wondered why it sounded like my passenger window was always open.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:21 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Landshark
well, the trick is AWD *and* snow tires. all-season tires are mediocre in the summer and crap in the snow.

i work until midnight, and often my drive home in winter is on unplowed, unsalted roads. in the great snowstorm of 2010, my AWD sports sedan w/snow tires got me home safely, driving around cars and SUV's abandoned all over the road.
Agreed! Just because you have 4WD or AWD doesn’t mean you’ll make it home in a snow storm. All 4 snow tires have gotten me to and from home safely for years in snow. Did not matter AWD, RWD, or FWD.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:06 AM
takemorepills
Registered Member

The problem I saw with AWD was that you can get up to speed pretty quickly without realizing that traction is bad due to weather conditions. With 2WD you get lots of wheelspin to remind you to "take it easy". Lots of Subies in ditches here in WA State during bad winters. Drivers get over-confident and out-drive their tires.
I used to get around in very bad winters with FWD and A/S tires.
AWD is an amazing tool. With the right tires and a knowledgeable driver, AWD is very good to have.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:29 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Lots of Subies in ditches here in WA State during bad winters.

... probably all on all-season tires. "i have AWD, no worries!"

i'd take FWD/RWD and snow tires over AWD and all-seasons.